Old March 18th 05, 12:07 PM
Buck

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:48:13 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

I use plexiglas instead of particle board. Banana plugs/sockets
mounted on the plexiglas work for me. As a benefit, when the
wind blows during a thunderstorm, the antenna unplugs itself.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

That is clever. I wonder how well that would work using them in a
cobra head....hmmm.

lol,
--
73 for now
Buck
Old March 18th 05, 10:24 PM
Ted Bruce

Cecil,
I'm pretty sure that Plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic panels.
That stuff is not at all durable. On the othe hand, Lexan (trade
name) is polycarbonate, which is very durable. It is used in
bullet-resistance glass applications, and is ideal for replacing the
window panes as you suggest. That is what I'm doing in my daylight
basement shack. A couple of banana jacks make a pretty good
feed-through in my case, since part of the house overhangs the windows
down there.

By the way, The Home Depot here in Atlanta sells both kinds of panels.

regards,
Ted KX4OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:48:13 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Ed wrote:
Question: What is recommended to feed the ladderline through the
particle board? Could I just drill and mount a couple #6 brass bolts with
solder eyes on each side of the board and use it to connect ladder line, or
is something else recommended? Will this have any measurable effect on
efficiency?

Old March 23rd 05, 03:13 PM
Cecil Moore

Ted Bruce wrote:
Cecil,
I'm pretty sure that Plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic panels.
That stuff is not at all durable.

There's a picture of the Plexiglas® panel on my web page that
was taken ten years ago in Arizona and I'm still using it.
It's the 1/2 inch thick stuff, is still in good shape, and
is still performing its function perfectly. My Piper Plastics
properties chart says the effect of sunlight on Acrylic is "nil".
The main reason that I used acrylic was - it was a 50 cent piece
of stuff from the odds and ends box at a plastics place in Phoenix.
I also used it and some acrylic rods to build an air-core mobile

On the othe hand, Lexan (trade
name) is polycarbonate, which is very durable.

Yep, Lexan® is the stuff used in Airplane windows and is easy
to machine. It is superior to acrylic in every way. If I had
used polycarbonate, it would probably still be performing its
function perfectly. (My '96 GMC Sierra Pickup with 180,000 miles
on it is still performing its function perfectly. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 26th 05, 10:29 PM
Ted Bruce

Cecil,
FB on the thick Plexiglas! I was thinking along the lines of window
pane thickness. I put a couple of 2 x 4 feet 1/8" Plexiglas panels on
the back porch to keep the dog from clawing the screen out. She made
very quick work of those

I went back to Home Depot and replaced them with Lexan, and nooo
problem!

I have your page bookmarked, Cecil...I'll go there and take a look.

As I said before, Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate. That's the
stuff I curse at when trying to open a package that typically hangs
on hooks in a store. Even using scissors, it's very tough to cut. A
few year ago, when my son had an RC car, the bodies were made out of
polycarbonate, and you painted them on the inside. Very
indestructable in that applicaton.