Old March 4th 05, 02:17 AM
gil

Default Endfed zepp questions

Not having a lot of space for wire antennas (50 feet at best) would it
be better for me to use an endfed zepp (50 feet) or a double zepp (25
feet each leg) ?

On the endfed zepp there is one side of the latter line that its not
connected to the aerial, on the other end (in the shack) where does
that end connect to...ground or should it be connected just like any
other latter line on the tuner ?

Just trying to get the best results out of a small space.

Thanks

Gil

Old March 4th 05, 04:47 AM
Hal Rosser

"gil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not having a lot of space for wire antennas (50 feet at best) would it
be better for me to use an endfed zepp (50 feet) or a double zepp (25
feet each leg) ?

On the endfed zepp there is one side of the latter line that its not
connected to the aerial, on the other end (in the shack) where does
that end connect to...ground or should it be connected just like any
other latter line on the tuner ?

Just trying to get the best results out of a small space.

perhaps a loop.
more wire in the air to catch those signals

Old March 4th 05, 05:09 AM
Cecil Moore

gil wrote:
Not having a lot of space for wire antennas (50 feet at best) would it
be better for me to use an endfed zepp (50 feet) or a double zepp (25
feet each leg) ?

A 50 ft end-fed Zepp would be 1/2WL on 9.36 MHz. The quarter-
wave matching section would make it a three band antenna for
30m, 17m, and 10m.

A 50 ft center-fed dipole will work all frequencies from 14
MHz up with a suitable tuner.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 4th 05, 05:54 AM
W9DMK

On 3 Mar 2005 18:17:52 -0800, "gil" wrote:

Not having a lot of space for wire antennas (50 feet at best) would it
be better for me to use an endfed zepp (50 feet) or a double zepp (25
feet each leg) ?

On the endfed zepp there is one side of the latter line that its not
connected to the aerial, on the other end (in the shack) where does
that end connect to...ground or should it be connected just like any
other latter line on the tuner ?

Just trying to get the best results out of a small space.

Dear Gil,
At the tuner, the two sides of the ladder line connect to the balanced
line terminals. Don't worry about the fact that up at the antenna, one
side of the ladder line connects to the antenna and the other side is
open. That was one of the best antennas that I ever had as a kid.
Ideally, the length of the antenna should be 1/2 wavelength for this
configuration.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html

Old March 5th 05, 10:59 AM
KC1DI

gil wrote:
Not having a lot of space for wire antennas (50 feet at best) would it
be better for me to use an endfed zepp (50 feet) or a double zepp (25
feet each leg) ?

On the endfed zepp there is one side of the latter line that its not
connected to the aerial, on the other end (in the shack) where does
that end connect to...ground or should it be connected just like any
other latter line on the tuner ?

Just trying to get the best results out of a small space.

Thanks

Gil

HI Gil ,
From a purely signal perspective. it would make no difference if it
were fed at the end or in the middle. However from a matching
perspective the center fed arrangement will give you the easiest
matching situation for the tuner to handle and less chance of unwanted
R.F. in the Shack. I'd go for the center fed if possible. if not the
endfed will work but may present you with matching problems on some
bands. also you could allow extra wire to drop down vertically from the
end in the center fed arrangement giving you a better match 80 or 40
Meters if desired. Make the total lenght about 88 feet and you'll have
a good all band antenna. that would be 25 feet horizontal on each leg
and 19ft dropped veritcally.
Remember though any wire is better than no wire.
73 Dave

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM