RadioBanter

-   -   How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's take off angle? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/65687-how-can-i-measure-observe-my-hf-antennas-take-off-angle.html)

Cecil Moore March 4th 05 06:41 PM

wrote:
You can ,ofcourse, lower the take off angle
by using multiple antenna feeds ie stacking
but that is another matter of discussion.

Art, if you really want perfect control of your
TOA, get a satellite tracking system. :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Richard Clark March 4th 05 06:42 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:33:41 GMT, "
wrote:
I expect many to come up with antennas better than that.

Hi Art,

Thanx, I just needed you to confirm that you, in fact, did not have
such a design.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roy Lewallen March 4th 05 07:39 PM

Judging by newsgroup postings, I'd say the most common meaning of
"takeoff angle" is "that elevation angle at which an antenna radiates".
For this to have any meaning, it's necessary to assume that the antenna
radiates at only one angle and no others. Since this is a false
assumption, the term "takeoff angle" as used by most amateurs is
meaningless. I've never seen the term in any non-amateur publication --
it seems to be in the same category as "capture area" and "S unit",
creations which only amateurs seem to have a need for.

As you say, it has a precise definition as used in EZNEC. The first
versions of ELNEC, incidentally, didn't report "takeoff angle" because I
thought it to be unnecessary to point out what anyone can see from a
glance at the pattern, and felt that the term would be misunderstood and
misused. Turns out I was right -- it's misunderstood and misused,
despite my best effort at explicitly defining it. But you've gotta give
the customer what he wants, not what he needs.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:

TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
not standardized. Literally, TOA can be any angle but
has a special meaning when quoting EZNEC. Neither my
antenna books nor "The IEEE Dictionary" define TOA.
I did a search for "take off angle" and "TOA" on my
ARRL Antenna Book CD with zero results.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

[email protected] March 4th 05 08:42 PM

Do you really think that I wasn't wise to the games you play ?
You was gearing up for an augument so I gave you nothing you
could argue about. Check mate !

Art

[email protected] March 4th 05 08:56 PM

Don't professionals use the term? Seems like it shows up in pro computor
programs.
Doesn't the Antenna handbook refer to TOA ? I do know they made a graph of
incoming
RF ray angles which amounts to the same thing. What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?
If you were designing a 'point to point' antenna would you not look for the
angle of maximum gain?
If so what would you call that angle ? If you are refering to an antenna
lobe pattern could you not invoke
the +/- 3 db points as used in many other places in antenna work?
Methinks that people are looking for problems to argue about
Art

Richard Clark March 4th 05 09:36 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:42:10 GMT, "
wrote:

Do you really think that I wasn't wise to the games you play ?
You was gearing up for an augument so I gave you nothing you
could argue about.

Now THAT sounds like playing games, when I ask for a technical
specification in a technical newsgroup.

Check mate !

as does that.

Hi Art,

It remains extremely difficult to separate these obscure postings
which defy distinction between your work and your fantasies, Art.
This recent introduction of TOA appears to have been fantasy.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Asimov March 5th 05 03:59 AM

"Cecil Moore" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Mar 05 09:58:05)
--- on the heady topic of " How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's
take off angle?"

CM From: Cecil Moore
CM Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:26384

CM wrote:
TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

CM The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
CM not standardized. Literally, TOA can be any angle but
CM has a special meaning when quoting EZNEC. Neither my
CM antenna books nor "The IEEE Dictionary" define TOA.
CM I did a search for "take off angle" and "TOA" on my
CM ARRL Antenna Book CD with zero results.

I hope this, from an old antenna book, is relevant in finding
something called "vertical lobing".

It has:
(for a 1/2 wave vertical dipole, I gather)

N = Height in ft. x Frequency in Mc
------------
984

where the number N is number of wavelengths. It locates the angle
above ground at which the 1st maximum lobe is transmitted.

then using this approximation gets the maximum signal at:
tan (theta) = H/D

and the zero signal:
sin (theta) = 1/2N

where H is the height above "flat" earth of the receiving antenna
and D is the path length (in the same units)

when H/D = 1/(4N) a 1st maximum lobe is attained at the receiving
antenna.

There's more for the actual height at the receiving location and other
lobes, nulls, etc...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... And some fell upon stony ground and had no THC at all.

Roy Lewallen March 5th 05 06:07 AM

wrote:
Don't professionals use the term?

I don't believe so.

Seems like it shows up in pro computor
programs.

Yes, it's a carryover from the amateur programs. Brian Beezley, K6STI
was, I believe, the first to use it in an antenna analysis program. (You
won't find it in NEC-2, NEC-4, or even MININEC.) Those of us who
followed were pretty much forced to include it because of demand from
the amateur customers. I can't speak for other programs, but it's in
EZNEC pro simply to keep the amateur and pro programs similar.

Doesn't the Antenna handbook refer to TOA ? I do know they made a graph of
incoming
RF ray angles which amounts to the same thing.

The ARRL Antenna Book probably uses TOA. It's a publication intended for
amateurs. No, a graph of incoming ray angles is not a graph of TOA as
used by EZNEC and other programs. You've just given a good example of
the misunderstanding and confusion that the term is subject to.

What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?

Nothing at all. It's just that a lot of people think it means something
else. In some of your postings, in fact, I get the sense that you don't
always use it with that meaning. For example, you sometimes seem to give
a lot of weight to the TOA as a figure of merit, and none at all to the
field strength or gain at the angle at which communication is taking
place. So either you're using TOA in a different sense, or you have no
interest in maximizing the ability of an antenna to communicate effectively.

If you were designing a 'point to point' antenna would you not look for the
angle of maximum gain?

No, and there's an example of the perception problem. If you don't
understand why, please go back and re-read posts I've made in response
to your earlier postings on the topic.

If so what would you call that angle ?

In EZNEC, the term takeoff angle means exactly that. My well-confirmed
fear is that people would use it as you seem to be doing.

If you are refering to an antenna
lobe pattern could you not invoke
the +/- 3 db points as used in many other places in antenna work?

Lobe pattern? Invoke? Sorry, I have no idea what you're asking.

Methinks that people are looking for problems to argue about
Art

On that we agree.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] March 5th 05 02:34 PM

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Don't professionals use the term?

I don't believe so.

snip

The ARRL Antenna Book probably uses TOA. It's a publication intended for
amateurs. No, a graph of incoming ray angles is not a graph of TOA as used
by EZNEC and other programs. You've just given a good example of the
misunderstanding and confusion that the term is subject to.

They give an incoming angle not a spread

What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?

Nothing at all. It's just that a lot of people think it means something
else. In some of your postings, in fact, I get the sense that you don't
always use it with that meaning. For example, you sometimes seem to give a
lot of weight to the TOA as a figure of merit, and none at all to the

hing field strength or gain at the angle at which communication is taking
place. So either you're using TOA in a different sense, or you have no
interest in maximizing the ability of an antenna to communicate
effectively.

snip

Roy,
by now you must know that I experiment a lot using computor models
and actual building. I built a 80 meter boom yagi which was neat because
the underside of the first lobe captured a lot of signals as the band is
opening. So was the next step to make even a longer boom yagi to drive
the underside of the lobe lower, no ....because I am now too old and weaker.
So I now pursue the object of a lower take of angle by using more elements
with more coupling and one that can rotate in a circle equivalent to a
two element beam. I believe this can be accomplished with the same gain
and a lower take off angle than a 60 foot boom yagi. Thus TOA becomes
the most important thing for me as well as the "thickness" of the lobe.
That is the sense that your response questioned regarding my maximisation of
antenna
performance for which I use TOA.
Best regards
Art

Reg Edwards March 5th 05 05:24 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote
The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
not standardized.

=======================

Cecil, it's worse than that. TOA is almost meaningless.

Whoever coined the phrase "Take Off Angle" in conjunction with Eznec-type
radiation patterns should be made to provide a 5000-word written explanation
before he went to bed on his wedding night. Another form of safe sex?

In the first place, your suggestion to hire a helicopter to fly around the
sky in the vicinity of an antenna to determine the TOA would provide a
completely different TOA from that provided by Eznec. Especially at low
angles, say less than 30 degrees.

That's because the angle at which radiation is strongest in the vicinity of
a vertical antenna, of height 5/8-wavelength or shorter, is ALWAYS at an
angle of ZERO degrees. ie., it is strongest along the ground surface
regardless of soil conditions. Distance from the antenna is too short for
the ground wave to be appreciably attenuated.

Somehow or other, Eznec manages to calculate relative field strength at some
great distance from the antenna. Which is, of course, an ultimate
worthwhile but unobtainable objective.

Unfortunately, Eznec ignores what that distance may be, whether the receiver
is at ground level or at aircraft height, or in the stratosphere. In the
extreme state of uncertainty it ignores the height of the ionospheric
reflecting layer and the number of hops. In other words, if the location of
the receiving antenna in space or time of day are unknown then the Eznec TOA
is meaningless.

So why is so much importance or significance attached to an Eznec TOA? It
is merely one of the infinite number of angles contained in a very broad
lobe of a radiation pattern.

The path actually taken by a particular radio wave is of far greater
importance. And knowing the location on the Earth's surface of both
transmitting and receiving antennas, the path taken, including elevation
angle, is calculable purely by geometric means. It has nothing to do with
the antenna, not even a G5RV.

If the ballpark Eznec TOA, by chance, happens to crudely coincide with the
actual radio path angle to a distant receiver then that's the best which can
be expected. If not, then there's nothing you can do about it except change
the antenna, all the soil in your back yard, or your geograhical location.

Save yourself the going-rate per hour of the fee for hiring a helicopter.
;o)

By the way, this assessment of the situation in no way demeans the value and
usefulness of Roy's Eznec - an excellent practical, educational and
free-issue program. My only criticism is that it requres a 4-week course of
self-instruction, two hours per day, to understand how to use it. But I
suppose, starting from scratch, this is inevitable. I imagine that simply
to point to Eznec in response to an elementary query on this newsgroup can
often lead to a waste of time down-loading it, disappointment and
frustration.
----
Reg, G4FGQ