RadioBanter

-   -   Reflector Vs Director (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/70696-reflector-vs-director.html)

[email protected] May 10th 05 05:17 PM

Reflector Vs Director

When modelling close spaced element antenma
assemblies it is possible that some elements are
physically longer than the "driven" element.
Is the length of a element sufficient enough to
declare that element a " reflector" or are there
other caveates involved.( i.e. phase)
As background to this question I would point
out that that it is possible to have two closed
spaced (positioned) elements one of which is
shorter and one of which is longer than
the "driven " element, this combination being
placed either forward or to the rear of the
"driven " element.
Regards
Art

Dave May 10th 05 10:56 PM

the length itself relative to the driven element length is not sufficient to
apply any particular label to an element of a parasitic antenna. it should
be noted that the terms 'director' and 'reflector' are not necessarily
scientific terms, they are more of a vague word description of how an
element apparently works based on the observation of the antenna pattern.
the real effect of each element of an antenna must be described by
describing the current magnitudes and phases and the physical location of
each element. a good example of this is a 2 element parasitic array, at one
frequency the parasitic element may be a 'director' and at another
frequency it could be described as a 'reflector'... without changing the
length of either the driven or parasitic element.

[email protected] May 11th 05 01:06 AM

Dave
I was hoping that the IEEE would have a definition upon
which I could hang my hat on. Hate to see another quabble
like we had with TOA!
In my particular case I have two elements coupled in such
a way that even tho only one is driven the other is also of
the same phase ie. additive, all other elements are longer
than the driven element which suggests multiple reflectors,
absent an accepted definition.
Regards
Art

Richard Harrison May 11th 05 03:10 PM

Art Unwin wrote:
"When modeling close spaced element antenna assemblies it is possible
that some elements are physically longer than the "driven" element. Is
the length of an element sufficient to declare a "reflector" or are
there other caveats involved (i.e. phase)?"

Art answered his own question. The element doesn`t care how it gets a
leading (capacitive) current, or a lagging (inductive) current.

In our broadcast curtain antenna arrays, we used an RCA WM-30A phase
monitor for the current angle in the ibnductive parasitic reflectors.
Phase was adjusted to spec with a short-circuit stub connected to where
the feedpoint would be if it were a driven element.

Kraus is unequivocal on page 245 of edition no. 3 of "Antennas":
"When the halfwave parasitic element is inductive (longer than its
resonant length) it acts as a reflector. When it is capacitive (shorter
than its resonant length) it acts as a director."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] May 11th 05 04:56 PM

Interesting.
One respondent says position is a factor and the
other says it is not according to Kraus ,who may
well have been directing his comments at a Yagi
model So I changed the feed point on my model,
which is not a Yagi, to other elements to see if
they lagging or leading.
Surprise !
Some of the other elements were resonant also
thus they could be fed in one or more places
at the same time
Since with the initial design they are not all
directly fed these apparently do not fall into any
catagory.
I suppose literature in general can only apply
definitions to that which is known by the author
at the particular time
Regards
Art

John Smith May 11th 05 05:21 PM

Well, everything stated may be true... but I have never seen a beam where
you would confuse the reflectors from the directors by physical size... if
in doubt and you wish to confirm this--just look up!

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

Cecil Moore May 11th 05 07:01 PM

John Smith wrote:

Well, everything stated may be true... but I have never seen a beam where
you would confuse the reflectors from the directors by physical size... if
in doubt and you wish to confirm this--just look up! Warmest regards, John

Given a beam with two identical driven elements, which is the
reflector and which is the director? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 11th 05 07:23 PM

Well Cecil:

You know me and my fondness for "tweaking" electrical lengths grin... I
suspect it is more than possible to have 'em the same length, and indeed,
you seen the folded 1 wave monopole I played with, it did exhibit side
"nulls."

Now, as to if the gain of the beam you point out is exactly equal or better,
I doubt--as opposed to one being longer/shorter director/reflector
(remember, I still ponder the ethers part in all of this--and NONE of our
formulas take it into account)... but besides all of this...

I JUST HAVEN'T SEEN ONE!!!!

And, you know I am a hopeless "Assumer"--I dare to assume if it were such a
great idea, I'd see a bunch---but then, I am open to a discovery here!!!

Come on Cecil, with so many after my scalp--I can't afford losing any hair
to you!!! grin

I gotta get some work done here--I am turning off message notification... I
will read/respond to your come-back later... grin

Warmest regards,
John
--

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
=----

[email protected] May 11th 05 07:39 PM

Seems to me Cecil that the terms "Reflector" and
"Director" are very poor words to describe antenna
elements for an HF array .
I have oft times changed a single element into two
closely coupled elements and where one is short
and one is long relative to a driven element
I wonder who was the first to assign these terms
Or was it a poor translation from Japanese ( Uda and Yagi) ?
Regards
Art

Asimov May 11th 05 09:34 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (11 May 05 09:21:00)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

It's all about the frequency, physical length, and spacing...

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30111

JS Well, everything stated may be true... but I have never seen a beam
JS where you would confuse the reflectors from the directors by physical
JS size... if in doubt and you wish to confirm this--just look up!

JS Warmest regards,
JS John
JS --
JS Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...
JS " wrote in
JS message news:u85ge.72716$c24.9252@attbi_s72...
JS | When modelling close spaced element antenma
JS | assemblies it is possible that some elements are
JS | physically longer than the "driven" element.
JS | Is the length of a element sufficient enough to
JS | declare that element a " reflector" or are there
JS | other caveates involved.( i.e. phase)
JS | As background to this question I would point
JS | out that that it is possible to have two closed
JS | spaced (positioned) elements one of which is
JS | shorter and one of which is longer than
JS | the "driven " element, this combination being
JS | placed either forward or to the rear of the
JS | "driven " element.
JS | Regards
JS | Art

.... There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Gene Fuller May 11th 05 10:14 PM

Art,

Think again about what you wrote.

"I have oft times changed a single element into two closely coupled
elements and where one is short and one is long relative to a driven
element."

Why would you mis-attribute your application of standard terminology to
a new experimental situation as a "poor translation"?

The appropriate terminology for the various elements is generally pretty
clear from the physical design and performance of a Yagi antenna. When
your experiments go beyond the original design you are on your own.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

[email protected] May 11th 05 11:26 PM

Exactly Gene.
This is why the thread asked for a "definition" first for director and
reflector.
As you are probably aware a yagi reflector does not reflect anything.
Some would say that a dish "reflects but not a element.
I am still a bit gun shy after the last episode where TOA was not
defined in the IEEE dictionary thus many feined knowledge on the subject.
I suspect tho that the nomenclature started with the Yagi and then
spread to other array design descriptions.
If however a Yagi reflector does actually "reflect" then your scolding
is correctly directed at me.Perhaps we should first look in a dictionary
for the word "reflector"
Regards
Art

John Smith May 11th 05 11:37 PM

If a yagi reflector, reflects nothing, what would account for the forward
gain of only a driven element and a "non-reflector?"

I am not asking to be a smartass, but looking for some evidence of the
ethers properties... (some might say I am looking for aliens? grin)

Warmest regards,
John

Cecil Moore May 12th 05 12:20 AM

wrote:
I wonder who was the first to assign these terms
Or was it a poor translation from Japanese ( Uda and Yagi) ?

Please note that John didn't mention Yagi's. He only
mentioned "beams". :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore May 12th 05 12:29 AM

wrote:
If however a Yagi reflector does actually "reflect" then your scolding
is correctly directed at me.Perhaps we should first look in a dictionary
for the word "reflector"

From the IEEE Dictionary: "reflector element - A parasitic element
located in a direction other than forward of the driven element
of an antenna intended to increase the directivity of the antenna
in the forward direction."

"director element - A parasitic element located forward of the
driven element of an antenna, intended to increase the directivity
of the antenna in the forward direction."

By this definition, a log-periodic has no reflectors and no
directors.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] May 12th 05 12:50 AM

Yes, I see that Cecil, but I suspect he is not a ham
and thus would not know the difference between
different arrays. But if he is really looking for "Aliens"
he may well be looking in the right direction but his LED's
have a skewed correct "reflector".
With respect to your two element example you stated that
they were both driven. When coupled correctly it is only
necessary to feed one element in an array and allow the
coupled element to be of similar phase and if possible
of a higher current flow to give you that 3 db additive
advantage . Plus single digit elevation angle for max gain
even tho the array is fed at 1 WL height.( 20 metres)
I could send you actual model details if it is of interest.
Or a photo if that interests you more.
Regards

Art

[email protected] May 12th 05 01:11 AM

Interesting Cecil. Not only does it rely only on position versus
the driven element but they use the term reflector
in the same breath as a parasitic device!
Presumably length is not a factor.
Mirror, Mirror on the wall now we will call you a parasite
depending who is looking at you
Just don't paint your antenna and use plenty of LED's so that
the shiny surfaces will reflect. I give up, there are to many
conflicting definitions.
In my case it would appear that I have one driver, six reflectors and one
parasitic driver, that should be explicit enough.
Thanks everybody for your help
Art

