RadioBanter

-   -   How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's take off angle? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/65687-how-can-i-measure-observe-my-hf-antennas-take-off-angle.html)

Charlie March 1st 05 02:44 AM

How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's take off angle?

Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Jack Painter March 1st 05 03:23 AM

"Charlie" wrote
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

It will take a lot of thrust, that 5-BTV might require 2 propane tanks ;-)
Be sure to disconnect the radials first!

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Jack

Cecil Moore March 1st 05 03:27 AM

Charlie wrote:
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

March 1st 05 01:03 PM

wind a small RX i.e.: a field strength coil and LED indicator, or buy one of
them cheap 'bug detectors', stick on a gas filled WX balloon, get a hand
held radio or mobile phone, and place a RX next to the radio Mic, put your
radio on VOX and key from out side, by talking into the hand held, drag the
balloon round with long a string observing the bug detector as a led field
strength meter by viewing the LED barographs twinkling light, with a
binocular. Easier at night.

Charlie March 1st 05 02:10 PM

Thanks for all those helpful remarks..I have the LED ready along with the
balloon. I really liked the helicopter idea....you guys are so helpful!!
LOL!!!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

John Franklin March 2nd 05 04:35 AM

Charlie............I read the posts with humor as well. Sounds
like you would like to do some serious field measurements. I will say that
one year for field day two friends and myself put up a 4BTV, with 32 radials
out. We got out so well with it we took the 40M dipole down. We worked quite
a bit of DX as well, this was from a mountain top.
I think too many people sell the verticles short...............and I will
bow out at this point.

73,
WB7FFI

Richard Harrison March 2nd 05 04:56 PM

Charlie wrote:
"Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard
about antenna modeling but is there a way to do a real world take off
angle measurement?"

Make a small physical model. Then use a field strength meter without a
helicopter.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Charlie March 3rd 05 04:49 AM

Hi John and thx for the reply. I too used to sell verticals short and I was
mystified why anyone would admit to having a "ground mounted" vertical of
all kinds. But with a well built vertical and plenty of radials one can bust
pileups in DX...I am so pleased with my 5-BTV.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

ink.net...

Charlie March 3rd 05 04:51 AM

Hi Richard thx for the reply but in thinking it over it would seem an
unlikely possibility that I could accurately model the 5-BTV with it's
traps. Did I miss something there?

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Reg Edwards March 3rd 05 01:39 PM

"Cecil Moore"
Charlie wrote:
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard

about antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off
angle
measurement???

Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.

==============================

What use would he make of take-off angle if he ever gets to know it.

Cecil Moore March 3rd 05 01:47 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:

"Cecil Moore"
Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.

What use would he make of take-off angle if he ever gets to know it.

Maybe it would make him feel good?
Sorta like your Cabernet? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] March 3rd 05 11:17 PM

Charlie wrote:
Hi Richard thx for the reply but in thinking it over it would seem an

unlikely possibility that I could accurately model the 5-BTV with

it's
traps. Did I miss something there?

Hi Charlie, A 5-BTV with 72 radials will have about the same take off
angle as a full size vertical with 72 radials on a given band. This is
assuming the 5-BTV is operated as a 1/4 wave, current fed vertical on
all bands. If it is used as something else, say a 1/2 wave voltage fed
vertical on a given band, then the TOA should be about the same as a
full size 1/2 wave vertical.
As you can tell by other posts, actually measuring the TOA will be
difficult. If you could model full size versions of the 5-BTV on the
bands of interest on a program such as Eznec, you could find out your
TOA. As Reg asked, when you do find it out, what are you gonna do
then?
Gary N4AST

Mike Coslo March 4th 05 01:22 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:

"Cecil Moore"

Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.

What use would he make of take-off angle if he ever gets to know it.

Maybe it would make him feel good?
Sorta like your Cabernet? :-)

I want to measure the Cabernet of my antenna!!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] March 4th 05 05:24 AM

Reg
If he knew the TOA could he not ascertain the height of the reflecting layer
using your "hop distance" program:.
I suspect that your program on the same subject has a similar use so perhaps
you could answer your own question.
With my antenna having a TOA of 10 degrees I could work out backwards a
whole mine of information all based around your program, assuming your input
data is correct. Grin
Cheers
Art

Richard Clark March 4th 05 07:10 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:24:23 GMT, "
wrote:

With my antenna having a TOA of 10 degrees

Hi Art,

All antennas have a TOA of 10 degrees. That is possibly why Reggie
(and others) generally advise that worshiping at the altar of TOA is
illusory. Without some real data, like 0.2 dBi @ 10°, simply saying
you have a TOA of 10 degrees is like trying to sell this wonderful car
because it has brakes that work.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

[email protected] March 4th 05 01:13 PM

TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

Art

Cecil Moore March 4th 05 03:58 PM

wrote:
TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
not standardized. Literally, TOA can be any angle but
has a special meaning when quoting EZNEC. Neither my
antenna books nor "The IEEE Dictionary" define TOA.
I did a search for "take off angle" and "TOA" on my
ARRL Antenna Book CD with zero results.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

[email protected] March 4th 05 05:19 PM

Exactly.
After all there is some gain at 0 degrees, very small of course,
but would anybody consider that as the TOA.?
It appears that many consider TOA of little importance, but just consider
a antenna with a single feed point such as a big yagi for 20m with say
a 60 foot boom. Even with the high gain its TOA is in the region of 13
degrees
where smaller boom antennas will be about 14 degrees.
Now say we have another antenna with a single feed that has a TOA of
10 degrees with the same gain as the big yagi !.
Which antenna will OPEN the band ? They do NOT open at the same time
even tho they have the same gain so where Reg states that no amount of
changing or shaking the antennas is going to make a scrap of difference to
the" hop" distance is patently incorrect.
As an aside losses in a signal is directly related to the number of hops
that it takes
one hop less to communicate means a louder signal.
You can design a single feed antenna with a TOA of +/- 25 percent
from the norm which makes a terrific distance to the "hop " distance,
especially
if the lower contour of the main lobe is below the competition, as the lobe
will
be noticable thinner with a low TOA. You can ,ofcourse, lower the take off
angle
by using multiple antenna feeds ie stacking but that is another matter of
discussion.
Regards
Art

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
not standardized. Literally, TOA can be any angle but
has a special meaning when quoting EZNEC. Neither my
antenna books nor "The IEEE Dictionary" define TOA.
I did a search for "take off angle" and "TOA" on my
ARRL Antenna Book CD with zero results.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Newsgroups
=----

Richard Clark March 4th 05 05:43 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:19:26 GMT, "
wrote:
Now say we have another antenna with a single feed that has a TOA of
10 degrees with the same gain as the big yagi !.

Hi Art,

Simply using EZNEC's freely available yagi design, I can come up with
a 11.4 dBi figure at 10 degrees. Can you say we have another antenna
with a single feed that has a TOA of 10 degrees with more gain that
this?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

[email protected] March 4th 05 06:33 PM

I don't think there would be a problem in beating that!
I would expect many could come up with one better than that at a feed
point height
of 1 wave length. Isn't the max gain theoretical obtainable just short of
16dbi ?
Allow for 0.5 db max losses seems like 15.5 dbi is obtainable.
( using perfect flat terrain ofcourse with a 60 foot boom 'big' yagi)
With all the experts that reside on this group plus a zillion of antenna
reference books
I expect many to come up with antennas better than that.
Isn';t all now known about antennas and placed in print? (Grin)
It just needs is a bit of research or an expert to share his knowledge
with civility.

Cecil Moore March 4th 05 06:41 PM

wrote:
You can ,ofcourse, lower the take off angle
by using multiple antenna feeds ie stacking
but that is another matter of discussion.

Art, if you really want perfect control of your
TOA, get a satellite tracking system. :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Richard Clark March 4th 05 06:42 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:33:41 GMT, "
wrote:
I expect many to come up with antennas better than that.

Hi Art,

Thanx, I just needed you to confirm that you, in fact, did not have
such a design.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roy Lewallen March 4th 05 07:39 PM

Judging by newsgroup postings, I'd say the most common meaning of
"takeoff angle" is "that elevation angle at which an antenna radiates".
For this to have any meaning, it's necessary to assume that the antenna
radiates at only one angle and no others. Since this is a false
assumption, the term "takeoff angle" as used by most amateurs is
meaningless. I've never seen the term in any non-amateur publication --
it seems to be in the same category as "capture area" and "S unit",
creations which only amateurs seem to have a need for.

As you say, it has a precise definition as used in EZNEC. The first
versions of ELNEC, incidentally, didn't report "takeoff angle" because I
thought it to be unnecessary to point out what anyone can see from a
glance at the pattern, and felt that the term would be misunderstood and
misused. Turns out I was right -- it's misunderstood and misused,
despite my best effort at explicitly defining it. But you've gotta give
the customer what he wants, not what he needs.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] March 4th 05 08:42 PM

Do you really think that I wasn't wise to the games you play ?
You was gearing up for an augument so I gave you nothing you
could argue about. Check mate !

[email protected] March 4th 05 08:56 PM

Don't professionals use the term? Seems like it shows up in pro computor
programs.
Doesn't the Antenna handbook refer to TOA ? I do know they made a graph of
incoming
RF ray angles which amounts to the same thing. What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?
If you were designing a 'point to point' antenna would you not look for the
angle of maximum gain?
If so what would you call that angle ? If you are refering to an antenna
lobe pattern could you not invoke
the +/- 3 db points as used in many other places in antenna work?
Methinks that people are looking for problems to argue about
Art

Richard Clark March 4th 05 09:36 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:42:10 GMT, "
wrote:

Do you really think that I wasn't wise to the games you play ?
You was gearing up for an augument so I gave you nothing you
could argue about.

Now THAT sounds like playing games, when I ask for a technical
specification in a technical newsgroup.

Check mate !

as does that.

Hi Art,

It remains extremely difficult to separate these obscure postings
which defy distinction between your work and your fantasies, Art.
This recent introduction of TOA appears to have been fantasy.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Asimov March 5th 05 03:59 AM

"Cecil Moore" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Mar 05 09:58:05)
--- on the heady topic of " How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's
take off angle?"

CM From: Cecil Moore
CM Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:26384

CM wrote:
TOA is deemed to be the angle at which maximum gain occurs.
Seems like you are fishing for something, but you will not get
it from me.

CM The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
CM not standardized. Literally, TOA can be any angle but
CM has a special meaning when quoting EZNEC. Neither my
CM antenna books nor "The IEEE Dictionary" define TOA.
CM I did a search for "take off angle" and "TOA" on my
CM ARRL Antenna Book CD with zero results.

I hope this, from an old antenna book, is relevant in finding
something called "vertical lobing".

It has:
(for a 1/2 wave vertical dipole, I gather)

N = Height in ft. x Frequency in Mc
------------
984

where the number N is number of wavelengths. It locates the angle
above ground at which the 1st maximum lobe is transmitted.

then using this approximation gets the maximum signal at:
tan (theta) = H/D

and the zero signal:
sin (theta) = 1/2N

where H is the height above "flat" earth of the receiving antenna
and D is the path length (in the same units)

when H/D = 1/(4N) a 1st maximum lobe is attained at the receiving
antenna.

There's more for the actual height at the receiving location and other
lobes, nulls, etc...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... And some fell upon stony ground and had no THC at all.

Roy Lewallen March 5th 05 06:07 AM

wrote:
Don't professionals use the term?

I don't believe so.

Seems like it shows up in pro computor
programs.

Yes, it's a carryover from the amateur programs. Brian Beezley, K6STI
was, I believe, the first to use it in an antenna analysis program. (You
won't find it in NEC-2, NEC-4, or even MININEC.) Those of us who
followed were pretty much forced to include it because of demand from
the amateur customers. I can't speak for other programs, but it's in
EZNEC pro simply to keep the amateur and pro programs similar.

Doesn't the Antenna handbook refer to TOA ? I do know they made a graph of
incoming
RF ray angles which amounts to the same thing.

The ARRL Antenna Book probably uses TOA. It's a publication intended for
amateurs. No, a graph of incoming ray angles is not a graph of TOA as
used by EZNEC and other programs. You've just given a good example of
the misunderstanding and confusion that the term is subject to.

What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?

Nothing at all. It's just that a lot of people think it means something
else. In some of your postings, in fact, I get the sense that you don't
always use it with that meaning. For example, you sometimes seem to give
a lot of weight to the TOA as a figure of merit, and none at all to the
field strength or gain at the angle at which communication is taking
place. So either you're using TOA in a different sense, or you have no
interest in maximizing the ability of an antenna to communicate effectively.

If you were designing a 'point to point' antenna would you not look for the
angle of maximum gain?

No, and there's an example of the perception problem. If you don't
understand why, please go back and re-read posts I've made in response
to your earlier postings on the topic.

If so what would you call that angle ?

In EZNEC, the term takeoff angle means exactly that. My well-confirmed
fear is that people would use it as you seem to be doing.

If you are refering to an antenna
lobe pattern could you not invoke
the +/- 3 db points as used in many other places in antenna work?

Lobe pattern? Invoke? Sorry, I have no idea what you're asking.

Methinks that people are looking for problems to argue about
Art

On that we agree.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] March 5th 05 02:34 PM

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Don't professionals use the term?

I don't believe so.

snip

The ARRL Antenna Book probably uses TOA. It's a publication intended for
amateurs. No, a graph of incoming ray angles is not a graph of TOA as used
by EZNEC and other programs. You've just given a good example of the
misunderstanding and confusion that the term is subject to.

They give an incoming angle not a spread

What is wrong with the common
perception
that it is the angle of maximum gain?

Nothing at all. It's just that a lot of people think it means something
else. In some of your postings, in fact, I get the sense that you don't
always use it with that meaning. For example, you sometimes seem to give a
lot of weight to the TOA as a figure of merit, and none at all to the

hing field strength or gain at the angle at which communication is taking
place. So either you're using TOA in a different sense, or you have no
interest in maximizing the ability of an antenna to communicate
effectively.

snip

Roy,
by now you must know that I experiment a lot using computor models
and actual building. I built a 80 meter boom yagi which was neat because
the underside of the first lobe captured a lot of signals as the band is
opening. So was the next step to make even a longer boom yagi to drive
the underside of the lobe lower, no ....because I am now too old and weaker.
So I now pursue the object of a lower take of angle by using more elements
with more coupling and one that can rotate in a circle equivalent to a
two element beam. I believe this can be accomplished with the same gain
and a lower take off angle than a 60 foot boom yagi. Thus TOA becomes
the most important thing for me as well as the "thickness" of the lobe.
That is the sense that your response questioned regarding my maximisation of
antenna
performance for which I use TOA.
Best regards
Art

Reg Edwards March 5th 05 05:24 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote
The problem seems to be that the definition of TOA is
not standardized.

=======================

Cecil, it's worse than that. TOA is almost meaningless.

Whoever coined the phrase "Take Off Angle" in conjunction with Eznec-type
radiation patterns should be made to provide a 5000-word written explanation
before he went to bed on his wedding night. Another form of safe sex?

In the first place, your suggestion to hire a helicopter to fly around the
sky in the vicinity of an antenna to determine the TOA would provide a
completely different TOA from that provided by Eznec. Especially at low
angles, say less than 30 degrees.

That's because the angle at which radiation is strongest in the vicinity of
a vertical antenna, of height 5/8-wavelength or shorter, is ALWAYS at an
angle of ZERO degrees. ie., it is strongest along the ground surface
regardless of soil conditions. Distance from the antenna is too short for
the ground wave to be appreciably attenuated.

Somehow or other, Eznec manages to calculate relative field strength at some
great distance from the antenna. Which is, of course, an ultimate
worthwhile but unobtainable objective.

Unfortunately, Eznec ignores what that distance may be, whether the receiver
is at ground level or at aircraft height, or in the stratosphere. In the
extreme state of uncertainty it ignores the height of the ionospheric
reflecting layer and the number of hops. In other words, if the location of
the receiving antenna in space or time of day are unknown then the Eznec TOA
is meaningless.

So why is so much importance or significance attached to an Eznec TOA? It
is merely one of the infinite number of angles contained in a very broad
lobe of a radiation pattern.

The path actually taken by a particular radio wave is of far greater
importance. And knowing the location on the Earth's surface of both
transmitting and receiving antennas, the path taken, including elevation
angle, is calculable purely by geometric means. It has nothing to do with
the antenna, not even a G5RV.

If the ballpark Eznec TOA, by chance, happens to crudely coincide with the
actual radio path angle to a distant receiver then that's the best which can
be expected. If not, then there's nothing you can do about it except change
the antenna, all the soil in your back yard, or your geograhical location.

Save yourself the going-rate per hour of the fee for hiring a helicopter.
;o)

By the way, this assessment of the situation in no way demeans the value and
usefulness of Roy's Eznec - an excellent practical, educational and
free-issue program. My only criticism is that it requres a 4-week course of
self-instruction, two hours per day, to understand how to use it. But I
suppose, starting from scratch, this is inevitable. I imagine that simply
to point to Eznec in response to an elementary query on this newsgroup can
often lead to a waste of time down-loading it, disappointment and
frustration.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Richard Clark March 5th 05 06:07 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:34:11 GMT, "
wrote:

Thus TOA becomes
the most important thing for me as well as the "thickness" of the lobe.
That is the sense that your response questioned regarding my maximisation
of
antenna
performance for which I use TOA.

Hi Art,

Back when fractal antennas ruled the sky - at least on paper - the
bragging rights were carefully tailored to fit the design.

Some of this was arguably targeted to a user population that would
have enjoyed the advantage. Anyway, such an example is shown at:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7qhc/antenna/fr...r/k2/index.htm

The fractal flyer, and its superior, simpler cousin the H Flyer showed
a real, improved, DX response at 10 degrees. This was not their best
response angle which you call TOA. In fact, both designers studiously
ignored what you call TOA because it was not particularly notable.

So, as a bald statement, both designs constitute very small antennas
that exhibit BETTER gain figures at a TOA of 10 degrees than a full
sized dipole held at a comparable height. Also, these antennas show a
F/B that is very much better than a full sized antenna. Further, both
designs, but notably the H Flyer, show full band matching. However,
having said that, sans actual response levels or context, is having
said nothing.

However, let's look at the full characteristics, not simply the
claims:

Best Response:
Std Dipole 0 dBi @ 90°
fractal flyer -0.81 dBi @ 39°
H Flyer -0.6 dBi @ 45°

10 Deg. Response:
Std Dipole -7.51 dBi
fractal flyer -4.85 dBi
H Flyer -4.75 dBi

2:1 Match Range:
Std Dipole 0.85 MHz
fractal flyer 0.5 MHz
H Flyer 1.0 MHz

As can be seen, the H Flyer was the best design across the board, IF
you accepted the limitations originally imposed (very low, very small,
and scrutinized at 10 degree take off). Does this qualify it as a
good antenna? Depends on if you are space and height limited.

One last point, as poor as a valuation of -5dBi is, there are very few
designs (barring the two shown here) that can perform better and still
fit in the box.

So, let's return to claims, especially for the H Flyer:
Smallest resonant antenna;
Highest DX Gain;
Widest Bandwidth:
Best F/B;
Not a Fractal.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

J. Mc Laughlin March 6th 05 04:09 AM

An equation that I find useful when starting to think about a tradeoff
between antenna height of a horizontally polarized antenna and performance
is:

Beta-N = ArcSin(N * 74.948/H * F)

N is an integer. H is the height of a horizontal antenna above a flat,
perfectly reflecting surface in meters. F is the frequency of operation in
MHz. Beta-N is in degrees.

For N = 0, 2, 4, 6 ..., Beta-N is the angle above the horizon of a
(theoretical) null.

For N = 1, 3, 5 ..., Beta-N is the angle above the horizon of a maximum.

I store this equation in my calculator and can solve for any of the
variables. Thus: at 18 MHz, it takes a height of 32.2 meters to have the
first null (above the horizon itself) at 15 degrees (N=2) - and, at the
same height, the first peak (N=1) will be at 7.4 degrees.

Of course, the earth is not flat and is not perfectly reflecting (even for
horizontally polarized waves) and so on ... However, this equation helps
with a first cut.

[For those who use feet, the coefficient is 245.89 rather than 74.948.]

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

[email protected] March 6th 05 04:25 AM

I really do not understand what you are getting at.
Your antennas are very small but are outside my interests.

I am looking for as long a hop that I can get on 20 meters
and ofcourse it must accept power.Beyond a 80 foot boom I am
constricted , thus I work backwards and start off with a smaller
antenna to which I apply changes in design to obtain the equivalent
of a 60 foot antenna based on the contour of the main lobe bottom.
( this includes changing the structure so that the gain and
front to back maximises at the same frequency
which is where the f/b is really meaningfull )

This is a long, long way from what you are describing and I might add that
my antenna design must be multi banded when I have attained the 60 foot boom
equivalency. Armed with this achievement I can now proceed to attacking
the
problem of exceeding the 60 foot boom yagi performance by using the now
freed
up land space

Can you re phrase your posting, possibly from a different direction, exacty
what
you are trying to add to this thread especially where it affects what I have
posted.
Regards
Art

Richard Clark March 6th 05 07:06 AM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:25:06 GMT, "
wrote:

Can you re phrase your posting, possibly from a different direction, exacty
what
you are trying to add to this thread especially where it affects what I have
posted.

=
both designs exhibit BETTER gain figures at a TOA of 10 degrees than a full
sized dipole held at a comparable height. However,
having said that, sans actual response levels or context, is having
said nothing.

If you neglect giving us response levels, or context (like height,
length, frequency, ground conditions) then telling us you have a great
10 degree TOA is meaningless.

More to the matter of the thread, it you cannot tell us antenna
location and that location of the intended DX, and the height of the
skip layer, then a great 10 degree TOA could easily be useless.

If this is simply about bragging rights that knowing the DX location
is inconsequential because you will hit somebody, that could as easily
be said about a great 20 degree TOA antenna which makes the great 10
degree TOA antenna another face in the crowd.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Reg Edwards March 6th 05 07:36 AM

Beta-N = ArcSin(N * 74.948/H * F)

The equation is not doubted.
Could somebody please check that Eznec nulls at N=2 and N=4 agree with it
above a perfect ground.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Reg Edwards March 6th 05 07:52 AM

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote

Beta-N = ArcSin(N * 74.948/H * F)

=========================

Mac, you are of the same heart as myself.

If you have an equation simple enough to write here which computes the
relative magnitudes of the maximums, could you please oblige?

I could write a program which incorporates it.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Reg Edwards March 6th 05 12:17 PM

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote

Beta-N = ArcSin(N * 74.948/H * F)

=========================

There are two typing errors in the above equation.

Beta-N does not mean Beta minus N.
It just means the N'th value of Beta.

And the intended equation should be -

Beta = ArcSin(74.948*N/H/F) degrees.

Alternatively,

Sin(Beta) = 74.948*N/H/F degrees.

That is, divide by F, NOT multiply by F.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

[email protected] March 6th 05 02:11 PM

Now I understand where you are coming from !.
I've given a lot of info out about the antenna
and its attributes, many of which are unique.
Also why I am following this path
I do not consider these posts mention of the attributes such as
feed point height or details regarding F/B as meaningless
and certainly not points about which to argue.
I did ask on another posting if there was anything written on a particular
subject regarding a particular feature but there was no response so there is
not a lot of interest in some aspects
If I have declared something that is impossible I would be happy to debate
it
but at this point I am not ready to publish all details which I am sure that
you
understand

J. Mc Laughlin March 6th 05 02:29 PM

Providing actual values should have resolved any latent ambiguity.
Nevertheless, I should have assumed the use of a TI calculator.

Beta-sub-N = ArcSin( (N * 74.948)/(H * F))

The argument of the ArcSin is the product of N times the indicated
coefficient all divided by the product of the height times the frequency.

Height is in meters. Frequency is in MHz. N is an integer. Even values of
N apply to nulls. Odd values of N apply to peaks. Beta-sub-N is an angle
in degrees measured from the horizon towards the zenith.

The equation assumes an isotropic*, purely horizontally polarized antenna;
and a ground that is flat and has a reflection coefficient of minus-one for
an incident horizontally polarized wave independent of the
angle-of-incidence.

* Note: In this context, isotropic is to be understood to mean broadside
gain is constant and is independent of angle.

Fortunately, broadside to most horizontally antennas and for most
grounds, the conditions are close to being satisfied for Beta up to perhaps
30 degrees. The angles that are important for "DX," I have found to be
between two and twelve degrees. In other words, if long distance contacts
are desired, it is desirable to have most of an antenna's gain be between 2
and 12 degrees above the horizon.

Consider the person who places a 14.2 MHz Yagi at 60 meters (the magic
height above which one has to deal with the FAA). As a first approximation,
such an antenna is expected to have a peak at about 5 degrees and a null at
about 10 degrees. When the band opens, such a system is likely to dominate.
When propagation is better, those with lower antennas might have more gain
at the useful angle.

73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

[email protected] March 6th 05 04:33 PM

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
snip

.. The angles that are important for "DX," I have found to be
between two and twelve degrees. In other words, if long distance contacts
are desired, it is desirable to have most of an antenna's gain be between
2
and 12 degrees above the horizon.

At last reason prevails.......
For DX purposes only the bottom half of the
main lobe is usefull. If your TOA is 13 to 14 degrees which is average
then more than 50 percent of the main lobe is serving no purpose.

If one wants to capture the highest possible number
of DX contacts then the TOA should be the angle where the
upper side of the main lobe is 3db down from the TOA.
Lower than this point renders the antenna useless as propagation sets in.
Mac shows this with a antenna having a TOA at 5 degrees that
has a theoretical NULL at 10 degrees which means 50 percent of
incoming signals are not available to the antenna user

Consider the person who places a 14.2 MHz Yagi at 60 meters (the magic
height above which one has to deal with the FAA). As a first
approximation,
such an antenna is expected to have a peak at about 5 degrees and a null
at
about 10 degrees. When the band opens, such a system is likely to
dominate.
When propagation is better, those with lower antennas might have more gain
at the useful angle.

73 Mac N8TT
-- Reg, G4FGQ

Regards