Old March 29th 05, 05:23 PM
Albert

Modification of the receiver is not an option for several
reasons.........

-

The Earth and solar system make alot of noise on these frequencies. I
suspect the receiver is designed to be somewhat insensitive in order
to avoid problems with noises generated by Mother Nature.

-

The schamatic of the dog collar is not available, the manufacturer
chose to make type acceptance documents 'private'. There is a record
of the receiver, but all details are unavailable to the public.

-

The receiver assembly is in an enclosure that can't be opened,
probably to insure operation if the collar gets dunked in water (some
dogs enjoy swimming). It also appears to be potted, the black epoxy is
visible in the port provided for adjusting the correction level).

-

That being said, it might still be easier to increase the sensitivity of the
receiver. What type of antenna is on the dogs collar? Also - what is the
brand and model of this unit? It might make tracking down the soultion a bit
easier.

Old March 29th 05, 05:32 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:02:28 GMT, AB2RC
wrote:

Also what would happen if the collar lost
the xmitter signal due to other reasons (dog goes behind a trash can/metal
shed/other large metal object)?

Hi Alex,

At 17KHz this is virtually impossible. It would be like trying to
hide behind a house in Aceh when the wave came in.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 29th 05, 05:41 PM
AB2RC

wrote:

Also what would happen if the collar lost
the xmitter signal due to other reasons (dog goes behind a trash can/metal
shed/other large metal object)?

Hi Alex,

At 17KHz this is virtually impossible. It would be like trying to
hide behind a house in Aceh when the wave came in.

Forgot about the frequency there for a minute ... 17khz is a very long wave

Either way, the whole concept of this specific device seems sort of
backwards for it's intended purpose.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Linux is user friendly, however it is not idiot friendly
Old March 29th 05, 10:16 PM
John Smith

Is there a webpage of the manufacturer which contains any details of the
device in question? A picture can be worth a 1000 words....

Regards

--
Hay, if'n ya'll cun't konstructivly partecipete in this har disscusion, haw
aboot speel-checkin it fer me?

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:27:45 -0500, Albert wrote:

I'd like to increase the range without spending much money-so I want
something quick and dirty::

Hi Albert,

Hmm, more range? You should be able to fry that puppy within a
country mile if you do that.

Perhaps you should describe your goal instead of your intended method.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old March 29th 05, 11:26 PM
Toni

I Hope I misunderstood or you have thought about it:

If the collar shocks the dogs when it stops receiving the transmitter's
signal... What is going to happen to the dog when the transmitter
eventually stops working (exhausted batteries, mains cut or simple
malfunction)?

Toni

Old March 30th 05, 12:19 AM
Albert

John,

If you have broadband, I can send the files to you. There is nothing
on the manufacturers website. It's all on the FCC website, although
the schematic is marginally readable as it was scanned at low
resolution.

Let me know if your email address in your usenet post is correct and
whether you can receive the large files.

Old March 30th 05, 01:50 AM
Scott

Ahhh! Then there must also be a transmitter in the collar to "answer
back" to the stationary transmitter? If so, maybe the thing works on
the amount of time calculated for the signal to travel round trip. A
radar mile (2 miles round trip) is about 12 microseconds, if I recall.
Rountrip at 90 feet would be something like 183 nanoseconds. If THIS is
how the unit works, running a kilowatt wouldn't make a difference. It
would require changing the interval time that the transmitter waits for
check-back. Maybe I'm making this too complicated It must be
simpler and then I would think they would use something other than 17
KHz....interesteing!!

Scott

Albert wrote:

Scott,

Your question brings much complication to a matter that should be easy
to answer. I'll do my best to avoid getting bogged down in the
explanation.

The transmitter has a very long range, much longer than 90 feet. I
believe the dogs collar hears the signal for a very long distance.
But, that the collar does not issue a correction if the dog wanders
past the range of the transmitter. If the collar acted in this manner,
it would preclude the dog from RE-ENTERING the protected area from the
outside of the 90 foot range.

In order for the collar to initialize, it must hear the transmitter
(initially). If the transmitter is turned off, and the collar is
turned on, no corrections are issued.

Also, if the collar is properly initialized and operating, abruptly
turning off the transmitter DOES NOT result in a correction being
issued. Corrections are only issued IF the dog is in the intermediate
zone, which appears to be a 3 foot wide area.

This type of operation is necessary to safeguard the dog, even though
it complicates the hardware some.

At 16 kilohertz with horrendously inefficient transmitting antennas, I
doubt there would be an FCC problem, especially with a modest boost in
ERP. The Earth and the solar system generates much noise on those
frequencies as well, we could probably increase the transmit power
quite a bit without creating problems.

Hope this helps.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:09:27 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I auume these thing work in reverse of conventional thinking. I assume
that as long as the receiver is receiving a signal, the dog does not get
shocked. If it strays too far and the receiver loses the signal...ZAP!
However, modifying the transmitter would violate its Part 15
certification and the owner might be the one to get the ZAP (from the
FCC)...

Scott

Old March 30th 05, 08:14 AM
Butch

Nothing but a little receiver and a buzzer in the belt. The wire
radiates and the lil bitty receiver detects it and the little dog
regrets his closeness to his boundaries.

Butch

Old March 30th 05, 02:31 PM
Albert

Hi Scott,

I suspect you are making it more complicated than it is. I have the
schematic for the transmitter, which is the part that stays indoors
and needs AC line power.

The only receiver is the receiver in the collar.

There has to be some logic in the collar though because it has to
initialize (won't issue corrections unless it hears the transmitter
when the receiver is first turned on).

After the collar is initialized, it will not issue corrections if the
dog (somehow) gets outside the 90 foot area and tries to re-enter.
This means that once the collar loses the signal completely, it won't
issue a correction when the collar acquires the signal again.

If the transmitter is powered down completely (after proper
initialization) the collar will not issue a correction either.

So, it's a smart receiver and is well thought out. But, all these
functions can occur as the result of logic contained within the collar
mounted receiver.

Last night, I looked at the signal using spectrum lab's vlf receiver
program. When I zoomed in on the transmitters signal, I noticed that
there were sidebands occurring every 15 hz. I will post another
message with more details.

PS..................

The vlf transmitter frequency is around 17 Khz. At first, this seemed
like an odd choice for a wireless fence.

But, I've done much research into vlf, and hte frequency selection
makes much more sense now!

VLF is used because the signal penetrates the ground better, meaning
that the received signal strength doesn't vary much if the dog goes
swimming or during a rain storm. Also, the signal strength changes
very little if the dog tries to crawl 'under' the fence. The signal
strength stays about the same if the dog turns towards or away from
the transmitter as well.

It also doesn't matter whether the dog walks behind a tree or
obstacles such as small buildings, dog houses or trash cans.

Because the wavelength is so long, these obstacles don't impact the
field strength much. A vhf/uhf transmitter would have very serious
drop outs with these types of obstacles.

Old March 30th 05, 05:36 PM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:31:08 -0500, Albert wrote:
Last night, I looked at the signal using spectrum lab's vlf receiver
program. When I zoomed in on the transmitters signal, I noticed that
there were sidebands occurring every 15 hz. I will post another
message with more details.

Hi Albert,

This could be an ID modulation to serve the receiver's logic. In
other words, correction is based upon both signal strength AND
modulation.

Thus the received signal strength has to fall to a certain level that
is still above noise level (not complete drop-off) to insure that
corrections are not applied due to power failure at the transmitter
(and to allow registration at power-up).

VLF is used because the signal penetrates the ground better,

This was what I described as the subterranean communications channel
used in the trenches of WWI. I would still suggest a power boost over
building a ground dipole. The design of the amp is trivial, and kits
are available to do the job for less than $20.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC