RadioBanter

-   -   Biggest antenna ever constructed (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/71200-biggest-antenna-ever-constructed.html)

Chris May 18th 05 07:17 PM

Cecil Moore May 18th 05 07:55 PM

Fabian Kurz May 18th 05 07:56 PM

Jim Kelley May 18th 05 08:24 PM

harrogate2 May 18th 05 08:30 PM

Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

But as an 'effective' antenna what about that line of dishes on tracks
near Cambridge that ISTR is equivalent to a dish 3 miles across!

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

Dave Platt May 18th 05 08:40 PM

In article ,
harrogate2 wrote:

Ariceibo?

As a single antenna, probably.

But as an 'effective' antenna what about that line of dishes on tracks
near Cambridge that ISTR is equivalent to a dish 3 miles across!

Even bigger-effective-aperture telescope systems use very-long-
baseline interferometry to combine the signals from multiple receivers
spread out all across the planet, and even on satellites. There are
some VLBI systems using satellites in earth orbit, and I believe that
there are plans (or even systems in existence) which use satellites in
solar orbit.

The angular resolution you can get from these systems is sorta scary.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Roger Conroy May 18th 05 09:06 PM

"Chris" wrote in message
?

If you exclude various multi dish arrays then the biggest is Arecibo radio
telescope in Puerto Rico.

Thierry May 18th 05 10:40 PM

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m
ham : probably the low band beam used by JARL ?

73
Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Caveat Lector May 18th 05 10:54 PM

The Moon

Amateurs use it frequently as a passive reflector

Constructed about 4.5 billion years ago

Builder GØD

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Chris" wrote in message
?

Ham op May 18th 05 11:42 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:

The Moon

Amateurs use it frequently as a passive reflector

Constructed about 4.5 billion years ago

Builder GØD

God must have missed a design principle in electromagnetics. The moon is
a convex surface more suited to scattering than concave which is more
suited to focusing ... or is it the other way around?

Richard Clark May 19th 05 12:07 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:42:43 -0400, Ham op wrote:
The moon is
a convex surface more suited to scattering than concave which is more
suited to focusing

Aim for a big crater.

Wes Stewart May 19th 05 12:19 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:17:01 +0100, "Chris" wrote:

For a single antenna located at a single site, maybe NAA at Cutler,
Maine. I've seen this at it is awesome. WWVL was pretty awesome too.

However, some of the ELF stuff is much bigger. I heard that there was
(is) one on the UP of Michigan that is underground, so who knows how
big it might be. The tree huggers kept cutting down the poles that
supported the above ground versions.

If you're talking height then it's KVLY's tower. 2063', the tallest
manmade structure on the planet

http://www.kvlytv11.com/info_tower.html

Been there too.

Wes Stewart May 19th 05 02:13 AM

On 18 May 2005 17:50:20 -0700, "HAARP Microwave Beam"
wrote:

HAARP antennae?

go to http://haarp-microwave.tripod.com/haarp.html

to see what billions of money is going into this weapons program!

You're using the NY Times as a source with the word HAARP
"judiciously" inserted?

Bafflegab.

ml May 19th 05 02:23 AM

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

?

i think it was the array the military built for a super duper VLF
submarine communicator designed to go basically thru the earth

it has a truly amazing ammount of total antenna miles and the power is
even more amazing

forgot what it's called but if someone knows and u google it, really
cool story and pix abound

there are a few simular, but one in particular is much bigger then it's
siblings by order of magnatudes

Scott May 19th 05 03:11 AM

Negative. I worked at the "other" ELF site in WI. All the ELF antennas
were above ground. Each antenna was about 13 miles long. The ELF
transmitters shut down several months ago and the site equipment and
antennas are being removed.

Scott

Scott May 19th 05 03:14 AM

The ELF antennas in Michigan and Wisconsin were bigger than 70M. Each
was 13 miles long. Wisconsin had 2 antennas and the Michigan site had 3
antennas. The patterns were steerable electronically by changing the
current phases. Simple stuff. I used to work there.

Scott

Thierry wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

Chris wrote:

?

Ariceibo?

Scott May 19th 05 03:18 AM

It was called ELF (Extremely Low Frequency). Yes, lots of power but the
antennas were so short compared to a wavelength at the frequencies used,
and therefore pretty lossy, the ERP was about 4 Watts. But, it worked
splendidly. They pulled the plug on ELF a few months ago and are
dismantling it all...I used to work there in the 1990s and it was a very
interesting setup. How many people worldwide can say they have ELF
experience? ;)

Scott

ml wrote:

?

atec May 19th 05 04:13 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Fabian Kurz wrote:

Chris didn't write:

Biggest antenna ever constructed?

Maybe http://www.naic.edu/public/the_telescope.htm ?

Or maybe this one:

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

ac6xg

Pine Gap is one of the largest , 26 Dishes , but its a spook thing.

Richard Clark May 19th 05 04:18 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:19:58 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:17:01 +0100, "Chris" wrote:

For a single antenna located at a single site, maybe NAA at Cutler,
Maine. I've seen this at it is awesome. WWVL was pretty awesome too.

However, some of the ELF stuff is much bigger. I heard that there was
(is) one on the UP of Michigan that is underground, so who knows how
big it might be. The tree huggers kept cutting down the poles that
supported the above ground versions.

If you're talking height then it's KVLY's tower. 2063', the tallest
manmade structure on the planet

http://www.kvlytv11.com/info_tower.html

Been there too.

Hi Wes,

I've been here too:
http://eyeball.sabotage.org/jcrs-eyeball.htm

Which is only 30 miles or so up the road. The last image, scroll
right, shows the bird's eye view, but it is impossible to make out the
cabling (that follows in the last link below, a big power point file).

NLK 24.8KHz 192/250KW

from
http://amrad.org/pipermail/lf/2001q2/001051.html
The antenna at Jim Creek (a U.S. Navy LF communications site).

The size of this station was a revelation to me. The antenna consisted of ten copperweld cables
8,000 feet long strung across a narrow valley between two ridges 3,000 feet high. The centers of
these strands were connected to downleads that were brought together into a sort of transmission
line that carried them back to the transmitter building. The antenna was actually separated into two
halves, each excited by its own transmitter, so that in case of accident or the need for maintenance
the station could operate at half-power for a time. The transmitter building was a concrete box a
hundred feet or so square without windows and with access to the area of the transmitter itself only
by elevator from below. As befitted a station with a transmitter whose component sections were
mostly of the order of cubes ten feet on a side, the elevator was so big that we simply drove our
truck into it for the ride up to the operating level,
We spent two or three days setting up our equipment and erecting a whip antenna for receiving the
signal from Criggion. As the transmitter building was the only possible site for our gear in the
immediate vicinity, the whip was installed on the roof about fifty feet from the "lead-in" which
carried about 700 amperes of radio-frequency current. It was in setting up this
antenna that we discovered the falsity of the common statement that "r.f. doesn't shock; it simply
produces surface burns". This may be the truth for small quantities as high-frequency currents tend
to flow only on the surface of a conductor, but it fails by a wide margin to explain the behavior of
large currents at such a low frequency as Jim Creek's. Our rough calibration of the field strength near
the transmitter lead-in was as follows: a bit of metal up to five or six inches long (such as a
screwdriver or a pair of pliers) stings like a nettle; rubber gloves are a necessity for handling metal
objects a foot or two long; and touching a conductor five or six feet long can knock one down.

There are various descriptions of antenna, frequency, and power that
is undoubtedly due to mission changes over the years. I've seen Jim
Creek specified at a frequency as low as 18KHz with powers ranging
from hundreds of KW to 1 MW. It is hard to tell if those
specifications are for driven power or radiated power as antenna
efficiencies are decidedly lucky to break 50%.

The most recent top hat design is illustrated at:
http://www.aavso.org/aavso/meetings/...esent/howe.ppt
which in a rough description is composed of 12 spans with 12 down
leads (bus fed); with the top hat dimension of one square mile. From
rough calculations, feedpoint R appears to be on the order of 2 Ohms.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Wes Stewart May 19th 05 03:43 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:18:34 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

[...]

Here a similar (web)site for NAA:

http://web.elastic.org/~fche/mirrors...er-eyeball.htm

In the last image the shadows cast by the towers are easily visible.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but our radio club once had a
speaker who was a Navy Reservist who did a summer tour at NAA. He had
a slide show that was really interesting.

Of particular interst to me was the fact that (at that time anyway)
the top hat was "spring loaded" and allowed to move about under
ice/wind loading. The "springs" were massive concrete block weights
that rode up and down inclined tracks on the outer ring of towers.

One other interesting thing was that when they used FSK, the antenna
was retuned between mark and space.

Sarco May 19th 05 03:43 PM

"Chris" wrote in :

?

The Planet Earth.

M. J. Powell May 19th 05 06:01 PM

In message 42, Sarco
writes
"Chris" wrote in :

?

The Planet Earth.

The Sun.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Hal Rosser May 19th 05 08:16 PM

"Chris" wrote in message
?

the moon
as a reflector

Thierry May 19th 05 09:52 PM

"Scott" wrote in message
The ELF antennas in Michigan and Wisconsin were bigger than 70M. Each
was 13 miles long. Wisconsin had 2 antennas and the Michigan site had 3
antennas. The patterns were steerable electronically by changing the
current phases. Simple stuff. I used to work there.

For sure that any ELF system, due to the wavelengths used will be always
very loo-ong and the longest system.
In this context we can also speak about HFGW and space VLBI.
But speaking in term of HF and microwaves, Arecibo and DSN remains the
largest.
All depend on what frequency bands are concerned.

