RadioBanter

-   -   Are all these arguments revolving around a common point? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/70014-all-these-arguments-revolving-around-common-point.html)

John Smith May 2nd 05 05:49 PM

Reg:

Kinda like all that "air" in a bag of potato chips yer payin' for??? grin

Warmest regards,
John

Jim Kelley May 2nd 05 06:26 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

That time occurs is not all that arguable to me. Our measurements of
it is a modifiable thing tho'.

Try assuming that time doesn't exist and you are keeping track
of change referenced to the rotation of the earth on its axis
plus earth's orbit around the sun. What is different?

The units.

ac6xg

Jim Kelley May 2nd 05 06:51 PM

John Smith wrote:

What is "time?" If I trapped it in a bottle--what would I be looking at?

An old Jim Croce record?

ac6xg

Jim Kelley May 2nd 05 06:58 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:

Can you define "changes" without reference to time?

My dog cannot tell time but knows when to eat by the
changes in her feelings from not hungry to hungry. Time
is just an artifact of man's mental model of reality.
Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

ac6xg

Roger Conroy May 2nd 05 07:19 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Cecil Moore wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:

Can you define "changes" without reference to time?

My dog cannot tell time but knows when to eat by the
changes in her feelings from not hungry to hungry.

My cats know when I am coming home in the evening

Time
is just an artifact of man's mental model of reality.

Time is the description of the interval between happenings. Do all
things happen concurrently?

Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

That's hard to prove one way or the other.

- Mike KB3EIA -

- Mike KB3EIA -

You guys are ducking the question - Can you define "Changes" without
referring to time?
Your dog/cat/bat/goldfish/snake's ability to predict when it will be fed is
spurious.

73 Roger ZR3RC

Reg Edwards May 2nd 05 11:58 PM

Apparently, we live in a world of 4 dimensions.

x, y, z, j*t

Have I ever seen (not heard) t preceded, as above, by the square root
of minus 1?

If so, what special properties does j confer on t when applied to it?

Why should time be rotated through 90 degrees?

John Smith May 3rd 05 12:39 AM

Hmmm, what does "x" represent?
y, z, j?
I expect t = time?

Does this equation carry the mathematicians name?

How do I find reference of it?

My degree is NOT in math yanno!!! I only use math as a means to an end!

Mike Coslo May 3rd 05 01:49 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Time is the description of the interval between happenings. Do all
things happen concurrently?

I agree that time is the description of the interval between
happenings. What I don't accept is that time is some real
dimension existing completely independent of human concepts.

Well now, that is somewhat different. As for time itself being a
dimension, that is quite arguable. But even if that is the case, it
doesn't mean that time itself doesn't exist.

Did you ever wonder what the speed of gravity was?

Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

That's hard to prove one way or the other.

I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

But there are clocks *in* the fossil record.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo May 3rd 05 01:51 AM

Roger Conroy wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Cecil Moore wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:

Can you define "changes" without reference to time?

My dog cannot tell time but knows when to eat by the
changes in her feelings from not hungry to hungry.

My cats know when I am coming home in the evening

Time
is just an artifact of man's mental model of reality.

Time is the description of the interval between happenings. Do all
things happen concurrently?

Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

That's hard to prove one way or the other.

- Mike KB3EIA -

- Mike KB3EIA -

You guys are ducking the question - Can you define "Changes" without
referring to time?

I can't.

- Mike KB3EIA -

John Smith May 3rd 05 02:26 AM

Well, you are correct, we live in a universe where everything hasn't ALL
occured at once... and we have a "progression of events"... time is not a
"cause factor" of them, you want to argue it is an "effect of them", and
indeed--it even looks like that to me... (especially when I tap my red heels
together, close my eyes and repeat, "I want to go home! I want to go home!
Would take time ta git home, yanno! And, Toto wants to go to! grin)
And, a law of physics is "every action has an equal and opposite reaction",
so, I think it follows, we are still viewing the "reaction(s)" to the big
bang... with all events we are now viewing caused by its "action"; and, we
even live under the delusion these "reactions" are logical (obey "just" laws
of physics!!!!)

What worries me more, is when the universe becomes "static" (no free energy
yanno, one of those darn laws of physics, something is "spinning" all this
"stuff"--why would the universe be "perpetual motion? Well, unless 'God'
spins it!") what then?

Will you admit time would cease to exist then? And, why? Just because all
motion stopped? grin

But, "time" is not real.... (Alzheimers yanno--I forgot I already mentioned
that--sorry! grin)

Warmest regards,
John