Old February 20th 05, 09:15 PM
Kim & Steve Merrill

Default Stacking 5/8th-wave 2-meter elements x4

Sometimes it's just fun to see how far...
http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/outpvccm.html
This link brings you to a collection of e-mail exchanges outlining the
construction of a collinear 5/8th-wave 2-meter vertical. Insights,
discussions and inovations on 2, 3, and 4 stacked elements. Several great
images too.

Special thanks to Paul Anderson N8CVW /7. He took some ideas I played
around with (and posted on the WWWeb over 6 years ago) and really went
hog-wild!!
http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/5-8thx2j.htm

Hope you'll see there is still some fun to be had in the hobby, in the ways
of antenna modeling!

73
Steve KB1DIG

Old February 20th 05, 09:38 PM
Dan Richardson

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:15:44 -0500, "Kim & Steve Merrill"
wrote:

Special thanks to Paul Anderson N8CVW /7. He took some ideas I played
around with (and posted on the WWWeb over 6 years ago) and really went
hog-wild!!
http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/5-8thx2j.htm

I wonder what his 6dB gain reference is?

Danny, K6MHE
Old February 21st 05, 03:01 AM
Richard Harrison

Danny, K6MHE wrote:
"I wonder what his 6 dB gain is"

There is a "Super J" antenna on page 16-27 of the 19th edition of the
"ARRL Antenna Book". The book says the two stacked 1/2-wave collinear
elements provide about 6 dB gain over a 1/4-wave whip antenna and about
3 dB gain over a 5/8-wave antenna.

I won`t speculate that you actually get more gain from (2) stacked
5/8-wave sections, but it`s possible. Maybe 3 dB more, like a single
5/8-wave over a single 1/4-wave.

6 dB over a 1/4-wave whip is 8.14 dBi.
The 1/4-wave whip has a gain of 2.14 dBi

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old February 21st 05, 03:20 PM

6 dB over a 1/4-wave whip is 8.14 dBi.
The 1/4-wave whip has a gain of 2.14 dBi .......

The half wave vertical should have that 2.14 dbi gain.
A 1/4 wave ground plane should show about .3 db less...
Or when modeled anyway....

In general, a properly designed dual 5/8 collinear should
have appx 5.1 dbi gain. Or appx 3 dbd.... And yes, that
is slightly more than the dual 1/2 collinear should do.
If a single half wave shows 2.15 dbi, I wonder how adding
a second element can add another 3.85 db gain...???
Myself, I think their gain numbers are a little happy...
Also, in that super J article, the 1/4 wave and 5/8's they
compare to are mobile whips...This would greatly skew any
comparisons with the super J, being it's not a mobile antenna.
IE: make it look better than it really is...
An average elevated 1/4 GP will show appx
1.8 dbi or so...Only about .3 db difference from a 1/2 wave
that is elevated.
Of course, in the real world, the results can vary greatly
due to decoupling, or the lack of, etc...
I'd have to check/model the gain of the super J, but I'm
almost sure it would be less than 5.1 dbi...I'll take a wild
guess and say maybe .6 db less??? MK

Old February 21st 05, 08:34 PM

I was using elnec in that example. But I was using "free space".
I was trying to leave the ground out of it...
Also those models were all elevated at 40 ft at the base.
At that height using real ground/average, it had about 3.8 dbi
at 8 degrees.
In comparison, the 1/4 GP with sloping radials did about 1.8 dbi
free space. Real ground at 40ft, was about 3.0 dbi at 9 degrees.
So about .8 db difference using real ground.

The main reason I was sort of skeptical about the 3.85 db
increase was due to your next to the last statement.
I didn't think the close spacing would give that much gain.
As I quick test, I just tried adding another element above
the original, in that model. I used 2 sources to feed.
With the very close spacing of the two elements, the free
space gain was 3.59 dbi...A tad less than I expected...
The real ground numbers were 5.53 dbi, at 7 degrees.
So almost a perfect 2 db increase in that model over
real ground. As a comparison, with about a 1/2 wave
spacing, I got 7.23 dbi using the same real ground.
About 3.4 db increase...Could probably get more
with a wider spacing...
It's this spacing thing that made me dubious...
I couldn't see 3.85 extra, being the elements were
very close using the stub.

BTW...all the models I had were for 10m, at 40 ft....
MK

Old February 22nd 05, 01:19 AM
Roy Lewallen

Roy Lewallen wrote:

What modeling program are you using that gives those results? A half
wave vertical over perfect ground has about 5.15 dBi gain at the
horizon. . .

Correction -- a *quarter* wavelength ground-mounted vertical has the
gain I quoted. A half wavelength ground-mounted vertical has a slightly
narrower pattern, resulting in a little more gain over perfect ground.
It's about 6.9 dBi at the horizon.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL