Old March 20th 05, 01:45 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message
news:9v__d.12789$oa6.3380@trnddc07...
Thanks for the good information on steel elements for a 100MHz yagi. I
think I was concerned about something that didnt exist. I thought the

fact
that the steel was magnetic might effect the elements. I'm comfortable
with using this steel wire now. I saw the straight lengths of wire at

Depot where they sell it for hanging Drop Ceilings. It may not be a rust
problem because of the coating on the wire But, the antennas will be in

the
San Diego Calif. desert anyway, so rust isnt a big problem. Besides,

these
are gifts so the new owners cal deal with the rust if they want clean

*and*
cheap.

I built a 2 meter 6 element beam out of some single strand guy wire. It
worked fine for a year or so that I had it up. There is no electrical
problem with steel but mechanical it may be something else. Rust being one
of them, the small size of the elements at 100 mhz may not be able to stand
up under wind.

Old March 20th 05, 02:42 AM
Roy Lewallen

You might consider using Copperweld wire. That way you have both the
strength and the freedom from rust. It's not mild, however -- it's hard
and springy, so it would be harder to work with.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL