Old May 16th 05, 03:37 AM

Default Could a Balun Be Useful Here?

I have a PC FM radio peripheral. It has a standard telescopic steel
aerial that plugs into a base. This works quite well.

However, I would like to recieve some signals that are too weak for
this arangement. I have an external TV yagi, but attaching it either
reduces the recieved signal or increases it only slightly.

Could impedence differences be an issue here? If so, what is the likely
impedence of the yagi and the peripheral?

Old May 18th 05, 04:00 AM

Buck wrote:

The Yagi is a beam typically of similar length elements which will
almost look like a rectangle when all the outside tips are connected
by a line. The log periodic will almost look like a triangle in the
same way. Each element considerably smaller and may be pointed
forward to form 'V' shaped elements.

Well then it would appear the antenna in question is probably a log
periodic then :-)

I will get myself a standard 75-300 ohm balun and see what I can do.

As for FM traps etc, no there's nothing like that. It's possible it's
not optimised for the FM band though, although it certainly is for
slightly higher VHF transmissions.

Parallel balun problem with wire loop loopfan Antenna 7 March 23rd 04 09:36 PM
Adding a 2:1 balun to a multi-band dipole Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) Antenna 4 February 5th 04 06:22 AM
Antenna Questions ASW Shortwave 26 December 8th 03 04:30 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? John Doty Shortwave 4 November 25th 03 12:29 PM
Balun Grounding Question ? Robert11 Antenna 6 November 23rd 03 09:39 PM