Old May 17th 05, 09:23 AM
Ian White GM3SEK

John Smith wrote:
... as a matter of fact, they are scanned from "copyright expired"
material...

If so, then I apologise. But...

He is correct about it being a voltage balun, which I believe is what you
first asked about, at least that is what the balun you referenced looked
like to me--I make mistakes and could have been mistaken... however, there
is also a post from me in this thead on the current balun you can use...
when you read my post on the quick-start on the differences for
voltage/current baluns you can decide for yourself--on what you need...
baluns are a very simple thing, don't know why so much mystery wants to end
up wrapped about 'em...

Might it possibly be because people persist in copying and
re-re-re-publishing old, incorrect information?

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old May 17th 05, 12:03 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear "John Smith"
The probability that you copied works that were not covered by copyright
is minuscule. For such a work not to be covered by copyright it would have
had to be declared in the public domain by the author or publisher.

Here is a link to the Copyright Office that provides some authoritative
information about low long copyright protection lasts:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc

Having expressed disdain for lawyers, it is unlikely that you are a
lawyer, whatever and whoever you are. The Patent Office lists three patent
attorneys with the name of John Smith. I doubt that you are one of them.

When you copy works that are almost surely copyrighted and provide no
attribution, you encourage persons with an interest in the works to track
you down. Not wise.

Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"John Smith" wrote in message
... as a matter of fact, they are scanned from "copyright expired"
material... I took the time to bring everyone up to speed on copyright
here... and even to know the difference between expired and not... for

some
strange reason some have difficulty dealing with this...

He is correct about it being a voltage balun, which I believe is what you
first asked about, at least that is what the balun you referenced looked
like to me--I make mistakes and could have been mistaken... however, there
is also a post from me in this thead on the current balun you can use...
when you read my post on the quick-start on the differences for
voltage/current baluns you can decide for yourself--on what you need...
baluns are a very simple thing, don't know why so much mystery wants to

end
up wrapped about 'em...

Warmest regards,
John

"Ian White GM3SEK" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
Here is a url to a page I put up--shows both a 1:1 and a 4:1
balun--winding diagrams are below each, respectively...

Don't bother to look - they are both voltage baluns.

(And the drawings have been scanned from someone else's copyright
material.)

Old May 17th 05, 02:18 PM
John Smith

Well, nice of you to worry about me copying, copyrighted work and suffering
a penality, but let me worry about that... and MOST technical docs have
fallen to public domain QUICKLY--especially this stuff which was cutting
edge technology--when my grandfather was a boy...

There is also "fair use", you may want to read up on it... since the
drawing I pasted here is less than a page (much less) it OBIVIOUSLY would
fall under this--and I would be covered yet again...

Most importantly is the necessity to get facts and info into the hands
needing it, in a form which they can understand--in a manner which does not
chase them off.. something I DON'T see happening here.

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 17th 05, 07:35 AM
John Smith

Current baluns:

If you have a ferrite rod from an old am radio, this guy shows you a cheap
1:1 balun:
http://www.arising.com.au/people/Hol...ph/CMBalun.htm

If you already have a toroid you wish to use, just wrap it the same, a
bifilar winding, with the two starting ends hooked to your coax connector,
other two ends to your antenna.

You will want the inductive reactance of the winding to be ~4X the impedance
of the coax (or antenna) at the lowest frequency of operation. This will be
computed using the al factor from the specific toroid core you have...

This works for me... and is a simple way to remember/do it... if others
have a simplier/better way--I am sure they will comment...

Warmest regards,
John

"Jayson Davis" wrote in message
I'd like to make a 1:1 balun, similar to what you'd buy from Van Gorden
Engineering. Anyone know of online designs/prints/instructions?

Thanks

Old May 17th 05, 07:19 AM
John Smith

This is a quick/short/sweet explaination to bring you up to speed quick!
http://home.datacomm.ch/hb9abx/currentbalun.htm

Old May 17th 05, 12:44 PM
Reg Edwards

I'd like to make a 1:1 balun,

===========================

Wind about a dozen turns of twin, stranded, 18 AWG,
clear-plastic-insulation, speaker cable (or similar) around a 2"
diameter ferrite ring. About 3/8" cross-section. Permeability 200 to
500.

And there you have it. Speaker cable is better than coax on both
mechanical and electrical grounds.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.

Old May 17th 05, 02:21 PM
John Smith

Ferrite ring? Now where would I ever find one of those--last guy told me to
buy all these dern toroids!!! grin

Good morning Reg!

Warmest regards,
John

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

I'd like to make a 1:1 balun,

===========================

Old May 17th 05, 03:18 PM
Reg Edwards

John, the trouble is at my end, caused by my nincompoop of a
dis-service provider.

If previous experience is any guide, it will take weeks to sort it
out. When it comes to managing Windows, OE and the Internet, I'm a
mere novice.

( The most important thing about ferrite rings is their size. You
can't get a dozen turns of speaker cable on 5/8" diameter rings. )
----
Reg.

==============================

Old May 18th 05, 03:47 AM
John Smith

Aye Reg:

And frequently, I push too much power thru too small a toroid (I like
"ferrite ring"--much better sound!).... but then, I kinda like 'em when they
are just warm to the touch--and I am so fond of the powered iron... but
frankly, do have better luck with ferrite--they forgive me much more
often... from posts I have read--others feel the same...

I am getting your emails now my friend, they are much welcomed here...
perhaps we can chat-up pascal now...

Old May 18th 05, 05:54 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
... but then, I kinda like 'em when they
are just warm to the touch--and I am so fond of the powered iron...

Does your powdered iron get warm very often?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Parallel balun problem with wire loop loopfan Antenna 7 March 23rd 04 09:36 PM
Adding a 2:1 balun to a multi-band dipole Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) Antenna 4 February 5th 04 06:22 AM
Antenna Questions ASW Shortwave 26 December 8th 03 04:30 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? John Doty Shortwave 4 November 25th 03 12:29 PM
Balun Grounding Question ? Robert11 Antenna 6 November 23rd 03 09:39 PM