Old March 1st 05, 03:23 AM
Fuzzball

Default Cobra 1000 vs hidden mobile antennae

Hi All:

I currently have a magnetic mount Cobra 1000 antennae on my Suburban, and am
considering a switch to some type of hidden antennae, which I have seen
somewhere long ago. Most of my CB use is on trips where I caravan with
someone, and so performance is not the most important issue.

Do any of you have a recommendation of where/what/how a hidden antenna works
and what it's like?

Thanks!

Old March 1st 05, 10:36 AM
Bababooey

Fuzzball,

I've used this one from JC Whitney with some success (paste this string
into your browser)....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...01?Ntt=antenna

This antenna costs under $5, and from what I remember, reception was
decent. Basically you unplug your vehicle's AM/FM antenna from the radio
and plug it into this small box from JC Whitney. They you use the
enclosed cables to connect from the box to your AM/FM radio and to your
CB. There are 2 different SWR adjustments on this small box...1 is for
your AM/FM radio (if I remember correctly, you tune to a distant station
and turn the adjustment until the station is most clear) and then you tune
your CB to a certain channel, and this box has a built-in LED that you use
to make the proper adjustments to the SWR so your CB reception is good.
From what I remember, it worked well, and for under $5, you can't go
wrong!

Hope this helps.