Old April 28th 05, 08:54 PM
Jim Kelley

Reg Edwards wrote:

Balanced to Unbalanced WHAT ?

Isn't that rather like asking Modulated to Demodulated WHAT?

ac6xg

Old April 28th 05, 11:42 PM
Hal Rosser

but with isolation transformers - the primary and secondary windings are
**not** physically connected (hence 'isolation' transformer). Maybe call it
a 1-to-1 autotransformer. (with a choke). :-)

"John Smith" wrote in message
Think, "One-to-one isolation transformer."

Regards,
John

Old April 29th 05, 12:16 AM
Reg Edwards

"Reg Edwards" wrote -

Balanced to Unbalanced WHAT ?

"Balun" is a contraction of "Balanced to Unbalanced "TRANSFORMER".

What is the transformation ratio of the W2DU "balun" and other

devices
which serve a similar purpose? Between which pair of impedances

does
it provide a match?

If YOU cannot provide answers then there are many old-wives who can.

There is a program named BALCHOKE available free from my website.

=====================================

To all and sundry,

My prediction about old-wives was correct.

Anybody who provided a transformation ratio or mentioned matched
impedances can consider him or herself to be an Old Wife.

It would be a waste of time for me to explain to Old Wives how the
uncertain impedance and length of line on the choke, combined with the
unknown impedances of its supposed terminations, actually works.

The impedance transformation ratio is entirely INDETERMINATE.

But it doesn't matter two hoots provided the length of line on the
choke is within certain limits. Only the choking action on
longitudinal currents matters.

smile please
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old April 29th 05, 12:43 AM
John Smith

You are thinking power xfrmr, where an isolation xfrmr is isolating from
ground loops, or possibly even dc.
A 1:1 unun is isolating from rf, the "choke" is implied!

Regards,
John

Old April 29th 05, 12:53 AM
Mike Coslo

Reg Edwards wrote:
Balanced to Unbalanced WHAT ?

Balanced to unbalanced....Sir? 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 29th 05, 01:22 AM
Tom Donaly

Reg Edwards wrote:
[...]

What's a "longitudinal current?" Is there a "latitudinal current" for
it to be opposed to?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old April 29th 05, 01:29 AM
Dan Richardson

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:16:33 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Anybody who provided a transformation ratio or mentioned matched
impedances can consider him or herself to be an Old Wife.

There is NO REQUIREMENT WHATSOEVER that a balun provide a
transformation ratio.

To say otherwise is an old wive's ass.

Danny

Old April 29th 05, 07:49 AM
Reg Edwards

"John Smith" wrote
Think, "One-to-one isolation transformer."

============================

If it was a fixed 1-to-1 transformer and one end was terminated with
Zx, then the input impedance at the other end would also be fixed at
Zx.

But it isn't!

By no stretch of the imagination is it a fixed voltage or current
transformer of any sort.

By the way, a "Longitudinal current" is that which flows along the
feedline when both wires are considered to be one wire. ie., when
the wires are effectively connected in parallel with each other. It
is that current which is measured by a clamp-on ammeter when clamped
around both wires. The two wires can be coaxial or balanced-twin or
open-wires. I've temporarily forgotten what US citizens call it.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.

Old April 29th 05, 08:04 AM
John Smith

LOL!!! I will concede to your argument Reg!!!
But, "It sure seems to work like one!!!!" tongue-in-cheek,
and-only-now-and-then-sticking-between-the-lips

grin
Warmest regards,
John

Old April 29th 05, 08:31 AM
C.Aymon

Roy, many thanks for having so exhaustively answered to my question. I have
downloaded, printed and read your article: it was very enlightening.

Chris