RadioBanter

-   -   !3.8 V DC in series. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/69801-3-8-v-dc-series.html)

Richard April 27th 05 12:34 AM

!3.8 V DC in series.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total.
Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Cecil Moore April 27th 05 12:44 AM

Richard wrote:
Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

If the output pins are isolated from each other and from
the chassis, you can series the power supplies. If the
chassis is connected to the common lead, you can't.

Think batteries. You can generally series two batteries
unless both negatives are tied to the vehicle chassis.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dave April 27th 05 09:05 PM

it is possible as long as both output terminals are isolated from the line
ground (and case preferably for safety!). many dc supplies connect the
negative to the case and line ground so if you tried to put them in series
you would short one of them out through the other one's ground.

W9DMK April 27th 05 11:52 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I

would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total.
Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Richard

I am reminded of a day in our engineering lab at Westinhouse Ordnance
Department in 1958 when I was working on the depth control system for
the MK-45 (ASTOR) torpedo.

Everything aboard the fish ran on 24 volts for a variety of reasons -
tradition, it was readily available as a tap off of the main battery,
and there was a host of 24 vdc electrical equipment available from the
war years.

We had a 24 vdc motor generator set in the lab that produced all of
the 24 dc main power to the workbenches in the lab. Each workbench had
a pair of wires coming to it with a large two-pole knife switch to
connect or disconnect the 24 vdc source.

Each person working at a bench was generally engrossed in his own
private hell of trying to make whatever he was working on work
properly. As you might expect, no one paid much attention to how his
circuitry was grounded locally - if at all.

One day a lab technician named Mike working a couple of benches away
from me started laughing about the smoke that he saw rising up from
the circuit on my bench. I felt rather stupid about the fact that for
some reason my circuitry was cooking, big time. Then I noticed that
behind Mike there was a column of smoke rising up from his circuitry,
as well.

You guessed it, he had the negative side of the system grounded at his
bench and I had the positive side grounded at my bench. We had a
general meeting shortly thereafter.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html

Joe Simon April 28th 05 07:00 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Small World... I worked at Westinghouse in Cleveland, OH on the MK48 ADCAP
torpedo.

--
Joe Simon
WB2JQT

Dave April 28th 05 10:16 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

really small world... i was on submarines and shot (dummies anyway) mk48's
and 37's... i think those were the right numbers, its been a few years now.

W9DMK April 29th 05 03:43 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:16:28 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

really small world... i was on submarines and shot (dummies anyway) mk48's
and 37's... i think those were the right numbers, its been a few years now.

Dear Joe and Dave,

Yes indeed, it is a small world.

Just last week I had lunch with some of the old gang from that era at
a Westinghouse Retirees luncheon in Glen Burnie, MD.

Richard Clark April 29th 05 06:30 AM

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Hi All,

Getting smaller....

I calibrated the sonar domes in the Navy, and then pressure tested
them for Honeywell at their Marine Systems Division here in Seattle.

Funny story about that. The pressure vessel was controlled by an
ancient program running in FORTRAN (if you can imagine that).
Honeywell asked me to consult (after I had been a Metrologist for them
some years earlier) on how to translate the FORTRAN to HP Basic.

That sort of drew a slack-jawed reaction from me, it was rather a
regressive move. I suggested that the HP computers had a very nice
Pascal that would do a lot better, and the fireworks went off.

"Pascal? Isn't that one of those European commie languages? It is
written backwards isn't it?"

Management wanted to read the code. The handwriting was on the wall
and it spelled DOOMED.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC (ET1 Fleet Electronics Cal Lab, USS Holland
AS-32)

John Smith April 29th 05 07:35 AM

Pascals' syntax is structured with beauty/logic--the very language itself is
pseudo-code...
I love the brevity of text characters in "C", and the power and "brute
force"... but Pascal has beauty....

Regards,
John

Ian White GM3SEK April 29th 05 08:25 AM

Richard Clark wrote:

I calibrated the sonar domes in the Navy, and then pressure tested them
for Honeywell at their Marine Systems Division here in Seattle.

Funny story about that. The pressure vessel was controlled by an
ancient program running in FORTRAN (if you can imagine that).

It just goes to show, life is nothing but the story-line for a Dilbert
strip.

Frame 1:
Honeywell asked me to consult (after I had been a Metrologist for them
some years earlier) on how to translate the FORTRAN to HP Basic.

That sort of drew a slack-jawed reaction from me, it was rather a
regressive move. I suggested that the HP computers had a very nice
Pascal that would do a lot better, and the fireworks went off.

Frame 2:
"Pascal? Isn't that one of those European commie languages? It is
written backwards isn't it?"

Management wanted to read the code.

Frame 3:
The handwriting was on the wall and it spelled DOOMED.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

John Smith April 29th 05 06:04 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

Warmest regards,
John

John Smith April 29th 05 07:14 PM

The different languages "speak" to coders:
1) Assembly says, "All I know about is binary bits--if you can't twist your
mind down strange directions you have not yet even imagined--don't bother
me!"
2) Basic says, let's keep it simple, but, I pay attention to data types.
3) Fortran says, "I worship mathematicians--and stand as a tribute to them."
4) Pascal says, "I am structure, form, logic and beauty--if you come back
months later, I stand as clear, sleek, fast and as beautiful as the code you
first created (well, at least TurboPascal says all that grin)."
5) "C/C++" says, "I am all of the above--and MUCH, MUCH more, and like a
spoiled child--you can have your way with me--take care in how you use me."

Regards,
John

John Smith April 29th 05 08:00 PM

Oh yeah!
And COBOL says, "I have NO time for games here--I am ALL about business!"

regards,
john

Dave April 29th 05 10:13 PM

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
Funny story about that. The pressure vessel was controlled by an
ancient program running in FORTRAN (if you can imagine that).
Honeywell asked me to consult (after I had been a Metrologist for them
some years earlier) on how to translate the FORTRAN to HP Basic.

funny story about that... i just got tasked to dig up the fortran code for a
product my company is just thinking of upgrading to something more modern.
they just finally ran up against windows xp that refuses to run the old dos
extender the fortran was linked with... then it was wrapped with a windows
gui that just ran the old fortran executable in the background. the gui
will probably be more problems to update than the fortran if i can find the
source... it uses visual c++ 1.52 i think, the last of the 16 bit windows
compilers from ms.

Richard Clark April 29th 05 10:31 PM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:13:13 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

it uses visual c++ 1.52

Hi Dave,

My condolences. M$ asked me to come in and teach them C++ back in
1990 - what a cluster****. They fired me, never asked me back, and I
could not have felt a greater sense of relief having escaped that
narcissistic hot-house of artificial blooms.

For those of you tied to the ball and chain of their latest components
with C#, it was back in these early days (1990) that they struggled to
make that symbol # out of pairs of pluses stacked:
++
++

They were going to capture OO coding with C++++. What vanity!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roy Lewallen April 29th 05 10:40 PM

There's a great deal of Fortran programming being done today -- the
comp.lang.fortran newsgroup is very active. You're sure to be able to
get some help with the Fortran there. Fortran has been standardized for
a long time, and modern compilers handle legacy code, so it shouldn't be
difficult to recompile the Fortran code with a modern compiler (e.g.,
Compaq, Intel, Lahey) either as an EXE or DLL to be run from the GUI of
your choice. That's exactly what EZNEC does with the Fortran-compiled
NEC code.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Dave April 30th 05 12:16 AM

fortran is no problem, i have been doing that off and on since 1974 or so.
the problem with this project will be locating all the source. it was done
by various contractors who may not have submitted everything to our library
way back whenever this was first done. i know that at least part of it was
done with lahey tools so that shouldn't be a problem.

John Smith April 30th 05 02:01 AM

Yes, .dll libraries of functions/procedures is one answer to a few
problems...
Most everything I write is a .dll... others do the GUI... I construct a
simple command prompt front end to check and debug the code--then ship it
off to others to do the "brain dead" GUI work...
I don't like visual IDE's (Independent Development Environments)... in fact,
I don't like GUI's!!!
I am still ****ed off everyone went from command prompt to GUI!!! It was a
bad idea when apple innovated it--it was still a bad idea when bill stole it
and copied it!!!

However, mp3 players, dvd players, etc running on computer platforms DO have
advantages...

All my utilities/apps I write run from the command line (well, most.) If I
am forced to construct a GUI, then I go directly to the winapi (you don't
need a visual environment to construct windows and graphics!), calling the
windows functions directly from my code, no third party tools (no click and
create visual tools!)

Visual tools are not needed, windows contains all the code in .dll's
already--to construct windows, msgbox'es, etc... why do I want to let
another programmer translate for me--the winapi itself makes more sense!

But, Roy, Fortran is a dead language--even my beloved Pascal, which I hate
to admit, is a dead language... with the power, speed and freedom of "C++"
all other languages are obsolete (even assembly has fallen--just drop to
inline assembly and write in assembly code) unless they run on minimal
platforms (thin clients)...

I would like to say, "This is just my opinion." However, I will stand
beside this as being fact... frown

Regards,
John

Roy Lewallen April 30th 05 02:22 AM

John Smith wrote:
. . .
But, Roy, Fortran is a dead language--
. . .

You're very wrong about that. Fortran is in wide daily use, with a great
deal of active programming going on. The main users are academic,
scientific community, and the military. Compilers are modern and
continue to be updated. The language itself undergoes periodic revisions
and updates via a standards committee. It's an evolving, modern, active
language. Drop by comp.lang.fortran or do a little basic web research
and see for yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

John Smith April 30th 05 02:50 AM

Well, I disagree...
We often ship a project out of house for coding, we don't care what language
the coder creates in...
the "#define" statement is VERY powerful in "C"... with it, we have created
headers in BASIC, Pascal, Fortran, etc... and defined the WHOLE LANGUAGE to
call C functions in place of those of the native language (there are also
translaters which translate any souce to C source, and these are generally
used in place of the headers, as documentation in C is produced at the same
time)...
Although the programmer is creating in another language, it compiles on a "C
compiler."
Now and then, to keep fluent in Pascal, I use one of these headers, I write
in Pascal--and a C compiler builds the object code...

New Jr. programmers used to come in fluent in other languages other than
"C"--this was all designed to allow them to be productive from day
one--while they came up to speed in C.

Now, C programmers are common, and I don't remember when this was last
used...

Now, most of our code is being done off shore... the world is VERY C savvy!

Regards,
John

Tom Ring April 30th 05 03:56 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote:

John Smith wrote:

. . .
But, Roy, Fortran is a dead language--

. . .

You're very wrong about that. Fortran is in wide daily use, with a great
deal of active programming going on. The main users are academic,
scientific community, and the military. Compilers are modern and
continue to be updated. The language itself undergoes periodic revisions
and updates via a standards committee. It's an evolving, modern, active
language. Drop by comp.lang.fortran or do a little basic web research
and see for yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

The basic design was well founded, and based upon need and usefullness,
unlike some following languages such as Ada and Pascal.

I wrote my first programs in Fortran II, which ran on a very small 360.

tom
K0TAR

Mike Coslo May 1st 05 01:56 AM

John Smith wrote:

But, Roy, Fortran is a dead language--even my beloved Pascal, which I hate
to admit, is a dead language... with the power, speed and freedom of "C++"
all other languages are obsolete (even assembly has fallen--just drop to
inline assembly and write in assembly code) unless they run on minimal
platforms (thin clients)...

I would like to say, "This is just my opinion." However, I will stand
beside this as being fact... frown

Reports of Fortrans demise are greatly exxagerated. Dead since the late
70's, but still in use.

- Mike KB3EIA -

John Smith May 1st 05 02:56 AM

Well, so is COBOL, still in use!!!
However, mostly, it comes to play only to fix/patch old existing code.
Usually, when the co/corp in question is either unable or unwilling to
expend resources on translating/developing and are able to get by with a
kludge...

Regards,
John

John Smith May 1st 05 03:14 AM

Actually... that isn't totally truthful...
Mathematicians (they controlled the development of Fortran!) are still using
the Apple platform and using Fortran, they are a hardnosed bunch
(dinosaurs?)... but I think this is mostly academic institutions and gov't
(probably even NASA)... they are always behind everyone else...

Regards,
John