Old March 18th 05, 03:41 AM
Ed

Default Feeding Ladderline thru window

I have a vertical slide window in my ham shack. In order to feed my coax
fed antenna systems through it, I have made a 3/4" thick piece of partical
board, about 6" tall amd ,mounted a couple BNC feedthru adapters in it.
This works quite well for coax. The window frame itself is plastic.

I would like to use a balanced tuner in my shack, about 2 feet from the
window, and feed ladderline to my antenna.

Question: What is recommended to feed the ladderline through the
particle board? Could I just drill and mount a couple #6 brass bolts with
solder eyes on each side of the board and use it to connect ladder line, or
is something else recommended? Will this have any measurable effect on
efficiency?

Thanks.

Ed K7AAT

Old March 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:41:27 GMT, Ed
wrote:

I have a vertical slide window in my ham shack. In order to feed my coax
fed antenna systems through it, I have made a 3/4" thick piece of partical
board, about 6" tall amd ,mounted a couple BNC feedthru adapters in it.
This works quite well for coax. The window frame itself is plastic.

I would like to use a balanced tuner in my shack, about 2 feet from the
window, and feed ladderline to my antenna.

Question: What is recommended to feed the ladderline through the
particle board? Could I just drill and mount a couple #6 brass bolts with
solder eyes on each side of the board and use it to connect ladder line, or
is something else recommended? Will this have any measurable effect on
efficiency?

Thanks.

Ed K7AAT

I use a couple of big ceramic feedthrough insulators from Surplus
Sales of Nebraska. They're mounted on a board in the bottom of my
window. The slight impedance bump from the feedthrough bolts seems to
have no effect on the ladderline. The settings on the tuner were the
same before and after installing the feedthroughs.

In another recent thread some recommended using two pieces of coax to
feed ladderline through a wall or whatever.

Another idea would be two double-female so-239 feedthrough's, plugging
the ladderline into each center hole with banana plugs (banana plugs
fit the center hole in an so-239 just fine).

Bob
k5qwg

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 19th 05, 12:56 AM
Jerseyj

[stuff cut]

Another idea would be two double-female so-239 feedthrough's, plugging
the ladderline into each center hole with banana plugs (banana plugs
fit the center hole in an so-239 just fine).

What is a "banana plug". I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't
a clue.

Jerry
Old March 19th 05, 01:10 AM
Cecil Moore

Jerseyj wrote:
What is a "banana plug". I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't
a clue.

They are the connectors on the ends of your Simpson meter
leads. They have four springs that ensure a wiping action
and a snug fit in the sockets.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 19th 05, 01:23 AM
Roy Lewallen

A Google search for "banana plug" brought about 67,000 hits. The very
first one has lots of pictures. I'll bet more than a few of the others
do, too.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old March 26th 05, 10:34 PM
Ted Bruce

Roy,
What wiould be the property of a polymer like acrilic or polycarbonate
to determine its effectiveness as an insulator or a dielectric?
Volume resistivity?

Tnx,
Ted KX4OM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:23:36 -0800, Roy Lewallen

---snip---

Old March 29th 05, 07:43 PM
Roy Lewallen

Ted Bruce wrote:
Roy,
What wiould be the property of a polymer like acrilic or polycarbonate
to determine its effectiveness as an insulator or a dielectric?
Volume resistivity?

Tnx,
Ted KX4OM

Volume resistivity is a useful measure only at DC.

To determine a dielectric's lossiness at RF, look at the loss tangent,
dissipation factor, or power factor. Loss tangent and dissipation factor
are the same thing, and when loss is low, power factor is also the same
for practical purposes. You'll find these in tables and descriptions of
the electrical properties of insulators. Some searching will usually
turn them up on the web if you don't have access to the appropriate
reference books. Note that the loss properties are usually a function of
frequency, so use the value at approximately the frequency of interest.

In some situations, the capacitance of the dielectric can be important,
such as when you're using it as a coil form or antenna covering. For
that, look at the dielectric constant or relative permittivity (which
are the same thing). This also changes somewhat with frequency.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old March 18th 05, 03:48 AM
Cecil Moore

Ed wrote:
Question: What is recommended to feed the ladderline through the
particle board? Could I just drill and mount a couple #6 brass bolts with
solder eyes on each side of the board and use it to connect ladder line, or
is something else recommended? Will this have any measurable effect on
efficiency?

I use plexiglas instead of particle board. Banana plugs/sockets
mounted on the plexiglas work for me. As a benefit, when the
wind blows during a thunderstorm, the antenna unplugs itself.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 18th 05, 06:31 AM
Reg Edwards

I use plexiglas instead of particle board. Banana plugs/sockets
mounted on the plexiglas work for me. As a benefit, when the
wind blows during a thunderstorm, the antenna unplugs itself.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

===============================

Cec, don't you feel disappointed you weren't struck by lightning after
the storm drifts away?
----
Reg.

Old March 18th 05, 02:39 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
Cec, don't you feel disappointed you weren't struck by lightning after
the storm drifts away?

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing around my house
struck by lightning is a five foot tall live oak tree. With
antennas, towers, telephone poles, birdhouses, and 40 foot
tall trees all around, why did lightning choose to hit a
five foot tall tree? Killed half of it but the other half
is surviving.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp