Old April 14th 05, 08:43 PM

Or an SWR meter....:/ With that much loss, even a dead short
would probably look acceptable...
As far as 213 coax, it *is * a direct bury coax. You can bury it
no problem. Rg-6 is a 75 ohm coax used for TV/Cable.
It will work, but it would be better to use a 50 ohm line, being
you have a 50 ohm rig...Will cause you appx a 1.4 to 1 mismatch,
with is no big deal really...It will reduce your "usable" bandwidth
though...I use 213 on VHF for short runs...Some loss, but not
enough to kill you...None of my coax runs are over 50 feet..MK

Old April 14th 05, 09:08 PM
KC1DI

Roger Conroy wrote:
"KC1DI" wrote in message

KC1DI wrote:

What type of coax are you using for direct burial ? I need to burry
about 100 feet to get to my new antenna and was wondering if it is
really worth the money to go with bury-flex.
your thought are appreciated.
73 Dave

Thanks to all for your input, the installation will be for HF and
100watts or less so I've decided to go with some direct bury RG6 which I
can get from the Local cable company at a good price. Should work ok.
73 Dave

IIRC RG6 is 75 Ohm!

there's nothing wrong with 75 ohm line 1:4 to one difference in swr..
used 75 ohm line for years becaust I had a bunch.. of it.
73 Dave kc1di
Old April 14th 05, 09:23 PM
Charlie

I have about 175 ft of Davis "Direct Bury" Low Loss 9914F total at my
station. It is superb 50 ohm low loss coax that requires no "garden hose"
or "pvc" tubing. Just slit the soil or trench it and lay the coax in. At HF
frequencies it is virtually lossless. It is within .1db in loss as compared
to 9913 plus it is very flexible and can be used on rotators directly where
9913 cannot. And moreover 9913 cannot be buried directly.

IMHO it is the best coax to use.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

oups.com...

Old April 14th 05, 09:31 PM
Cecil Moore

KC1DI wrote:
there's nothing wrong with 75 ohm line 1:4 to one difference in swr..
used 75 ohm line for years becaust I had a bunch.. of it.

Back in the '50's, 75 ohm line matched the alleged
feedpoint impedance of a 1/2WL dipole and nobody
used an SWR meter anyway. All we ever monitored was
grid current and plate current. :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old April 14th 05, 10:28 PM
KC1DI

Cecil Moore wrote:
KC1DI wrote:

there's nothing wrong with 75 ohm line 1:4 to one difference in swr..
used 75 ohm line for years becaust I had a bunch.. of it.

Back in the '50's, 75 ohm line matched the alleged
feedpoint impedance of a 1/2WL dipole and nobody
used an SWR meter anyway. All we ever monitored was
grid current and plate current. :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Newsgroups

Hi Cecil,

I know it was about the same as when I got my first ticket in 1966.. and
the funny thing was we made plenty of qso's before I even new about SWR
that magical thing everyone worries about today..
73 Dave KC1DI

Old April 15th 05, 12:38 AM
Dave Heil

KC1DI wrote:

KC1DI wrote:
What type of coax are you using for direct burial ? I need to burry
about 100 feet to get to my new antenna and was wondering if it is
really worth the money to go with bury-flex.
your thought are appreciated.
73 Dave

Thanks to all for your input, the installation will be for HF and
100watts or less so I've decided to go with some direct bury RG6 which I
can get from the Local cable company at a good price. Should work ok.
73 Dave

I'd be a little wary of using RG-6. It is 75 ohm cable, will be quite a
bit lossier than RG-213 or similar sized cable for your 100 foot run,
even at HF generally has an aluminum shield. That means you'll likely
have to use an "F" female to PL-259 adapter.

I've used the stuff for feeding a beverage receiving antenna for 80 and
160m but I wouldn't use it for much else.

Dave K8MN
Old April 15th 05, 02:28 AM
John Smith

Well, moisture and electrical conductors just cater to my paranoia's....

I encased my coax in underground PVC conduit, which I cemented all joints
on, and then "air tested" (sealed the conduit ends and pressurized to 15 LBS
and made sure there was no noticeable loss over a few days.)

I still worry about it--in the wee hours of the morning--when I can't sleep
grin

Regards,
John
oups.com...