Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 1st 05, 11:39 PM

Default Lightning and Grounding

I am trying to gain a better understanding of the issues associated
with lightning and grounding, particularly for an amateur radio
station. I would greatly appreciate any answers to my questions, given
below.

1.) It seems like lightning "finds" a path before actually discharging
through it. Is this correct? How fast is the process of finding the
path?

2.) Does lightning discharge over one path or many paths? In other
words, if lightning strikes a point, and there are two paths from that
point to ground, is the energy shared - like a current divider? One
would think that this is what happens, with the sharing based upon
relative impedances to ground.

3.) This talk about "single point ground" can be confusing, especially
when the solution involves multiple ground rods. I believe we are
really saying that the station (equipment) should be connected to
ground at only one point - but you can have any number of ground
connections (i.e., like ground rods) otherwise.

4.) Does the size of an antenna affect the probability of its being
struck by lightning, all else being equal? What is the governing
relationship?

5.) Finally, consider an amateur antenna on a pole, located some
distance from the service entrance of the house. Let's say there is a
copper cold water pipe right at the service entrance. Is it wise to
place a lightning rod (or rods) right under the antenna, place an
arrestor on the coax there and then another arrestor where the coax
enters at the service entrance? Is a ground wire needed between the
remote ground rod and the cold water pipe?

Thanks in advance,

-JJ