RadioBanter

-   -   Current in antenna loading coils controversy (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/670-current-antenna-loading-coils-controversy.html)

Yuri Blanarovich October 29th 03 06:58 PM

Current in antenna loading coils controversy

Howdy perpetual arguers!

Here is the good one for you on eHam.net

http://www.eham.net/articles/6512

between yours truly (right) and Tom, W8JI (wrong).

It centers around the argument that the RF current in the antenna loading coils
is (or not) equal. Classic case of "theory" (wrongly applied) to real life
measurements and facts. There is referenced previous article that started it
all and on my budding web site www.K3BU.us full text with pictures at
http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

It looks like this factor is not properly accommodated in modeling programs
using loading inductors in antenna elements. In view of the above, time
permitting, I will try to do some work and try to shed some more light on the
subject.

Any experiences out there, rather than more "reasons" why it ain't so?
Proper accommodation in modeling programs can give substantial improvement in
loaded elements modeling.

Let the games begin :-)

Yuri, K3BU

Wes Stewart October 29th 03 08:20 PM

On 29 Oct 2003 18:58:40 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
set up a tar baby:

|Let the games begin :-)

You say (at least I think you said): "Roy Lewallen, W7EL, author of
EZNEC and Wes Stewart, N7WS recommend workarounds to replace the coil
with cylinder of similar size or breaking the coil to number of
physical segments with appropriate inductances."

I'll admit to forgetting more things as I get older but I'll be damned
if I remember making any such statement.

Can you post a link to this so I know what it is that you think I
said, or what I said that I don't remember saying?

Wes Stewart N7WS

Yuri Blanarovich October 29th 03 08:37 PM

????????? ".

Please state unambiguously and explicitly what it is you wish to know.
---
Reg.

Look at the article(s), it refers to current being equal (or not) at both ends
of the loading coil in the antenna elemnt.

In a nutshell, I (and W9UCW, etc.) found that current diminishes accross the
coil. W8JI using Kirchoff and Ohm says it can't.

I am curious if anyone else made measurements (never mind "theory") and what
they found.

Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich October 29th 03 08:40 PM

Can you post a link to this so I know what it is that you think I
said, or what I said that I don't remember saying?

Wes Stewart N7WS

Without going the route of providing "evidence" I posted the question about the
modeling loading coils here, and Roy and you provided suggestions of the
described workaround (if my memory doesn't fail me :-)

Yuri

w4jle October 29th 03 08:46 PM

Another stiff dick contest between you and Tom?

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message
Howdy perpetual arguers!

Wes Stewart October 29th 03 09:18 PM

On 29 Oct 2003 20:40:11 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

|Can you post a link to this so I know what it is that you think I
|said, or what I said that I don't remember saying?
|
|Wes Stewart N7WS
|

|Without going the route of providing "evidence" I posted the question about the
|modeling loading coils here, and Roy and you provided suggestions of the
|described workaround (if my memory doesn't fail me :-)

In other words, I didn't say it.

Reg Edwards October 29th 03 09:23 PM

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote

I (and W9UCW, etc.) found that current diminishes across the
coil. W8JI using Kirchoff and Ohm says it can't.

I am curious if anyone else made measurements (never mind "theory") and

what
they found.

=============================

If you mean the current distribution along the length of the coil was not
uniform but tapering then it is not surprising.

The important thing is by how much did it taper and in what direction? Up
or down?

Please describe clearly the type of instruments used and how you made your
measurements.

By how much did the current measuring instrument affect the strength of
current flowing, for example by detuning the antenna?

What was the length and diameter of the coil, and the number of turns?

What were the lengths of the antenna above and below the coil?

At what frequencies were the measurement made?

What was the current in amps in the coil wire at the bottom, at the centre
and at the top of the coil?

What does the current distribution in the coil affect, AND BY HOW MUCH?
----
Reg

Jim Kelley October 29th 03 09:43 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
[...]

Gee, Reg. Until now I've always gotten the impression that you already
learned everything there was to know about this stuff. :-)

73, AC6XG

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 01:12 AM

Another stiff dick contest between you and Tom?

Yep,
I post fact of life, Tom pompously chimes in that it can't be so with some
added ridicule, and I won't budge to a bully that is barking up the wrong tree.
This is about 5th time. Watch him to become expert in few moths "he said it all
along" :-) and will become a guru.

All in the good spirit of learning :-)

Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 01:16 AM

What does the current distribution in the coil affect, AND BY HOW MUCH?
----
Reg

Reg it is all there in my article and references I posted in my post. Can you
look up those links or is there a problem? I hate to go over the stuff again.
If you can't look up the links, perhaps I could post the text here, but article
has details, measurements, pictures of meters and facts of life.

Yuri
www.K3BU.us

Reg Edwards October 30th 03 02:57 AM

Gee, Reg. Until now I've always gotten the impression that you already
learned everything there was to know about this stuff. :-)

73, AC6XG

=============================

Jim, if you promise, cross-your-heart, not to tell anybody I'll let you into
a long-hidden secret.

When it comes to the the distribution of current along a loading coil on a
vehicle-mounted whip I am severely handicapped in that I have never been
mobile in a motor car with a radio transmitter, never owned a motor car,
never even held a driver's licence.

Otherwise I am quite a normal person who takes an interest in electric
currents flowing along wires, rods, through coils and around the surfaces of
such things as vehicle bodies. Normallity extends to world-wide objections
against being choked by petrol fumes and the now common practice of
financing pirate expeditions to obtain the diminishing raw material from
which the poisonous liquid is refined.

It seems Yuri is interested in modelling short, coil loaded antennas. He
refers to controversy. I can set his mind at rest and assure him there is
none.

When the length of a loading coil is short in comparison with the overall
height of the antenna, certainly in comparison with a wavelength, the
current into one end can be assumed, with negligible error, to be equal to
that which comes out of the other end as with any other coil in an L,C,R
network analysis. Its stray capacitance can be ignored except for
investigating its self-resonant frequency.

It is a lump of inductance effectively concentrated at its midpoint. For
estimating antenna behaviour and performance it is necessary only to add
half the length of the coil to the length of the lower portion of the
antenna, and to do likewise to the upper length. The antenna's distributed
radiation and wire loss resistance can be sufficiently accurately estimated
from these dimensions, all being transformed to the feedpoint according to
the normal transforming action of the lengths of transmission line (the
antenna parts) involved.

================================

When coil length is nearly as long as the antenna, ie., a close-wound
helical for the lower frequencies, in which coil loss for a high inductance
is minimised by using thick wire rather than an inconvenient, very large
diameter coil, the antenna is best considered as a continuously loaded
1/4-wavelength transmission line in which its uniformly-distributed
capacitance, loss resistance and radiation resistance per unit length is
taken into account.

================================

For practical purpose, these different-proportioned sorts of short vertical
antennas all have the same, simple, well known radiation pattern. Any slight
differences are overwhelmed by variations, entirely out-of-human-control, in
the local environment and along the propagation path. What matters is
radiating efficiency. The standard of radiating efficiency is that of a very
high 1/2-wave dipole of any orientation and there's no need to be concerned
here where the radiation disappears to.

There is only one question of consequence. At what height up a short
vertical is a coil of given intrinsic Q to be located to maximise radiating
efficiency? It is never at or very near the top! As coil height increases
the required inductance and number of turns increases rapidly. Coil loss
resistance always overtakes the improvement in radiation resistance due to
the change in distribution of current along the antenna. A high resistance,
self resonant coil of many turns of fine wire right at the top of the
antenna eventually fails.

================================

There are various special cases which are dealt with by simple programs
available from the website below.

There is one program which covers from helicals, via screwdrivers, to lumped
coils. The coil can slide up and down the antenna to find the location of
maximum efficiency for given coil length and diameter. The number of coil
turns and wire gauge are automatically recalculated to maintain the same
required antenna resonant frequency. Program name is LOADCOIL.exe
Download and run in a few seconds.
----
=======================
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software
go to http://www.g4fgq.com
=======================

Richard Clark October 30th 03 02:59 AM

On 30 Oct 2003 01:16:24 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:
but article
has details, measurements, pictures of meters and facts of life.

Hi Yuri,

Then what's left to be said here?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 04:02 AM

Reg writes:

It seems Yuri is interested in modelling short, coil loaded antennas. He
refers to controversy. I can set his mind at rest and assure him there is
none.

When the length of a loading coil is short in comparison with the overall
height of the antenna, certainly in comparison with a wavelength, the
current into one end can be assumed, with negligible error, to be equal to
that which comes out of the other end as with any other coil in an L,C,R
network analysis. Its stray capacitance can be ignored except for
investigating its self-resonant frequency.

There is none? You are confirming there is one by your above statements.

The point is that W9UCW measured, that difference in "normal" loading coil
(not long coils or helicals) is in order of 40 to 60% less at the top of the
coil. That is significant in calculating or optimizing the efficiency of loaded
antenna. MEASURE it and don't rely on myth perpetuated since 1955 by Belrose
till today's ARRL Antenna Book. ON4UN has it right in his book.

Resonance is no big deal, efficiency is greatly affected, modeling programs are
way off especially if you include more loaded parasitic elements.

Did you read my article, facts and measurements? You can try to repeat the
measurements to validate the effect. That's what I am looking for, if we are in
error, would like to have it pointed out. Not speculations that it "should be"
like that.

Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 04:06 AM

Then what's left to be said here?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

See the comments from the flat earth society, even Reg has and "hasn't" have a
problem.

Significant impact on modeling software. If the stuff is not accomodated
properly, then results (mainly efficiency) are way off.

Mobile antennas, shortened antennas can be made better if we have handle on the
thing.

Yuri, K3BU/m

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 04:17 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Any experiences out there, rather than more "reasons" why it ain't so?
Proper accommodation in modeling programs can give substantial improvement in
loaded elements modeling.

Assume a transmission line with an SWR of 10:1. Put a series inductor
in series with the transmission line. Assuming negligible losses, the
forward current is the same at each end of the coil and the reflected
current is the same at each end of the coil. The question is: Do the
superposed currents, Ifwd+Iref, remain constant? Of course not, because
of phase shifts. With a large enough coil, one could cause a current
maximum point on one side of the coil and a current minimum point on
the other side.

That same principle holds true for standing wave antennas which are
antennas with (surprise!) standing waves. The current is NOT the same
at each end of the coil (unless a current maximum or current minimum
occurs in the middle of the coil). However, for traveling wave antennas,
the current at each end of a loading coil would be close to equal.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 04:26 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
In a nutshell, I (and W9UCW, etc.) found that current diminishes accross the
coil. W8JI using Kirchoff and Ohm says it can't.

If you put a loading coil 1/3 of the way up on an end-fed 1/2WL
vertical, the net current will increase across the coil. The
net current can decrease, or increase, or be the same magnitude
for special cases. Think Ifwd+Iref with the coil causing major
phase shifts.

Open-ended antennas like dipoles are standing wave antennas. The
forward current is relatively constant through the coil and the
reflected current is relatively constant through the coil. But
the phasor sum of those two currents can vary wildly from end
to end in the coil because of phase shifts.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 04:30 AM

Thanks Cecil,
the standing waves do it again!

So far the best argument against W8JI's Kirchoffs and Ohms!

With your permission I will post this public posting back at the eHam.net.

Now see what Reg says, hopefuly after reading the article.

Yuri

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 04:43 AM

Open-ended antennas like dipoles are standing wave antennas. The
forward current is relatively constant through the coil and the
reflected current is relatively constant through the coil. But
the phasor sum of those two currents can vary wildly from end
to end in the coil because of phase shifts.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Don't we have a case of coil being RF choke to certain extent?
Also I think that behaviour of radiator before and after the coil defines the
magnitude of the current, no?

Yuri, K3BU

Richard Clark October 30th 03 04:44 AM

wrote:

It looks like this factor is not properly accommodated in modeling programs
using loading inductors in antenna elements. In view of the above, time
permitting, I will try to do some work and try to shed some more light on the
subject.

Hi Yuri,

With respect to the data:
Here are some actual measurements of current below and above loading coils.
92" mast, using a HI-Q coil (openwound airdux, 2 1/2"d) with small thermocouple
type meters mounted on the insulated coil support. First for 40m, moving the coil
in the mast from base to center to top (with hat) and reresonating.
Base --100ma below & 66ma above
Center --100ma below & 45ma above
Top --100ma below & 37ma above

This speaks more of simple Resistive heat loss supported by your own
direct observation of:
I fried the loading coil with 600W into Hustler resonator,
melting heat-shrink tubing and wire at the bottom of the coil.

As you, through personal testimony, offer that the bottom of the coil
was warmer (hotter even) than the top; and further, given that the
measuring device is caloric based (thermocouple) it stands to reason
that the close association to heat inflates the base reading not
through the evidence of higher current, but higher (and demonstrable)
heat. The pictures show the close proximity of the thermocouples to
the heat source/coil and also reveal no readings at greater distances
from the coil.

You go to great lengths to portray the current distribution along the
entire length of the radiator from authoritative sources, and yet you
do nothing to confirm them; except over the small portion that
fascinates you and is prone to just such systematic error as I
describe.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 04:44 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
I post fact of life, Tom pompously chimes in that it can't be so with some
added ridicule, and I won't budge to a bully that is barking up the wrong tree.
This is about 5th time. Watch him to become expert in few moths "he said it all
along" :-) and will become a guru.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. The forward current hits
the end of the dipole and is reflected. There are standing current waves
on a standing wave antenna. A loading coil shifts the phase between Ifwd
and Iref so anything is possible across a coil, increasing currents,
decreasing currents, or equal magnitudes of currents. It all depends on
the phases involved. For dipoles shorter than 1/2WL, the current decreases
across the loading coils. For a 1WL dipole with the loading coils located
1/3 of the way from the feedpoint, the net current through the coils will
actually increase.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 04:48 AM

Reg Edwards wrote:
When the length of a loading coil is short in comparison with the overall
height of the antenna, certainly in comparison with a wavelength, the
current into one end can be assumed, with negligible error, to be equal to
that which comes out of the other end as with any other coil in an L,C,R
network analysis.

But Reg, why do you think they call it a standing wave antenna? Would
you also assert that the current is equal when a coil is installed in
a transmission line with reflections? If it weren't for reflections
from the open ends of a dipole, the feedpoint impedance would be
hundreds of ohms. It's the reflections that reduces the feedpoint
impedance to ~70 ohms.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 04:55 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
The point is that W9UCW measured, that difference in "normal" loading coil
(not long coils or helicals) is in order of 40 to 60% less at the top of the
coil.

All explained by the different phasing of the forward and reflected
currents at that point. If you want to blow Tom's mind, measure the current
in and out of a coil placed 1/3 of the distance up in a 1/2WL vertical.
The current will *INCREASE* from the bottom of the coil to the top of
the coil. How many times have we been warned not to use lumped circuit
theory on distributed networks?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 05:06 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Thanks Cecil,
the standing waves do it again!

See if you can get Tom to assert that the current into and
out of a coil in series with a transmission line with reflections
is also constant. :-) Same principles apply.

So far the best argument against W8JI's Kirchoffs and Ohms!

You can get a ballpark estimate of those currents by comparing
a 1/2WL dipole to a loading coil dipole. Assuming the following
two dipoles are resonant on the same frequency:

-----y----------x-----FP-----x----------y-----

-----coil-----FP-----coil-----

Assume the feedpoint impedances are the same and the losses in
the coils are negligible. The net current into the coil is close
to the current at 'x'. The net current out of the coil is close
to the current at 'y'.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 05:11 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Open-ended antennas like dipoles are standing wave antennas. The
forward current is relatively constant through the coil and the
reflected current is relatively constant through the coil. But
the phasor sum of those two currents can vary wildly from end
to end in the coil because of phase shifts.

Don't we have a case of coil being RF choke to certain extent?

RF chokes are usually high enough impedance to drop virtually all
the RF voltage across the choke.

Also I think that behaviour of radiator before and after the coil defines the
magnitude of the current, no?

It can be thought of as a very lossy transmission line where
the loss is radiation. Please see my other posting comparing
a 1/2WL dipole to a loaded dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Mark Keith October 30th 03 05:51 AM

oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich) wrote in message ...

Any experiences out there, rather than more "reasons" why it ain't so?
Proper accommodation in modeling programs can give substantial improvement in
loaded elements modeling.

Let the games begin :-)

Yuri, K3BU

Dunno, I think it varies. But I sort of agree with Tom, I think it's
fairly constant across the coil. The reason I think so, is because the
electric field across the coil is also constant, and I can easily see
that using a fluorescent bulb across the antenna and coil. Sure, there
may be some decrease, but that could be due to wire resistance loss.
Also, the construction of the antenna itself could vary the current
across the coil. If the whip is top loaded, and the current would be
linear up the whip anyway, I would think it would also be linear
across the coil, no matter where it was. If the coil were base loaded,
with the sharply tapering current distribution up the whip, the taper
across the coil *might* be more. Another reason I think it's fairly
constant is because if I elevate the coil up the whip, I also elevate
and improve the current distribution. The current will be fairly
constant all the way up to the top of the coil, and then start to
taper off as you go up the "stinger" part of the whip. If the
distribution were not fairly linear across the coil, I don't think you
would see this. I'm sure it's not perfectly linear, but I think it is
for all *practical* purposes. And like I said, probably can vary from
antenna to antenna. I haven't read the eham thing yet, but I guess
this is my wishy washy vote... MK

Reg Edwards October 30th 03 11:53 AM

Can any of you guys tell me which of the waves on the antenna does the
radiating - is it the forward or is it the backward wave ?
---
Reg

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 01:59 PM

Richard KB7QHC wrote:

This speaks more of simple Resistive heat loss supported by your own
direct observation of:
I fried the loading coil with 600W into Hustler resonator,
melting heat-shrink tubing and wire at the bottom of the coil.

No, it confirms that there is a significant (not negligible) difference in the
current at the bottom vs. top of the coil. Yes, Hustler has small (almost
resistive) wire on 80m resonator. If you trasmit for short period of time (not
enough for heat to equalize) and feel it, or use thermal strips to check
temperature, you would see the taper in the current from bottom to top. It is
in order of 50%, not negligible. Coils in tests are good quality, not
"resistive" wire, current relatively low (100mA) as shown in W9UCW measurements
and pictures.

The point is, if the current was constant or close to it, you would not see the
difference as we see it. Heat rises to the top, if anything the top would be
warmer if the current was constant. If the coil is uniform colenoid, same wire,
diameter (resistance), spacing and it shows difference in heat produced accross
the coil, then we can, using I2R formula, deduct that that current at the
bottom is greater than on the top. W9UCW measurements confirm that, Cecil
explains. Speculations that Earth must be flat might satisfy those reading the
(wrong) books, but will not jive with reality.

Simple way to test it, transmit 100W to 80m Hustler resonator, and feel the
coil. Even insensitive people can feel the significant difference in
temperatures. Put 500W to it for longer period and watch the heatshrink tubing
shrivel from the bottom up. This eliminates all the "errors" with meters to
prove the point.

Yuri, K3BU/m

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 02:04 PM

NM5K

Dunno, I think it varies. But I sort of agree with Tom, I think it's
fairly constant across the coil.

MEASURE or FEEL it! Or disprove what W5DXP is saying.

It appears that current drop is proportional to the current drop in the section
of the antenna that is "missing" - replaced by the coil. You can express it in
electrical degrees and it appears to correspond to cosine distribution.

Yuri, K3BU

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 03:07 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
Can any of you guys tell me which of the waves on the antenna does the
radiating - is it the forward or is it the backward wave ?

An electron experiences the sum of those two waves and emits a
photon when it is energized enough. So the answer is both.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore October 30th 03 03:34 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
MEASURE or FEEL it! Or disprove what W5DXP is saying.

This is easy to see using EZNEC. Model a 102' G5RV on 20m
and look at the current distribution. There are three
current maximums and four current minimums. If you install
a loading coil at a current maximum or current minimum, the
current magnitude will be the same on both sides of the coil.

If you install a loading coil at a point where the slope of
the current is negative (decreasing), the current at the bottom
of the coil will be greater than the current at the top of the
coil. This is the usual case for mobile antennas.

If you install a loading coil at a point where the slope of
the current is positive (increasing), the current at the bottom
of the coil will be less than the current at the top of the
coil.

Note: 'Top' of coil is the end closest to the the ends of the
antenna. 'Bottom' of coil is the end closest to the feedpoint.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison October 30th 03 03:38 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
"Can any of you guys tell me which of the waves on the antenna does the
radiating - is it the forward or is it the backward wave?"

I agree with Cecil, "So the answer is both."

Think of a traveling wave antenna, the rhombic. When it is properly
terminated, there is no backward wave and the radiation pattern is
unidirectional. Eliminate the termination resistance and a total
reflection occurs at the antenna`s far end. Now the rhombic is a
bidirectional antenna.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison October 30th 03 05:17 PM

Yuri, K3BU wrote:
"I ordered 19th edition of ARRL Antenna Book and followed chain of
references that led to information on page 16-7 and Fig. 9 and 10."

Excellent purchase. A series circuit tends to have the same current
throughout except when its length is significant with respect to
wavelength. A standing wave antenna has a reflected wave which makes
impedance a function of location along the antenna. So, a certain power,
incident and reflected, combine to produce voltage and current
variations on an antenna which are related to those on a transmission
line. Since radiation from an antenna occurs, power in each direction is
not constant as it tends to be on a transmission line because radiation
is taking a toll in each direction, and that`s a good thing. It`s the
purpose of the antenna.

Coil Q is important to efficiency if any part of the XL/R is loss
resistance and not radiation resistance. Radiation resistance is the
purpose of the antenna.

My ON4UN Figures are the same as Yuri`s but appear as Fig 9-22 on page
9-15. These show the current decline across a loading coil including the
obvious case of a solenoid used as an antenna where the entire current
distribution is within the continuous loading coil.

The ARRL Antenna Book has been exposed to scrutiny for many years. By
the 19th edition it`s a safe bet that moat of it is correct (without
consideration of "strings", 5 dimensions, or 11 parallel universes).

From what I`ve seen of ON4UN`s book, he got it right too.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Clark October 30th 03 05:17 PM

On 30 Oct 2003 13:59:54 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

Richard KB7QHC wrote:

This speaks more of simple Resistive heat loss supported by your own
direct observation of:
I fried the loading coil with 600W into Hustler resonator,
melting heat-shrink tubing and wire at the bottom of the coil.

The point is, if the current was constant or close to it, you would not see the
difference as we see it. Heat rises to the top, if anything the top would be
warmer if the current was constant.

Hi Yuri,

Your testimony contradicts your sentiments. You offer
incontrovertible evidence of heat at the bottom of the coil explicitly
in your statement above, and this below:

Simple way to test it, transmit 100W to 80m Hustler resonator, and feel the
coil. Even insensitive people can feel the significant difference in
temperatures. Put 500W to it for longer period and watch the heatshrink tubing
shrivel from the bottom up. This eliminates all the "errors" with meters to
prove the point.

You are using a thermocouple which is sensitive to heat, the heat of
coil loss will inflate the reading. You have twice offered heat at
the bottom of the coils that correlate strongly with inflated current
values from a caloric sensor. You have no other thermocouple data
supporting the nature of the current distribution, just the isolated
section you find attractive. Put simply, your measurements have no
reference (readings from the entire length of the radiator).

You went to some trouble to offer testimonial from reference sources
on the nature of that distribution, but you did not measure it confirm
your testing. Two readings in isolation do not prove you have 100mA
into the bottom when there is only one reading below the coil.

If you are not interested in obtaining those remaining readings of
that current distribution, then you have a poor case.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Mark Keith October 30th 03 10:55 PM

oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich) wrote in message ...
NM5K

Dunno, I think it varies. But I sort of agree with Tom, I think it's
fairly constant across the coil.

MEASURE or FEEL it! Or disprove what W5DXP is saying.

Dunno, he seems to be saying about the same thing. It depends where
the coil is mounted.

It appears that current drop is proportional to the current drop in the section
of the antenna that is "missing" - replaced by the coil. You can express it in
electrical degrees and it appears to correspond to cosine distribution.

I could buy that to an extent I guess. But say if you had a top loaded
vertical, with linear current distribution, the current across the
coil should be appx equal no matter where the coil is placed. But if
no top loading, maybe so.. MK

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 10:59 PM

Incorrect. HEAT does not rise at all, however hot gas or hot liquid
will rise in response to gravity. This has nothing to do with a loading
coil made from solid parts.

--
Bill, W7TI

Incorrect, incorrect.
If we suppose the loading coil is heating up equally (the flat earth society
argument), it heats air immediately surrounding it. Air is heating up, rises up
as you say, as it rises it picks up the other air that is heating up and they
rise together. As they progress, they heat up rest of the coil on the way up,
with the result being that the top should be warmer (hotter) than the bottom.

