RadioBanter

-   -   Current in antenna loading coils controversy (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/670-current-antenna-loading-coils-controversy.html)

Yuri Blanarovich November 5th 03 03:15 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss their performance, and
consider the findings Yuri has presented as being both reasonable and
viable.

73, Jim AC6XG

I am just amazed that with all the "theoretical" arguing going on, why none of
the "learned" experts measure, answer or explain the following REAL effects or
show where I (we) are wrong:

We are assuming quarter wave electrical (90 deg) antenna with loading coil
inserted from 50 - 70% of the radiator length.

1. As I mentioned and got only fuzzy arguments (poor coils, metal caps, poor
connection, which do not jive with observations), having let's say 80m mobile
Hustler antenna (many of them around) with coil. Put 100W to it (no
obstructions, meters, things to detune it) for about 30 secs. Go feel the coil,
or if you have thermal strips, watch the color from bottom to top. You will
notice warmer bottom. Put 500W to it, you will "reshrink" the tubing,
heatshrink tubing will start curling from the bottom, insulation on wire will
start blistering. I have done it, I saw it, I melted the bottom of the coil.
K0PP is sending picture of similarly fried Minooka Special. Why coils melt at
the bottom and not all along if the current is uniform across the coil?
Explanation: Uniform coil, with uniform wire, on uniform form, same caps on top
and bottom, the resistance is the same along the coil. If R is the same, and
there is more heat developed in part of the coil, then according to I2R
formula, current MUST be HIGHER in the part of the coil that heats more - at
the bottom. If the current is higher at the bottom part of the coil, it cannot
be the SAME at both ends.
Do not believe me? Everybody can do the test with mobile coil and verify it.
You don't need meters and nothing disturbs the setup. This demonstartes that
current is not uniform accross the coil, it larger at the bottom than on top.
Where are we wrong here?

2. As I quoted on my page http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm results of W9UCW
test and measurements, Barry measured in the controlled environment, (60
radials, good coil, RF ammeters) that current in loading coil varies between
top and bottom in the range of 40 - 60%,. which confirms the effect described
above and puts some figures on it. It was done on different bands, with
different positions of the coil and generally follows the pattern. RF ammeters
are designed for this particular type of measurements. We get the same
conclusion and confirm the effect - the current in the loading coil varies
across the coil, it is not the same.
What is wrong with those measurements and results? Again anyone can verify
them. Did anyone measured anything different?

3. Lets look at the RF choke. Coil the piece of coax into a coil with enough
inductance to suppress RF current. Is the current same at both ends?

4. W9UCW used toroid loading coil and got the same results. How could that be?
It was MEASURED not "figured" out.

5. Cecil explained the reflected wave situation and delay in the coil, which
supports and explains the mechanism of the phenomena.

6. ON4UN in his Low Band DXing book for years has shown and explained the
distribution of current in various configurations of loading coils, hats, stubs
and clearly shows that current across the coil decreases in proportion to the
electrical degrees of the radiator that it replaces. Where is he wrong? Another
engineer that "knows nothing"?

7. How could it be if the voltage (neon bulb test) is increasing along the coil
towards the top, current has to be decreasing.

Can we see some other (better) measurements, anyone?
Or is all the above fantasy, because EZNEC says so?
Can we have some REASONS instead of ridicule? Point by point please.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 05:19 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone would think that you can treat an antenna, or a
get anything resembling accurate results.

Roy, have you read the arguments that started this discussion?

They are at: http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

Please tell us if you agree with John Devoldere's "Bible" -
"ON4UN's Low Band DXing", 3rd Edition, on page 9-34:
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 05:31 AM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
This brings us back to the question of practical loading coils, and how
much radiation (and therefore current variation along the length) we can
expect.

For the feedpoint impedance to be purely resistive in an electrical 1/4WL
shortened vertical, the current must undergo a round trip phase shift of
360 degrees and the voltage must undergo a round trip phase shift of 180
degrees. The loading coil must provide the phase shift that the antenna
doesn't provide. For a typical 75m 8 ft mobile antenna, the coil must
provide approximately 80 degrees of phase shift.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 05:37 AM

Art Unwin KB9MZ wrote:

If reactance can be seen as a "{missing" part
of a radiator how should we view what a
capacitor represents? Grin

A series cap has the opposite effect of a series coil. I have seen
such antennas made out of end to end caps but I've never really
understood their claim to fame.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Mark Keith November 5th 03 07:22 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote in message ...
No, I will make one more comment. After a bit of reflection, I think
this might be at the core of some people's problem in envisioning a
lumped inductor.

When a current flows into an inductor, it doesn't go round and round and
round the turns, taking its time to get to the other end. An inductor
wound with 100 feet of wire behaves nothing like a 100 foot wire. Why?
It's because when the current begins flowing, it creates a magnetic
field. This field couples to, or links with, the other turns.

This is the way I view it, and why I couldn't automatically endorse
the fairly large difference they saw. Unless the coil is very long,
say as in a helical whip, I see it acting pretty much as a lumped
inductor. Sure, the current may vary some through the coil when it's a
foot or so long bugcatcher coil, but I don't see it being a major
issue. I wouldn't normally expect to see a sharp current taper across
the coil. I see that type of coil acting much as a "one piece" lumped
inductor, not as a many turned rf roller coaster ride. Not a perfect
lumped inductor, but close enuff for average gov work. MK

Mark Keith November 5th 03 07:28 AM

Cecil Moore wrote in message

A bugcatcher coil on a 75m mobile antenna also does not meet the
definition of a lumped circuit.

Dunno. I think it does. Not perfect by any means, but I still think it
"acts" pretty much like a lumped inductor. MK

Ian White, G3SEK November 5th 03 09:45 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
This brings us back to the question of practical loading coils, and
how much radiation (and therefore current variation along the length)
we can expect.

For the feedpoint impedance to be purely resistive in an electrical 1/4WL
shortened vertical, the current must undergo a round trip phase shift of
360 degrees and the voltage must undergo a round trip phase shift of 180
degrees. The loading coil must provide the phase shift that the antenna
doesn't provide. For a typical 75m 8 ft mobile antenna, the coil must
provide approximately 80 degrees of phase shift.

I'm sure you'll find the answer in Balanis, if you read it with an open
mind instead of trying to force him to agree with you.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 01:32 PM

Mark Keith wrote:
This is the way I view it, and why I couldn't automatically endorse
the fairly large difference they saw. Unless the coil is very long,
say as in a helical whip, I see it acting pretty much as a lumped
inductor. Sure, the current may vary some through the coil when it's a
foot or so long bugcatcher coil, but I don't see it being a major
issue. I wouldn't normally expect to see a sharp current taper across
the coil. I see that type of coil acting much as a "one piece" lumped
inductor, not as a many turned rf roller coaster ride. Not a perfect
lumped inductor, but close enuff for average gov work. MK

The round trip current phase shift in an electrical 1/4WL vertical must
total 360 degrees. If the coil doesn't perform part of that phase shift,
what does?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 01:36 PM

Mark Keith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote in message
A bugcatcher coil on a 75m mobile antenna also does not meet the
definition of a lumped circuit.

Dunno. I think it does. Not perfect by any means, but I still think it
"acts" pretty much like a lumped inductor. MK

Where does the rest of the necessary phase shift in the round trip
current come from if not from the coil?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 01:55 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
For the feedpoint impedance to be purely resistive in an electrical 1/4WL
shortened vertical, the current must undergo a round trip phase shift of
360 degrees and the voltage must undergo a round trip phase shift of 180
degrees. The loading coil must provide the phase shift that the antenna
doesn't provide. For a typical 75m 8 ft mobile antenna, the coil must
provide approximately 80 degrees of phase shift.

I'm sure you'll find the answer in Balanis, if you read it with an open
mind instead of trying to force him to agree with you.

Ian, I learned the above in the class I took from Balanis at ASU in 1995
while I worked for Intel in Chandler, AZ. I asked him a lot of
questions about center-loaded antennas as they are not covered well
in his book. The fact that none of the resident gurus on this newsgroup
will touch the above simple question with a ten foot pole speaks volumes.
A very bright engineer has been in email contact with me over this deductive
reasoning problem. So far, he has not attempted to resolve the conflict
between a lumped inductor and the absolutely necessary phase shift.

Here is the answer to the question presented by Devoldere in "ON4UN's
Low Band DXing". For convenience sake, I will draw the vertical mobile
antenna as one half of a dipole but the same logic applies. Note the
coil is drawn in electrical degrees, not in proportional physical length.

wire coil wire
-----------////////////////////////----------
22.5 deg 45 deg 22.5 deg

We know from the end result that this is what has to happen. An electrical
1/4WL antenna simply must cause a 90 degree phase shift in the current
from end to end. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an electrical 1/4WL antenna.

Until someone can explain exactly how a lumped inductor causes a 45 degree
phase shift in the current, I am going to assume that a lumped inductor
is incapable of that feat.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 02:02 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
I don't know what the full detailed explanation is. But I do know that,
in order to be correct for all possible cases, it *must* include the
feature that as the physical dimensions of the coil tend towards zero,
the difference in current between its two ends falls towards zero also.
Any "explanation" that denies this fundamental physical fact is
guar-an-teed to be wrong.

So let's agree on that, and then we can move forward to find an
explanation.

OK, let's agree on that and take another look at the example I just presented
on another thread involving half a dipole.

wire coil wire
---------------////---------------
22.5 deg ? deg 22.5 deg

Assuming a lumped inductance, presumably the current into the coil will have
the same phase as the current out of the coil. Zero phase shift through the
coil means this antenna has the same current phasing as a 40m dipole used on
75m, i.e. the feedpoint current is at a current minimum point. We know that
is NOT the case in reality. So what's the answer?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yuri Blanarovich November 5th 03 02:39 PM

G3SEK wrote:

But first we all need to agree that for an ideal lumped loading coil,
the current at the top and bottom terminals will be the same. If the
current is not the same at both ends, then the coil cannot be behaving
as an ideal lumped inductor.

We are back to this line of "reasoning":
......and if we rip all four legs off the frog and say "Frog jump", frog doesn't
jump. The "conclusion" is - Froggie is deaf :-)

Is it a big science secret that coils can cause delay, phase shift?
Can anyone also measure the fricken thing and THEN argue????

We have the effect, W9UCW measured it, ON4UN and W5DXP provided explanations,
what's missing? Being wrong, recognizing it and admitting? (Sorry)
Just because software (for now?) cannot digest it, it can't be?
This is becoming amusing to see how serious this misconception was out there
and who is on the bandwagon.
Let's see "better" explanation. The difference is THERE doesn't matter how
anyone denies it!!!
Knowing about it will help to design and optimize the crippled antennas,
including fricken fracktals (with coils).

I am gathering material for test setup allowing to measure RF current in every
foot of the loaded antenna, I have two 8 amp meters, so I will have to use some
power for full deflection, but it will be just another level of the same thing.
You are all invited to witness! I will document it, take pictures and video.

If there are no answers, pointing wrong to the points I have raised in my other
posting, then I am done, can't do anything more, just will do the measurements
and present the results.

Yuri, K3BU.us

Ian White, G3SEK November 5th 03 03:13 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
OK, let's agree on that and take another look at the example I just presented
on another thread involving half a dipole.

wire coil wire
---------------////---------------
22.5 deg ? deg 22.5 deg

Assuming a lumped inductance, presumably the current into the coil will have
the same phase as the current out of the coil. Zero phase shift through the
coil means

this antenna has the same current phasing as a 40m dipole used on
75m, i.e. the feedpoint current is at a current minimum point.

Sorry, I don't understand that last statement...

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 04:13 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
OK, let's agree on that and take another look at the example I just
presented
on another thread involving half a dipole.

wire coil wire
---------------////---------------
22.5 deg ? deg 22.5 deg

Assuming a lumped inductance, presumably the current into the coil
will have the same phase as the current out of the coil. Zero phase
shift through the coil means this antenna has the same current phasing
as a 40m dipole used on 75m, i.e. the feedpoint current is at a current
minimum point.

Sorry, I don't understand that last statement...

A 40m 1/4WL vertical used on 40m is 90 degrees long.

A 40m 1/4WL vertical used on 80m is 45 degrees long and we know its characteristics.
If the coil above has zero phase shift, the antenna above is also 45 degrees
long and will exhibit the feedpoint characteristics of a 40m 1/4WL vertical
used on 80m but we know it doesn't exhibit those characteristics. ERGO,
the phase shift through the coil is not zero.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Art Unwin KB9MZ November 5th 03 04:29 PM

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote in message ...
Yuri wrote:

I am just amazed that with all the "theoretical" arguing going on, why
none of the "learned" experts measure, answer or explain the following
REAL effects or show where I (we) are wrong:

[...]

Yuri is making some fair points - those practical observations do need
to be explained.

But first we all need to agree that for an ideal lumped loading coil,
the current at the top and bottom terminals will be the same. If the
current is not the same at both ends, then the coil cannot be behaving
as an ideal lumped inductor.

I believe that Tom took this stance early on when he explained
variances of slight current change by virtue of the capacitive
component of the real world
inductor when wound on a scale that is used on a vertical radiator.
I suspect that if he brought Q into the equation /discussion people
would not of gotten off track so quickly in the first place! People
have become so enamourd with modeling technics they are willing to let
their guard down
and accept what their results show and throw caution to the wind.
I think I will follow Roy and get out of this one
Art

Now the vainess of man does not allow one to admit error,
so the hole digging continues with faces pointed down
despite pleas from the faces above
Art

That tells us that the explanation has to involve the non-zero physical
dimensions of the coil. In other words, the coil is no longer just a
pure inductor - it also has some antenna-like distributed properties,
which do allow (and indeed require) a current variation along the
length.

Ian White, G3SEK November 5th 03 07:30 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
[...]

OK, I see what you're getting at, but by changing the frequency you are
losing sight of some important points. Let's stay on the *same*
frequency, halve the physical height of the antenna and insert a lumped

Instead of being 90deg tall, our vertical monopole is now only 45deg
tall (physically). Drawn on its side, and fed against ground at one end,
it now looks like:

wire coil wire
---------------////---------------
22.5 deg ? deg 22.5 deg

(just as you drew it)

Where you're going astray (I suspect) is in believing that the coil
literally "replaces" the 45deg of antenna that was lost when we halved
the height. It doesn't - the loading coil drastically changes the
current distribution.

Fed with 1.0A at the base, the original quarter-wave has a roughly
cosine-shaped current distribution, so the current at a point 22.5deg
from the top is 1A * cos(90-22.5) = 0.38A.

Now feed the loaded antenna with 1.0A at the base. The current
distribution is now radically different: in the bottom 22.5deg of the
antenna, the current hardly changes - let's say it's 0.9A at the bottom
of the loading coil.

Since we have assumed a lumped loading coil, the current at the top of
the coil is the same 0.9A. But now the current distribution in the top
22.5deg is very different from the full-size case: it tapers much more
sharply, from 0.9A down to zero at the very top.

This is all standard stuff. My reason for walking through it is to
emphasize that shortening the antenna and loading it changes many things
about the current distribution, both above and below the loading coil.
And here are two other important differences: the feed impedance of the
loaded antenna is much lower than that of the full-size; and the much
sharper reduction in current is associated with a much higher E-field
over the same length of top section.

To sum up, shortening and loading the antenna creates so many important
differences that you're misleading *yourself* if you say that the

Two footnotes:

1. The diagram for current distribution with center loading in 'Low Band
DXing' is based on the same incorrect assumption that loading coil
somehow fully "replaces" the missing 45deg of antenna. (Fortunately the
method later in the same chapter for calculating the inductance of
about current distribution.)

2. I haven't thought about an answer to Cecil's problems of what happens
to the "missing" 45deg, and what happens to the forward and reflected
waves of voltage and current. Since it's Cecil who chooses to think
about antennas in such ways, he'll have to solve his own problems!

My only point is that a correct solution can *not* involve a difference
in the currents at the two ends of an idealized lumped inductor. Such a
difference simply cannot be... so the true solution will be that bit
harder for Cecil to find.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Richard Clark November 5th 03 07:39 PM

On 05 Nov 2003 14:39:57 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

We are back to this line of "reasoning":
.....and if we rip all four legs off the frog and say "Frog jump", frog doesn't
jump. The "conclusion" is - Froggie is deaf :-)

I am gathering material for test setup allowing to measure RF current in every
foot of the loaded antenna, I have two 8 amp meters, so I will have to use some
power for full deflection, but it will be just another level of the same thing.
You are all invited to witness! I will document it, take pictures and video.

Hi Yuri,

Good engineering starts with a plan. You start with the instruments
you have available. This is the line of "reasoning" where, if you
have only a hammer, all problems are nails.

It took no more than 1 minute to summon up my EZNEC file of your test
set-up (which you have still failed to confirm, deny, amend, or
specify) to observe that your comment:
so I will have to use some power for full deflection

which is rather low on specifics to observe for myself this must mean
100W as the base current for the model comes quite close to the 8
Ampere full scale deflection for 100W drive.

However, we get into issues of your having done work at the 100mA
levels and we thus turn to my earlier comments about accuracy.

100mA on an 8 Ampere full scale 3.5 inch meter is slightly more than
1% deflection (less than the width of the needle). The 100W
excitation current levels near and through the model's solenoid
exhibit values in the 1 Ampere region or at 12% deflection for an
instrument that is arguably as accurate as 10%. This does not bode
well for a compelling exhibition of any conclusive results.

NOW, if I were wrong to presume that 100W is going to be the
excitation - is that MY fault? If we jack up the power applied
(easily within the means of an amateur so empowered, so to speak) then
that region can certainly be forced into readings of vastly improved
accuracy relative to the available metering. HOWEVER, this now
inhibits doing the full length survey because the lower section would
clearly overload the metering. You can't win for losing.

Well, you can win if you are accomplished at the bench (a rare talent
in this ivory tower where merit is weighed by angel population counts)
by modifying your metering through shunts. I will warn you, however,
it is incumbent upon you to reveal how that was accomplished, how it
was confirmed and the data to support that too. You will also have to
measure the surface temperatures and conspire to replicate them to
your metering (something that you have not really responded to) to
observe the systematic error introduced by these ever growing power
applications. This, in a sense, is a turn of "you can't win for
losing, but you can get close, but you still might lose anyway."

I might add that you stand every chance of being slow cooked while
taking readings. Both for safety's sake and accuracy (so as to not
disturb the fields and those readings) use a telescope. We don't want
your video to appear on FOX. I will add for the sake of anticipating
the gowned one's suggestions, remote readings through extended leads
will invalidate everything.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Mark Keith November 5th 03 08:29 PM

Mark Keith wrote:
This is the way I view it, and why I couldn't automatically endorse
the fairly large difference they saw. Unless the coil is very long,
say as in a helical whip, I see it acting pretty much as a lumped
inductor. Sure, the current may vary some through the coil when it's a
foot or so long bugcatcher coil, but I don't see it being a major
issue. I wouldn't normally expect to see a sharp current taper across
the coil. I see that type of coil acting much as a "one piece" lumped
inductor, not as a many turned rf roller coaster ride. Not a perfect
lumped inductor, but close enuff for average gov work. MK

The round trip current phase shift in an electrical 1/4WL vertical must
total 360 degrees. If the coil doesn't perform part of that phase shift,
what does?

