Old April 15th 05, 08:19 PM
John Smith

Because it is dependent on any "lumped" inductive or capacitive reactances
present... chuck a coil or capacitance (reactance) in the structure of the
antenna, then replot with a field strength meter...

Regards,
John

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
How does a mismatch affect the radiation pattern?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"John Smith" wrote in message
news
I could be mistaken, however, I think the radiation patten (and receive
patten) would, at least, be slightly affected by a mis-match... whether
this would justify going to extreme means of correction is debatable...

Regards,
John

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
m...
I need a sanity check. I fellow told me he was getting a balun to get a
better match between his receiver and antenna to get a better signal to
noise ratio. I told him he was wasting his time and money because a
better match increases transfer of both signal and noise. But since he
already can hear the signal he doesn't need any more. Now if he was to
get a more directional antenna he would get a reduction in noise from the
undesired direction.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old April 15th 05, 08:24 PM
Cecil Moore

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
How does a mismatch affect the radiation pattern?

Please define "mismatch". An unbalanced 50 ohms to
balanced 50 ohms could conceivably be defined as a
"mismatch".
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 15th 05, 08:48 PM
Reg Edwards

"John Smith" said -
I could be mistaken, however, I think the radiation patten (and

receive
patten) would, at least, be slightly affected by a mis-match...

whether
this would justify going to extreme means of correction is

debatable...

==============================

John, your level of analysis is far, far above that justified by the
simplicity of the problem(s).

Just get some wire in the air and see how well it works.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old April 15th 05, 09:50 PM
John Smith

LOL! Sometimes I forget Reg--sorry grin

Warmest regards,
John

"John Smith" said -

Old April 16th 05, 03:26 PM

How does a mismatch affect the radiation pattern?
tnx .....

It doesn't. I don't consider unbalanced, the same as mismatched,
to answer Cecils question. Feedline radiation can effect the
pattern due to a lack of balun, etc, but thats not the same thing as an
impedance mismatch. Also...Antenna "loading" is not the same as
antenna "matching". Many short verticals need both...
MK

Old April 16th 05, 04:11 PM
John Smith

Maybe I have a misunderstanding. I see a "mismatch" as being caused by only
two factors, either an uncompensated reactance--or, as Cecil mentioned,
feeding a bal/unbal antenna with the wrong feedline.
Indeed, any feedline can simply be analyzed as a series of lumped
reactances--inductive and capactitive.
How should I be viewing this?

Regards,
John

oups.com...

Old April 16th 05, 04:30 PM
John Smith

Errr, let me be a bit more specific...

The "beam width" of a quarter-wave has a very wide "acceptance ratio" and
grabs much more reflection from the ionosphere--a half-wave has a much
narrower beam width--it is a "quieter" antenna, but, grabs more of the
signal I am after...

At least, it appears like that...

A five-eights-wave has even a lower beam width--these three antennas,
because of length differences, exhibit differing reactances, when these
reactances are cancelled (such as using an L-Match) they become
"matched"--right?

Of course, this ignores conductor resistance, and takes for granted the
antenna is being fed at the proper point...

Regards,

John

"John Smith" wrote in message
Maybe I have a misunderstanding. I see a "mismatch" as being caused by
only two factors, either an uncompensated reactance--or, as Cecil
mentioned, feeding a bal/unbal antenna with the wrong feedline.
Indeed, any feedline can simply be analyzed as a series of lumped
reactances--inductive and capactitive.
How should I be viewing this?

Regards,
John

oups.com...

Old April 16th 05, 05:03 PM
Richard Fry

"John Smith" wrote
The "beam width" of a quarter-wave has a very wide "acceptance ratio" and
grabs much more reflection from the ionosphere--a half-wave has a much
narrower beam width--it is a "quieter" antenna, but, grabs more of the
signal I am after...

_____________

A 1/2-wave VHF/UHF vertical has more gain at lower elevation angles than a
1/4-wave, but that may not usefully improve the SNR of the system. Most of
the noise power in these antennas doesn't arrive from higher angles anyway,
because those freqs don't reflect well from the ionosphere.

RF

Old April 16th 05, 05:33 PM

No. Feeder radiation has *nothing* to do with impedance
matching. Zero. Nada...Zilch. Ever!...You can have a perfect
1:1 match, and still have feedline radiation. Or you can have
a horrible impedance mismatch, and have very little feeder
radiation. Feeder unbalance, lack of baluns, chokes, etc, etc,
should never be confused with impedance matching. I don't
think the term "mismatch" should be applied to a lack of balance,
etc...If you tell me you have a mismatch, I'll always assume you
mean impedance. Anyway, no matter my views...
Impedance mismatch will never change the pattern of the antenna.
For practical purposes, it's the same as raising or lowering power
to the antenna. If you run 50 more watts to an antenna, it's pattern
does not change. Ditto, if you run 50 less...MK

Old April 16th 05, 07:06 PM
John Smith

huh? If you have an impedance mismatch, you are NOT feeding the antenna at
the proper point, or with the proper ohm line, or without a proper matching
circuit! Either one of these will exhibit some type of reactance!
OR! OMG! My "knowledge"/thinking is in error!
????

Regards,
John
ups.com...