If we have quarter wave whip with loading coil, and the bottom contrary to the
above mechanism is warmer, thet ergo ipso there must be more current flowing in
the bottom part of the coil, confirming what we say.

Yuri, K3BU/m

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 11:19 PM

You are using a thermocouple which is sensitive to heat, the heat of
coil loss will inflate the reading. You have twice offered heat at
the bottom of the coils that correlate strongly with inflated current
values from a caloric sensor. You have no other thermocouple data
supporting the nature of the current distribution, just the isolated
section you find attractive. Put simply, your measurements have no
reference (readings from the entire length of the radiator).

The bottom meter is below the coil, so there is no heat heating up the
thermocoupled meter. If you insert the meters some distance away from the coil,
you would see the corresponding readings showing the difference between the top
and bottom. Arguments that heat or magnetic field affect the thermocouple RF
ammeters are just not realistic.

You went to some trouble to offer testimonial from reference sources
on the nature of that distribution, but you did not measure it confirm
your testing. Two readings in isolation do not prove you have 100mA
into the bottom when there is only one reading below the coil.

I did just rough test with one of my meters (has 8 A), flipping the coil and I
can see some deflection at the bottom and none at the top with 100 W into the
antenna. W9UCW et al did hundreds of measurements and showed just some
examples.

If you are not interested in obtaining those remaining readings of
that current distribution, then you have a poor case.

My "case" is to bring this to attention of those who are still "knowing" that
the current in loading coils is the same at both ends. If they doubt, they can
do their own measurements and see what it is, or show us where we are wrong.
Again, ON4UN in his Low Band DXing book has it right, ARRL Antenna Book has it
wrong and is perpetuating 50 year old misconception.

Just MEASURE or FEEL it!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri, K3BU/m

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 11:35 PM

I could buy that to an extent I guess. But say if you had a top loaded
vertical, with linear current distribution, the current across the
coil should be appx equal no matter where the coil is placed. But if
no top loading, maybe so.. MK

Top loaded vertical does not have LINEAR current distribution, that is another
simplification, fallacy. Current in the radiator has cosine distribution. At
the base, there is not much difference, just like in cosine of the angle
corresponding to the electrical length of radiator at that point.

Again, this subject of current distribution is important in optimizing the
antenna design by fine tuning the position of the loading coil in the antenna,
combination with top loading etc. Morew current flowing in the radiating part
of the antenna - the stronger the field and louder signal.

The "linear" current distribution mentioned in ARRL Compendium and Antenna Book
is the simplification propagated from Belrose's 1955 QST article. It is close,
but not exact and introduces confusion as it is demonstrated by the flat earth
society.

Yuri, K3BU/m

Tdonaly October 30th 03 11:57 PM

Yuri wrote,

Again, this subject of current distribution is important in optimizing the
antenna design by fine tuning the position of the loading coil in the
antenna,
combination with top loading etc. Morew current flowing in the radiating part
of the antenna - the stronger the field and louder signal.

What is "the radiating part of the antenna," Yuri?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Richard Clark October 31st 03 12:47 AM

On 30 Oct 2003 23:19:00 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

You are using a thermocouple which is sensitive to heat, the heat of
coil loss will inflate the reading. You have twice offered heat at
the bottom of the coils that correlate strongly with inflated current
values from a caloric sensor. You have no other thermocouple data
supporting the nature of the current distribution, just the isolated
section you find attractive. Put simply, your measurements have no
reference (readings from the entire length of the radiator).

The bottom meter is below the coil, so there is no heat heating up the
thermocoupled meter

Just MEASURE or FEEL it!

Hi Yuri,

As I said, your testimony contradicts your sentiments (for the third
time now). As you offer no inclination to provide more data (a
complete survey along the entire length of the radiator using the
thermocouple devices), this is not much in the way of proof.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark October 31st 03 12:51 AM

On 30 Oct 2003 22:59:26 GMT, oSaddam (Yuri Blanarovich)
wrote:

If we suppose the loading coil is heating up equally

Hi Yuri,

You have already testified twice that it does not - so why IF it
around?
1.)
If you trasmit for short period of time (not
enough for heat to equalize) and feel it, or use thermal strips to check
temperature, you would see the taper in the current from bottom to top. It is
in order of 50%, not negligible.

2.)