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
If however a Yagi reflector does actually "reflect" then your scolding
is correctly directed at me.Perhaps we should first look in a dictionary
for the word "reflector"

From the IEEE Dictionary: "reflector element - A parasitic element

John Smith May 12th 05 03:09 AM

Well, I am not as bad as those guy with their "photon projecting
antennas"--my antennas propagate a wave though a medium--for want of a
better word--I use ether to describe that medium... but, if anyone knows a
better name--I am open... grin

Warmest regards,
John
--

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark May 12th 05 05:55 AM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:09:12 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Well, I am not as bad as those guy with their "photon projecting
antennas"

Makes it infinitely easier to reckon which is the director or the
reflector - just look. If you see yourself holding the flashlight,
you are the director looking at the reflector.

Now for the real challenge:
What would you see if you looked into a conjugate mirror?

Hint(s): it won't matter much if you are holding a flashlight OR a
searchlight. No matter of semantics will change the perception
either. Nothing to close couple (you are close enough already). No
issue of size (as long as you can see the mirror frame - but having
said that, this will then turn the answer on the shape of the frame I
suppose). No impact will be discovered if there's another mirror
behind it. No one needs to worry about translation problems from
japanese. You won't find the answer in Kraus (or the IEEE dictionary
I suspect). Computation of gain comes with the answer (and in all
likelihood so will considerable error).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

[email protected] May 12th 05 05:56 AM

"John Smith" wrote in message
Well, I am not as bad as those guy with their "photon projecting
antennas"--my antennas propagate a wave though a medium-

Very good, An antena array is a collection of antennas all of which
transmit interferring waves that are both additive and interfering negatives
in the far field In other words just a collection of dipole radiators. which
is then
termed as an "array" which may or may not qualify as a "beam".
For a Yagi style antenna position is all important which is not necessarily
true
for all antenna arrays, especially those of non liear form.
.. In fact Uda and another guy wrote up the original design and
Yagi stepped in later to provide a translation into English .
For me I cannot see a relationship between positions of radiators other
than
with the Yagi and where the terms used suffered in the translation yet still
gave a
a mental picture that loosely matched a mirror or a reflector as an
explanation.
of how gain can occur. It would appear from the answers received
that a true definition has not yet been agreed upon that is all encompassing
in true electrical terms.
Cheers and beers
Art

better word--I use ether to describe that medium... but, if anyone knows
better name--I am open... grin

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

" wrote in
message
| Yes, I see that Cecil, but I suspect he is not a ham
| and thus would not know the difference between
| different arrays. But if he is really looking for "Aliens"
| he may well be looking in the right direction but his LED's
| have a skewed correct "reflector".
| With respect to your two element example you stated that
| they were both driven. When coupled correctly it is only
| necessary to feed one element in an array and allow the
| coupled element to be of similar phase and if possible
| of a higher current flow to give you that 3 db additive
| advantage . Plus single digit elevation angle for max gain
| even tho the array is fed at 1 WL height.( 20 metres)
| I could send you actual model details if it is of interest.
| Or a photo if that interests you more.
| Regards
|
| Art
|

| "Cecil Moore" wrote in message
| wrote:
| I wonder who was the first to assign these terms
| Or was it a poor translation from Japanese ( Uda and Yagi) ?
|
| Please note that John didn't mention Yagi's. He only
| mentioned "beams". :-)
| --
| 73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

120,000+

John Smith May 12th 05 06:25 AM

Oh yes, the important spacing--we agree on that alright (the rest too--I see
that physical/electrical length as important to--but "electrical length" and
"magnetic field shape" are related on an almost linear scale), but what is
"in" that "spacing"--now there is the nut of this... that "magnetic field"
is not a "proton projection" and my antenna does not "glow"--and that
"space" ain't no wire--or is it?

Warmest regards,
John

Richard Harrison May 12th 05 03:04 PM

John Smith wrote:
"Oh yes, the important spacing--"

Proximity determines induction in a parasiteic element. Far from an
energy source, the parasite captures little energy and re-radiates
little. The mutual impedance between elements is small when spacing is
large.

A parasite must be nearly resonant to become excited. Behavior is
similar to a reed in a resonant-reed frequency indicator. The resonant
reed is strongly excited. Other reeds are little excited at the wrong
frequency. An out of tune antenna element has its current impeded by
reactance. A resonant element has no reactance.

Detuning a parasitic element is slight if excitation is to be
maintained, but it is enough to make the element reflect or direct as
desired.

Magnetic fields are naturally produced around current-carrying
conductors and around displacement currents too. Electric and magnetic
force lines are mutually perpendicular. In space, the plane containing
crossed electric and magnetic lines is called the wave front. Travel
direction of the front is perpendicular to the crossed electric and
magnetic lines.

Wave theory accurately predicted radio behavior before anyone thought of
acceleration causing photon emissions.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Asimov May 12th 05 03:30 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (11 May 05 22:25:13)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

The only thing I know is that an antenna is a tricky compromise
between a myriad of physical constants that make it up. Simply
changing the dimensions of an element will affect the optimum spacing
for maximum gain. But then so too having maximum gain as a goal will
often reduce bandwidth. So some compromise to gain/bandwidth must be
made to have a real antenna at the end of the process. Many such
mutually defeating compromises must be juggled with to achieve this.
Then, as if this wasn't enough, one must add the interaction with the
environment, thinks like weather, proximity to objects, noise, etc.

A*s*i*m*o*v

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30174

JS Oh yes, the important spacing--we agree on that alright (the rest
JS too--I see that physical/electrical length as important to--but
JS "electrical length" and "magnetic field shape" are related on an
JS almost linear scale), but what is "in" that "spacing"--now there is
JS the nut of this... that "magnetic field" is not a "proton projection"
JS and my antenna does not "glow"--and that "space" ain't no wire--or is
JS it?

.... Children come from God. He can't stand the noise either.

John Smith May 12th 05 04:02 PM

If I lay two marbles on a flat sheet on a bed, and their spacing is close--I
take my finger and push one marble down into the material of the bed--so as
it deforms or "warps" the shape of the bedding, the other marble is "pulled"
towards it--if the two marbles are far apart--the second is unaffected...

If ether has a property similar to that bed, I can warp that ether and cause
objects to be affected--in relationship to their proximity to the "warp" I
am causing...

If I place a piece of paper over a magnet--gently sprinkle iron powder over
the paper--I see lines--claimed to be a "magnetic field"....

.... do you think these "lines" are photons (waves?)shooting from one end of
the magnet to the other (of course they would actually be lying outside the
metal of the magnet in a "static" state).... or is this iron powder a
"warping" of the ether I am looking at?

Warmest regards,
John

Jim Kelley May 12th 05 06:04 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
What would you see if you looked into a conjugate mirror?

You need to define the particular aspect being conjugated. For example,
the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed. In another
sense the object in the mirror moves synchronously with me as if it were
coupled to me. Any mirror exhibits conjugate behavior in some sense.
Perhaps you're alluding to phase conjugation - an interesting effect.

Hint(s): it won't matter much if you are holding a flashlight OR a
searchlight. No matter of semantics will change the perception
either. Nothing to close couple (you are close enough already). No
issue of size (as long as you can see the mirror frame - but having
said that, this will then turn the answer on the shape of the frame I
suppose). No impact will be discovered if there's another mirror
behind it. No one needs to worry about translation problems from
japanese. You won't find the answer in Kraus (or the IEEE dictionary
I suspect). Computation of gain comes with the answer (and in all
likelihood so will considerable error).

Effluvium for the sake of effluence, and vice versa.

ac6xg

Cecil Moore May 12th 05 08:01 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.

Hey Jim, if a mirror reverses left and right,
why doesn't it also reverse up and down? :-)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 12th 05 08:04 PM

Cecil:

That is easy, our eyes actually see an image which IS upside down... the
brain reverses this for us... when we look in the mirror--it stops the
reversal!!! Tricky dern thing!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
| Jim Kelley wrote:
| the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.
|
| Hey Jim, if a mirror reverses left and right,
| why doesn't it also reverse up and down? :-)
| --
| 73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Jim Kelley May 12th 05 08:52 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:

the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.

Hey Jim, if a mirror reverses left and right,
why doesn't it also reverse up and down? :-)

:-) Excellent.

ac6xg

Asimov May 12th 05 09:10 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (12 May 05 08:02:11)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30186

JS If I place a piece of paper over a magnet--gently sprinkle iron powder
JS over the paper--I see lines--claimed to be a "magnetic field"....

JS ... do you think these "lines" are photons (waves?)shooting from one
JS end of the magnet to the other (of course they would actually be lying
JS outside the metal of the magnet in a "static" state).... or is this
JS iron powder a "warping" of the ether I am looking at?

The lines are the after-effects of placing the iron powder in the path
of "virtual" photons. These are photons that exist too briefly to be
detected. Spacetime is not an empty vacuum but is a frothing of energy
and virtual particles of all kinds. The virtual photons responsible
for the observed permanent magnet's field travel only a small fraction
of a wavelength but their wavelength is almost infinite.
(i.e. c/F=3dinfinite, when F=3dzero).

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?" -George Carlin

John Smith May 12th 05 09:31 PM

Cecil:

It that mirror or yours working correctly? Did you try hanging it upside
down? You don't live below the equator do you? Cause, yanno, water spins
one way going down a drain in the northern, opposite in the
southern--somethin' 'bout gravity--or the warping of the ether... grin

Warmest regards,
John

Richard Clark May 12th 05 10:41 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:04:12 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

You need to define the particular aspect being conjugated. For example,

Hi Jim,

In fact I don't (which is the whole point of ANY characteristic being
conjugated) because it doesn't matter. There is no aspect (of what
you observe) that is without its conjugate being mirrored. However,
your presumption:
the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.

already disqualifies your answer.

The "effluvium" as you described it, was literally true, and
necessary. Being ignored, it has precipitated my projected
expectation:
... Computation of gain comes with the answer (and in all
likelihood so will considerable error).

The "effluvium" as you described it, was literally true as the
discussion (also anticipated) has been reduced to the frame of the
mirror (as so commonly happens in these threads) while abandoning the
substance of the conjugate mirror. This, of course, compounds the
observation above about the rapid descent into errant discussion.

Anyway, the original challenge:
What would you see if you looked into a conjugate mirror?
is meaningful within the context of the Subject line, but perhaps is a
bit too abstract (after all, it does require a knowledge of sight and
conjugation, not a simple coupling of experience). For those who
fear Shakespeare, there is only one three syllable word.

Someone may yet stumble on the answer. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

John Smith May 12th 05 10:49 PM

"John Smith wonders if Richard is really Shakespeare reincarnated--and, was
Shakespeare a Hindu, like Cecil?"

Warmest regards,
John

Cecil Moore May 13th 05 01:23 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
What would you see if you looked into a conjugate mirror?

Please specify the system.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 13th 05 01:46 AM

Richard:

I am confused... is "conjugate mirror" used in regards or "isogamic
copulation" or "orgasmic copulation"--and does this involve mirrors on the
ceiling?

If so, a younger guy(s) and/or gal(s) may be needed here... grin

And, really, I wondering if a definition can be given in mixed company!!!!

Warmest regards,
John

John Smith May 13th 05 02:16 AM

Asimov:

Then:

If I were shrunk to the size were an atom is the size of an orange and, I am
holding it in my hand--and I look over at the next closest atom, in the
block of lead I am standing in, and it appears to be about a football field
length away... and if we agree on the preceeding... I have a LOT of this
"free energy" and "virtual photons" in my body--correct?

Indeed, my antenna has a LOT of it, in its' metal, does it not? And, it is
swimming in it, is it not? And, if so, kinda strange no formula takes that
into account, right?

Warmest regards,
John

--

"Asimov" wrote in message
[...]

(i.e. c/F=infinite, when F=zero).

Richard Clark May 13th 05 06:58 AM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 17:46:17 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:
I am confused

This was not unexpected.

Richard Clark May 13th 05 06:59 AM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:23:55 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:
Please specify the system.

Further elaboration is unnecessary.

Cecil Moore May 13th 05 01:21 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Please specify the system.

Further elaboration is unnecessary.

OK, the answer is that if the conjugate mirror involves RF
waves, as it does in "Reflections", you would see nothing.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Asimov May 13th 05 03:27 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (12 May 05 18:16:40)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30219

JS Asimov:

JS Then:

JS If I were shrunk to the size were an atom is the size of an orange
JS and, I am holding it in my hand--and I look over at the next closest
JS atom, in the block of lead I am standing in, and it appears to be
JS about a football field length away... and if we agree on the
JS preceeding... I have a LOT of this "free energy" and "virtual photons"
JS in my body--correct?
JS Indeed, my antenna has a LOT of it, in its' metal, does it not? And,
JS it is swimming in it, is it not? And, if so, kinda strange no formula
JS takes that into account, right?

Yes there is but the average net result of this energy is always zero.
However, it can be detected as the Casimir Effect, Lamb Shift, and Van
de Waals Forces which arise from the random motions of electrons. Some
people have even described this effect as responsible for Dark Energy
or Zero Point Energy, Fermi Sea, Quantum Ocean, or whatever
descriptive term you like best. Some have speculated it is also
responsible for the observed accelerating expansion of the universe.

Some explanations--

Lamb Shift:

" The effect of virtual particles can be measured, and in fact won a
nobel prize for the physicist who did. the lamb shift is the shift
in the spectrum of an electron around a nucleus caused by virtual
particles swarming around it.
"

Casimir Effect:

"
The following comes from the Usenet Physics FAQ
(http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/faq.html) and includes some