What if it does though? If the coil is still a fairly small portion of
the overall length, I don't see the change as severe. Heck, if current
is supposed to be the same on each end of the coil, it should be the
same going in both directions..:) Seems to me it would pretty much
equal out in the overall scheme of things. Even if one ends up with a
bit more current, being the coil is not that large overall, the
difference should not be drastic. Or to my thinking anyway..I think
it's quite possible a coil mounted higher than 1/2 the total length
shows a sharper cutoff of current at it's end. To me , it's because of
the shorter overall length of the stinger above the coil. The current
taper at the top of the coil and above is more abrupt than if the coil
were center loaded. Or thats the way I see it. Whether it's right or
wrong remains to be seen... MK

Yuri Blanarovich November 5th 03 09:28 PM

However, we get into issues of your having done work at the 100mA
levels and we thus turn to my earlier comments about accuracy.

100mA on an 8 Ampere full scale 3.5 inch meter is slightly more than
1% deflection (less than the width of the needle).

Richard,
you got the "wires crossed" - mixing two cases.
W9UCW measured data I have been quoting in my article at K3BU.us, he SET the
power for the bottom meter to read full scale on his 100 mA meter. Then he read
the top meter which showed readings in the 40 to 60 % down.
I have not done my measurements besides "hand test" and frying the Hustler
coils. Just brief test to see how much deflection I get with 100W on 8A meter.

I know a thing or two about measurements, done my years at IBM Test Engineering
Dept. I will document my tribulations and if get it, use infrared camera too.
If W9UCW lied, deceived us I will be the first one to choke him :-) So far he
put figures on what I knew and they jive.
Why don't you guys that know pitfalls of measurement do it and report ?????
Hello????

Yuri. K3BU.us

I am not as dumb as Reg portrays me. Got highest IBM Award - Outstanding
Contribution Award signed by then chairman Frank Cary for Design and
Development Excellence. BTW this was doing something that "experts" at IBM
Endicott lab said it couldn't be done. This coil stuff is trivial in
comparison.

Jim Kelley November 5th 03 09:38 PM

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote:
Since we have assumed a lumped loading coil, the current at the top of
the coil is the same 0.9A. But now the current distribution in the top
22.5deg is very different from the full-size case: it tapers much more
sharply, from 0.9A down to zero at the very top.

Right. But the discussion is about whether the lumped loading coil
model is accurate. Any conclusions based upon inaccurate assumptions
would probably also be inaccurate.

73, Jim AC6XG

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 10:16 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
Where you're going astray (I suspect) is in believing that the coil
literally "replaces" the 45deg of antenna that was lost when we halved
the height. It doesn't - the loading coil drastically changes the
current distribution.

No, I do NOT claim that the coil literally replaces the 45 degree of
antenna that was lost. The feedpoint impedance drops which indicates
that it is not a literal replacement. The decrease in the feedpoint
impedance indicates that the antenna is not radiating as much energy
in one cycle as a full 1/4WL vertical since the reflected current has
increased. This is consistent with field strength tests.

Since we have assumed a lumped loading coil, the current at the top of
the coil is the same 0.9A. But now the current distribution in the top
22.5deg is very different from the full-size case: it tapers much more
sharply, from 0.9A down to zero at the very top.

I propose that it cannot do that. Seems to me, the impedance looking toward
the end of the antenna is approximately the same for a six foot whip Vs the
base of a six foot whip mounted atop a coil. I don't see any reason to suspect
otherwise. Please provide me a reason.

the feed impedance of the
loaded antenna is much lower than that of the full-size;

.... which proves my point above. That indicates that it is not as efficient
a radiator as a full size 1/4WL vertical. In fact, the less efficient it
becomes as a radiator, the lower the feedpoint impedance. This fits in
exactly with the fact that a good 75m mobile antenna has a ~12 ohm
feedpoint impedance.

To sum up, shortening and loading the antenna creates so many important
differences that you're misleading *yourself* if you say that the

I never said that so I assume that is your straw man. If that is not
a straw man, I apologize but it walks and talks like a straw man.

1. The diagram for current distribution with center loading in 'Low Band
DXing' is based on the same incorrect assumption that loading coil
somehow fully "replaces" the missing 45deg of antenna.

Please prove that a shortened antenna that is electrically 90 degrees
doesn't replace the missing number of degrees in the physical antenna.

2. I haven't thought about an answer to Cecil's problems of what happens
to the "missing" 45deg, and what happens to the forward and reflected
waves of voltage and current.

That's more than obvious, Ian. :-) How about thinking about those nagging
questions and providing us an answer? This is what happens when one ignores
the basics. The steady-state shortcut strikes again.

My only point is that a correct solution can *not* involve a difference
in the currents at the two ends of an idealized lumped inductor. Such a
difference simply cannot be... so the true solution will be that bit
harder for Cecil to find.

Since there is no such thing in reality as an idealized lumped inductor,
there is no real solution to the problem. Please allow me to suggest that
you guys are just engaging in mental masturbation. Was it good for you? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 10:23 PM

Mark Keith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
The round trip current phase shift in an electrical 1/4WL vertical must
total 360 degrees. If the coil doesn't perform part of that phase shift,
what does?

What if it does though? If the coil is still a fairly small portion of
the overall length, I don't see the change as severe. Heck, if current
is supposed to be the same on each end of the coil, it should be the
same going in both directions..:) Seems to me it would pretty much
equal out in the overall scheme of things.

May I suggest that you think about the problem for awhile longer? If the
current doesn't undergo a 360 degree phase shift in its round trip, that
will *decrease* the feedpoint current. But we know the feedpoint current
*increases* when a loading coil is installed. This is a clear indication
that the reflected current is still in phase with the forward current.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 5th 03 10:28 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
I am not as dumb as Reg portrays me.

What Reg needs is some Bella Sera Merlot. Dang, that's good stuff.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Ian White, G3SEK November 5th 03 11:09 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote:
Since we have assumed a lumped loading coil, the current at the top of
the coil is the same 0.9A. But now the current distribution in the top
22.5deg is very different from the full-size case: it tapers much more
sharply, from 0.9A down to zero at the very top.

Right. But the discussion is about whether the lumped loading coil
model is accurate. Any conclusions based upon inaccurate assumptions
would probably also be inaccurate.

The discussion has had to take a step back, because we quickly
discovered that there isn't agreement about the properties of an
idealized lumped inductor.

Without that shared fundamental understanding of what "the lumped model"
is, it's hopeless to discuss whether or not that model is accurate for a
practical coil.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Ian White, G3SEK November 5th 03 11:21 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

[More wriggling, followed by]

Please allow me to suggest that
you guys are just engaging in mental masturbation. Was it good for you? :-)

I'm finished with you.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Jim Kelley November 5th 03 11:48 PM

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote:
The discussion has had to take a step back, because we quickly
discovered that there isn't agreement about the properties of an
idealized lumped inductor.

There's been some blustery speculation about that, but I think the issue
is more whether or not an idealized inductor can actually tell us the
whole story. It doesn't seem to.

Without that shared fundamental understanding of what "the lumped model"
is, it's hopeless to discuss whether or not that model is accurate for a
practical coil.

Perhaps so. I haven't seen anyone actually share their fundamental
understanding of the model with the group yet.

73, Jim AC6XG

Richard Clark November 6th 03 04:08 AM

On 05 Nov 2003 21:28:06 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

Why don't you guys that know pitfalls of measurement do it and report ?????
Hello????

Hi Yuri,

As this is your party, the burden of proof is upon you. I supplied
you with a litany of trip-points and you in fact responded to none.
If we await and find breathlessly announced results achieved by
obviously problematic means followed by universal HO-HUMs, is it MY
fault?

This coil stuff is trivial in
comparison.

You may not be dumb, you may have been awarded up the gumpstump, you
may have done testing, but nothing is trivial or everything is
trivial. In other words, why all the sturm und drang if there's
nothing to it? Announcing things like this being trivial, in the
spin-meistering of the political hacks, is lowering the bar and
reducing expectations so that mediocre work glows in comparison.

Obtaining precision and accuracy is not daunting, it is not beyond the
reach of ordinary means, it simply takes planning. Too many here
backfill that lack with cut-and-paste philosophy.

Yuri, you came here to buff up your position to counter Tom's
criticism. You asked for input, and instead you seem to be fishing
for praise. What's the program? Respond to the technical points or
insert [applause here] in your posts.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 04:19 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
There's been some blustery speculation about that, but I think the issue
is more whether or not an idealized inductor can actually tell us the
whole story. It doesn't seem to.

If a loading coil has no effect on the current or the electrical
length of the antenna, exactly what effect does it have?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 04:22 AM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Please allow me to suggest that
you guys are just engaging in mental masturbation. Was it good for
you? :-)

I'm finished with you.

Ian, I apologize if my humor offended you.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison November 6th 03 02:56 PM

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"Until someone can explain exactly how a lumped inductor causes a
45-degree phase shift in the current, I`m going to assume that a lumped
inductor is incapable of that feat."

There are base loading coils in shielded boxes which don`t radiate but
do have significant inductance which make too-short antennas seem long
enough for impedance matching purposes.

How to get 45-degrees? Make te reactance equal to the total resistance
in the circuit. Pythagoras showed how about 2500 years ago. You have a
1:1 ratio between resistance and reactance which are at right-angles to
each other. Thus, the resultant impedance is the vector sum which is the
square root of 2 times the resistance or reactance which are equal.
Pythagoras said: c sq = a sq + b sq.

c = impedance
a = resistance
b = reactance

Resistance and reactance are at right angles to each other. When they
are equal, their resultant impedance bisects the right-angle of
90-degrees, so the impedance is at 45-degrees.

In a resistance, the voltage drop is instantaneous with the current
through the resistance. In a pure inductance, current lags the voltage
by 90-degrees. In a circuit containing both resistance and inductive
reactance, the current lag is somewhere between 0 and 90-degrees. In
fact, the current makes the same angle with the applied voltage as
impedance in the circuit makes with the resistance because volts and
amps are in-phase in the resistance.

An inductor which radiates brings an extra to the impedance calculation,
its radiation resistance.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 03:26 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Ian, I apologize if my humor offended you.

It wasn't the "humor" (which was too feeble to offend anyone) but your
talent for turning any technical discussion into a total waste of time.

Imaginary circuits impossible to achieve in reality are not a waste of
time? What is the agenda for diverting the discussion away from reality
to something that cannot possibly exist in reality? I may be wrong, but
it seems to me that agenda simply seeks to avoid the truths that will be
uncovered by limiting the discussion to things that are possible.

Since lumped inductors are impossible to achieve in reality, one might
assert that they can sit up and spit cider in your eye. (From an old
Dean Martin movie) How could you ever prove otherwise since the
assertion cannot be tested?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 03:36 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"Until someone can explain exactly how a lumped inductor causes a
45-degree phase shift in the current, I`m going to assume that a lumped
inductor is incapable of that feat."

There are base loading coils in shielded boxes which don`t radiate but
do have significant inductance which make too-short antennas seem long
enough for impedance matching purposes.

But the point is, those loading coils in shielded boxes are NOT *lumped
inductors*. We have been told that lumped inductors have zero phase shift.
Apparently, a 45-degree phase shift in the current through a lumped inductor
would violate the rules of usage for lumped inductors.

I have no doubt that real-world inductors provide a phase shift in the
current. My statement was limited entirely to lumped inductors, a purely
imaginary conceptual model. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yuri Blanarovich November 6th 03 03:52 PM

KB7QHC wirtes:
As this is your party, the burden of proof is upon you. I supplied
you with a litany of trip-points and you in fact responded to none.

I appreciate your points, some are valid, I know about them, some were off
target, some are in the area of nitpicking, when we are overlooking bigger
picture.

I explained that your previous posting was based on wrong assumptions (not
reading carefully the threads?) - the 100mA on 8A meter, measurement
techniques, etc.

I will do my tests and measurements, first I will do that on my Radiomobile, to
test the real life typical mobile situation. Next it would be to replicate
W9UCW setup with radials.

I keep getting "arguments" that are nitpicking in the .01 area of significance
vs. 50% and the facts.

I presented 7 points of proof and asked if anyone can debunk them, prove wrong,
so far not a single "overthrow".

Let me try to summarize again briefly:

The temperature test, feeling or thermal strips prove that there is not .1
difference in current accross the loading coil but around 50%.

W9UCW measured it and showed 40 - 60% differences.

W5DXO explained mechanics of the effect.

Are the FACTS in the way of coil "must" have the same current theory?

This is not enough proof that current is significantly different at both ends
of the coil rather than miniscule, hardly measureable? That IS the argument.

As has been demonstrated, there is a camp that believes the current is the
same. We know it is not and are bringing it to their attention in hope that it
will set the record and knowledge straight. If they choose not to believe it,
then let them be happy with their calculated world.

Anyone measured it yet?

Yuri, K3BU.us

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 05:00 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Are the FACTS in the way of coil "must" have the same current theory?

This is not enough proof that current is significantly different at both ends
of the coil rather than miniscule, hardly measureable? That IS the argument.

As has been demonstrated, there is a camp that believes the current is the
same. We know it is not and are bringing it to their attention in hope that it
will set the record and knowledge straight.

One more data point. Assuming a 102 inch base-loaded mobile antenna on 75m,
the impedance looking into the whip is around 0.5-j2000. If we assume a current
of 1.5 amp into the bottom of the coil and also out of the top of the coil,
the voltage at the top of the coil will be around 3000 volts.

With a base loaded 75m antenna, the voltage at the top of the coil should
not be extremely difficult to measure and could be viewed with an oscilloscope.
This is an experiment that I can do at reduced power.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley November 6th 03 05:13 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
We have been told that lumped inductors have zero phase shift.

I think the claim is that there is zero current differential in
magnitude across a lumped inductor. It's certainly true of a pure
inductor. Presumably, one in which radiation is not a factor, and for
which the electrical length is short compared to wavelength.

73, Jim AC6XG

Richard Harrison November 6th 03 05:16 PM

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"My statement was limited entirely to lumped inductors, a purely
imaginary conceptual model."

Sorry I didn`t get the picture. An inductor that provides no phase shift
is similar to a capacitor that holds no charge. Inductors and capacitors
store energies in their magnetic and electric fields. Current lags in
the inductor and leads in the capacitor. Pure reactances have a
90-degree phase shift between applied voltage and resulting current by
definition.

An inductor sans phase shift is salt without savor or sugar without
sweetness.

Lumped inductance means coiled in place of straight wire, to me.
Reference to toroidal coils in this thread implied to me an absence of
external field, for which I chose a shielded coil with a straight-axis
for my example.

I agree with Cecil that a 90-degree antenna which includes only a
45-degree length of wire needs another 45-degree phase-shift in its
length to reach the full 90-degrees.

As the coil is in series with a resistance, and the resistance the coil
experiences depends upon its position between drivepoint
(low-resistance) and far end (high resistance) at the end of the
element, the inductance required to produce the same required phase
shift, varies with its position in the element.

Where the resistance is low, so is the required inductance. Where the
resistance is high, so is the required inductance, and it is all for the
same number of degrees that the antenna is short.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Jim Kelley November 6th 03 05:36 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
If a loading coil has no effect on the current or the electrical
length of the antenna, exactly what effect does it have?

Apparently the correct answer is "loading".

73, Jim AC6XG

Richard Clark November 6th 03 06:00 PM

On 06 Nov 2003 15:52:29 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
I explained that your previous posting was based on wrong assumptions (not
reading carefully the threads?) - the 100mA on 8A meter, measurement
techniques, etc.

Hi Yuri,

This, above, is exactly my complaint and it illustrates how you are
projecting your problem on me. It is you who is not reading carefully
because you did not respond to the issues, but rather injected this
specious comment.

I responded specifically to 100mA, I responded specifically to 8A, I
responded to how you are going to lose accuracy through scaling, I
responded specifically to how you could approach that, I responded
directly to what it would demand. You answered NONE of these
technical issues and instead made this lame complaint above. You left
me to speculate about the model - NO RESPONSE to that either. You
left me to speculate about drive level - NO RESPONSE to that either.
You describe the enormous heat issues that come with these
characteristics that have been UNRESPONDED to. Instead you dismiss
the issue of heat in the same breath as applied to a caloric based
measuring device as:
nitpicking in the .01 area of significance

Which is unsupported by any data. Obviously you find it simpler to
reject than to investigate. This is the class of argument you decry
coming from Tom, but it is consistent with the class of sneer review
common in this forum.

As I stated, please insert the stage directions [applause here] for
your scripting if you are not going to respond to the technical
comments.

What is the program? If you prefer (as shown by your more than single
participation in) these ethereal speculations of how to measure a real
infinitesimal component (a contradiction on the face of it); then
please for the sake of truth in labeling also mark your postings as
being "for entertainment only."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Harrison November 6th 03 06:14 PM

Yuri, K3BU wrote:
"Are the FACTS in the way of coil "must" have the same current theory?"

Sure. Power traveling along a radiator is absorbed in resistance, both
loss and radiation resistance, so it is diminished by the time it gets
to a reflection point, the tip of the antenna. This is not like a coil
without an opportunity to radiate or which is small in terms of
wavelength.

Often an extreme example is more impressive than the mediocre. For
instance, complete reflections on a lossless line make clearer examples
of phase patterns than slight mismatches on a lossy line.

For a coil, use the example of the "normal helix antenna". At one of the
radio broadcast stations where I worked in 1949, was an operator, James
L. Davis, W5LIT who wrapped a bamboo fishing pole completely from end to
end with wire in the form af a solenoid, using it as his rear bumper
mounted 75-meter phone mobile antenna. When he modulated, the corona at
its tip echoed his voice.

Obviously, there was a huge difference in the drivepoint current (high)
of this antenna, a continuous coil, and the current at the tip (low).
The voltage was the reverse of its end currents, being high where the
current was low and being low where the current was high. J.L. Davis was
very pleased with his mobile operation.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Cecil Moore November 6th 03 06:53 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
We have been told that lumped inductors have zero phase shift.

I think the claim is that there is zero current differential in
magnitude across a lumped inductor. It's certainly true of a pure
inductor. Presumably, one in which radiation is not a factor, and for
which the electrical length is short compared to wavelength.

For a lumped inductance, the electrical length is zero. Presumably,
that has a zero effect on the current. Assuming that only the voltage
is affected, the phase relationship between the voltage and current
is blown compared to an unloaded antenna. But the relationship is
somehow (magically?) restored by the time the end of the antenna is
encountered. Exactly how is that relationship restored?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp