Old February 24th 05, 03:43 AM
Joe S.

Default FT-857D and ASAT-120 question

I trust folks on this NG can stand one more question from me. Thanks to
those who have replied.

I am considering purchasing an FT-857D and ASAT-120. As I understand it,
the rig communicates with the antenna by coupling a control voltage to the
coax and the only connection required between the rig and the antenna is the
coax. The antenna does not require a separate connection to 12VDC -- right?

When I first key up the rig with the ASAT-120, is there a learning function
for the rig and antenna where I tune to each band and let the antenna and
rig remember the settings for each band?

Does the antenna automatically tune itself when I change bands, or, is there
an UP-DOWN switch on the rig that I must press while watching the reflected
power on the rig's meter?

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old February 24th 05, 03:40 PM
John Franklin

As I understand it the ATS-120 is just Yaesu's version of a screwdriver
antenna. I believe you still need to feed control current thru a cable and
not the coax. Not having used one somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm still using my MP-1 yet, too cheap to buy a "screwdriver type" antenna.

Old February 24th 05, 09:21 PM
Dave

All you do is push the Tune button if you have look at this link to yaesu
FT857 you will be able to read it yourself
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft857_manual.pdf

read from page 70

Old February 26th 05, 01:08 PM
Jon

Joe

All currents are fed via the coax and there is no separate 12v line. The rig
knows where the ATAS is tuned to and adjusts it accordingly when you press
the tune button. The ATAS can be manually tuned using the up and down
buttons but in my experience this is never required. Even on 40m (7.0 -
7.2MHz here in the UK) once tuned to the centre of the band retuning within
the band is not required.

I have changed the standard whip on my ATAS 120 for one that is about a foot
longer and it works great on all bands including 30, 17, 12 and 11m. I have
never used it on the VHF or UHF bands as I have a separate antenna for these
bands. Drop me an email if you want any more information.

Jon G2FHF

Old February 27th 05, 01:42 PM
Jim

Joe;

Only the connecting coax is required to tune the ATAS antenna.
You simply push the tune button on the 857 after changing bands and the
antenna tunes to the frequency of the 857. I briefly used an ATAS-100
with an FT-100D and presume its tune functions are carried over to the
replacement 857.
Good luck,
Jim, K4SQR