Old April 27th 05, 12:34 AM
Richard

Default !3.8 V DC in series.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total.
Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Old April 27th 05, 12:44 AM
Cecil Moore

Richard wrote:
Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

If the output pins are isolated from each other and from
the chassis, you can series the power supplies. If the
chassis is connected to the common lead, you can't.

Think batteries. You can generally series two batteries
unless both negatives are tied to the vehicle chassis.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 27th 05, 09:05 PM
Dave

it is possible as long as both output terminals are isolated from the line
ground (and case preferably for safety!). many dc supplies connect the
negative to the case and line ground so if you tried to put them in series
you would short one of them out through the other one's ground.

Old April 27th 05, 11:52 PM
W9DMK

"Richard" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if it is possible to hook up two 12 Volt DC power
supplies in series to increase the voltage, I have two supplies that I

would
like to do that with , one being a variable supply. I need About 25 volts
total.
Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Richard

I am reminded of a day in our engineering lab at Westinhouse Ordnance
Department in 1958 when I was working on the depth control system for
the MK-45 (ASTOR) torpedo.

Everything aboard the fish ran on 24 volts for a variety of reasons -
tradition, it was readily available as a tap off of the main battery,
and there was a host of 24 vdc electrical equipment available from the
war years.

We had a 24 vdc motor generator set in the lab that produced all of
the 24 dc main power to the workbenches in the lab. Each workbench had
a pair of wires coming to it with a large two-pole knife switch to
connect or disconnect the 24 vdc source.

Each person working at a bench was generally engrossed in his own
private hell of trying to make whatever he was working on work
properly. As you might expect, no one paid much attention to how his
circuitry was grounded locally - if at all.

One day a lab technician named Mike working a couple of benches away
from me started laughing about the smoke that he saw rising up from
the circuit on my bench. I felt rather stupid about the fact that for
some reason my circuitry was cooking, big time. Then I noticed that
behind Mike there was a column of smoke rising up from his circuitry,
as well.

You guessed it, he had the negative side of the system grounded at his
bench and I had the positive side grounded at my bench. We had a
general meeting shortly thereafter.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html

Old April 28th 05, 07:00 PM
Joe Simon

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Small World... I worked at Westinghouse in Cleveland, OH on the MK48 ADCAP
torpedo.

--
Joe Simon
WB2JQT

Old April 28th 05, 10:16 PM
Dave

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

really small world... i was on submarines and shot (dummies anyway) mk48's
and 37's... i think those were the right numbers, its been a few years now.

Old April 29th 05, 03:43 AM
W9DMK

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:16:28 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

really small world... i was on submarines and shot (dummies anyway) mk48's
and 37's... i think those were the right numbers, its been a few years now.

Dear Joe and Dave,

Yes indeed, it is a small world.

Just last week I had lunch with some of the old gang from that era at
a Westinghouse Retirees luncheon in Glen Burnie, MD.

Old April 29th 05, 06:30 AM
Richard Clark

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Hi All,

Getting smaller....

I calibrated the sonar domes in the Navy, and then pressure tested
them for Honeywell at their Marine Systems Division here in Seattle.

Funny story about that. The pressure vessel was controlled by an
ancient program running in FORTRAN (if you can imagine that).
Honeywell asked me to consult (after I had been a Metrologist for them
some years earlier) on how to translate the FORTRAN to HP Basic.

That sort of drew a slack-jawed reaction from me, it was rather a
regressive move. I suggested that the HP computers had a very nice
Pascal that would do a lot better, and the fireworks went off.

"Pascal? Isn't that one of those European commie languages? It is
written backwards isn't it?"

Management wanted to read the code. The handwriting was on the wall
and it spelled DOOMED.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC (ET1 Fleet Electronics Cal Lab, USS Holland
AS-32)
Old April 29th 05, 07:35 AM
John Smith

Pascals' syntax is structured with beauty/logic--the very language itself is
pseudo-code...
I love the brevity of text characters in "C", and the power and "brute
force"... but Pascal has beauty....

Regards,
John