Old February 23rd 05, 07:19 PM
Butch

Default New MFJ Telescoping Mast and Possibilities

OK. MFJ has a 33 ft. Telescoping Fiberglass Mast and collapses to 3.8
ft. If ever there was a pole with possibilities for multi design
vertical antennas and dipole/inv.Vs of the portable/toteable/permanent
type, this is it. It weighs in at only 3.3 pounds and costs $80.00
See the '05 catalog page 43 full details. It is flexible, it is black
making it somewhat stealthy and it is UV resistant. MFJ has done only
enough math to show that fully extended it is a full 1/4 wave for 40
mtrs. I don't know how many sections there are but each one pulls out
and twist locks into place. I'm going to get one and play around with
it. I'm dead in the middle of restricted covenant hell. My fault for
that, I had a stroke right in the middle of new home search and my wife
found this home in gated community bought it, but didn't think to ask
about the covenants.

Butch KF5DE
Old February 23rd 05, 08:03 PM
Cecil Moore

Butch wrote:

OK. MFJ has a 33 ft. Telescoping Fiberglass Mast and collapses to 3.8
ft. If ever there was a pole with possibilities for multi design
vertical antennas and dipole/inv.Vs of the portable/toteable/permanent
type, this is it. It weighs in at only 3.3 pounds and costs $80.00
See the '05 catalog page 43 full details. It is flexible, it is black
making it somewhat stealthy and it is UV resistant. MFJ has done only
enough math to show that fully extended it is a full 1/4 wave for 40
mtrs. I don't know how many sections there are but each one pulls out
and twist locks into place. I'm going to get one and play around with
it. I'm dead in the middle of restricted covenant hell. My fault for
that, I had a stroke right in the middle of new home search and my wife
found this home in gated community bought it, but didn't think to ask
about the covenants.

A less expensive solution is the SD-20 collapsible fishing pole
from West Bend available through Worldradio. http://www.wr6wr.com
20 feet and a high-Q loading coil does a good job on 40m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 23rd 05, 08:29 PM
Butch

Cecil Moore wrote:
Butch wrote:

[...]

Now, now Cecil. Think positive. Mine is 13 ft taller, much better
looking and does not smell like fish. Besides colapses to less than 4
ft. Will hold up a 40/80/160 half wave dipole or "V". Four of 'em will
support a full wave loop at 160, 320 even!!
With proper guying, no doubt will handle a Tail-Twister and 12 element
log periodic. Get rid of them negative waves radiating from your fishing
pole Cecil. Get a real and positive wave making MFJ high flyer! )
And all the children cried "Yea verily, and glory be unto MFJ (and Butch)"!

Butch Magee KF5DE
Old February 23rd 05, 09:28 PM
Bill Cherepy

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:19:51 -0600, Butch wrote:

OK. MFJ has a 33 ft. Telescoping Fiberglass Mast and collapses to 3.8
ft. If ever there was a pole with possibilities for multi design
vertical antennas and dipole/inv.Vs of the portable/toteable/permanent
type, this is it.

One of our club members has one and he uses it while camping. He hangs
a wire on it and runs a few radials and operates 20 and 40 meters. He
used it at our last JOTA operation in a local park with good results.

Bill WB4WTN

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA
Old February 23rd 05, 11:14 PM

Butch wrote:
[...]

Hi Butch, Get one, you will like it. I have had one for several
years, it's not really new. I have used it to support verticals in the
back of my pickup, truck body was counterpoise. Operated 80 and 40
with an L network tuner at the base.
The best results was using the 33' pole as the center support for an
inverted vee. You can't get the apex up to 33', because the pole is
too flimsy, but you can get it up 25 to 30'. Vee was a 100' doublet
fed with 450 ohm ladder line and a tuner. All sorts of tricks to
quickly erect, and take down the system. The antenna gives a good
account of itself on 80m-10m.
Gary N4AST

Old February 23rd 05, 11:41 PM
Butch

Butch wrote:

[...]

Good news Gary,...thanks and the setup was just what I was thinking, do
me a favor though, don't say anything to Cecil about only going up to 30
feet or so. He doesn't like my MFJ pushup, has a fixation on fish at
about 20 ft. ) (thats a 20ft smiley fish)
Old February 24th 05, 03:09 AM
Cecil Moore

Butch wrote:
Good news Gary,...thanks and the setup was just what I was thinking, do
me a favor though, don't say anything to Cecil about only going up to 30
feet or so. He doesn't like my MFJ pushup, has a fixation on fish at
about 20 ft. ) (thats a 20ft smiley fish)

Butch, for $80, I can buy 80 ft. of fishing poles. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 24th 05, 04:37 AM
Butch

Cecil Moore wrote:
Butch wrote:

Good news Gary,...thanks and the setup was just what I was thinking,
do me a favor though, don't say anything to Cecil about only going up
to 30 feet or so. He doesn't like my MFJ pushup, has a fixation on
fish at about 20 ft. ) (thats a 20ft smiley fish)

Butch, for $80, I can buy 80 ft. of fishing poles. :-)

Oh yeah, well for 6400.00 I can buy 80 33 footers! Wanna see my 4000.00
Drake? heh=heh :0)
Old February 24th 05, 06:39 PM
Charlie

Dump the wife, sell the house, and look for hilltop property! Simple!!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old February 25th 05, 12:30 AM

When I asked about the MFJ 33' mast at HRO, the gent behind the counter
told me "it is very whippy. You won't like it".

-JJ