Thierry, ON4SKY

Scott

Thierry wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

Chris wrote:

?

Ariceibo?

Jim Kelley May 20th 05 12:51 AM

atec wrote:

Pine Gap is one of the largest , 26 Dishes , but its a spook thing.

Sounds like they collected the whole set!

ac6xg
Beware of the Antennaphobes

Scott May 20th 05 01:26 AM

Project Sanguine was the prototype built in the 50s or 60s in Clam Lake,
WI. Mothballed after the test transmitter was built. When the project
was rekindled in the 1980s, it was simply called Project ELF.

Scott

Bill wrote:
ml wrote:

?

Sarco May 20th 05 01:47 PM

"M. J. Powell" wrote in
:

In message 42, Sarco
writes
"Chris" wrote in :

?

The Planet Earth.

The Sun.

Mike

The Sun for transmission, and the earth for reception :)

Scott

[email protected] May 20th 05 07:48 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:30:50 GMT, "harrogate2"
wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--

Bigger maybe? -- http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/

atec May 21st 05 10:13 AM

Roger Conroy wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

?

If you exclude various multi dish arrays then the biggest is Arecibo radio
telescope in Puerto Rico.

I think you will find some vlf arrays which dwarf it.

Jack Linthicum May 21st 05 03:34 PM

Scott wrote:
Gotcha...that explains it. I personally thought HAARP was a neat
concept, especially for hams...man-made aurora!! :) Not sure if

they're
still doing research with it or not. Their website seems a bit

dated.
I copied their test transmission back in 1999 I think it was...pretty

nifty!

Scott
N0EDV

Art Deco wrote:

Scott wrote:

Huh?

Maybe we're all talking about different HAARPs. The HAARP I

thought was
being discussed is at http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

You are correct; the experiment has attracted every

end-of-the-world
gloom-and-doom conspiracist on the planet, especially on usenet.

One
well-known kook even claimed that HAARP was responsible for the

loss of
Columbia. Thus my comment that any thread with 'HAARP' in the

subject
line is from a kook (well, at least a 99% chance).

Scott

Art Deco wrote:

HAARP Microwave Beam wrote:

HAARP antennae?

go to http://haarp-microwave.tripod.com/haarp.html

to see what billions of money is going into this weapons program!

Note: using the acronym "HAARP" in a post subject line is an

automatic
kooksign.

This should indicate that HAARP is still in bsuiness as a scientific
operation. Given the, rather mild for a Haarp item, 'informed' and
'rational' responses I see on this and other newsgroups I would assume
they keep a very low profile and are not really outgoing or incoming.
The site cited (always wanted to say that) shows you pictures and gives
points of access for more information.

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ight_show.html

First Artificial Neon Sky Show Created
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 02 February 2005
02:12 pm ET

By shooting intense radio beams into the night sky, researchers created
a modest neon light show visible from the ground. The process is not
well understood, but scientists speculate it could one day be employed
to light a city or generate celestial advertisements.

Researchers with the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program
(HAARP) project in Alaska tickled the upper atmosphere to the extent
that it glowed with green speckles.

The speckles were sprinkled amid a natural display known as the aurora
borealis, or Northern Lights. The aurora occurs when electrons from a
cloud of hot gas, known as plasma, rain down from space and excite
molecules in the ionosphere, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) up.

The HAARP experiment involves acres of antennas and a 1 megawatt
generator. The scientists sent radio pulses skyward every 7.5 seconds,
explained team leader Todd Pederson of the Air Force Research
Laboratory.

"The radio waves travel up to the ionosphere, where they excite the
electrons in the plasma," Pederson told LiveScience. "These electrons
then collide with atmospheric gasses, which then give off light, as in
a neon tube."

Pederson and his colleagues missed the show, but they snapped images.

"We unfortunately were indoors watching the data on monitors during the
experiment and were busy scrambling trying to make sure the effects
were real and not some glitch with the equipment," he said. "We knew
right away it was something extraordinary to show up in real time on
the monitor against the natural aurora, but did not confirm that it
would have been visible to the naked eye until a day or two later when
we had a chance to calibrate the raw data."

The experiment is detailed in the Feb. 2 issue of the journal Nature.

The research could improve understanding of the aurora and also help
explain how the ionosphere adversely affects radio communications.

It is not yet clear if the aurora must already be active before an
artificial sky show can be induced, says Karl Ziemelis, chief physics
editor at the journal.

If no pre-existing aurora is required, Ziemelis said, "we are left with
the tantalizing (some would say disconcerting) possibility that such
radio-fuelled emissions could form the basis of a technology for urban
lighting, celestial advertising, and more."

Peter Hayes May 21st 05 07:47 PM

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

--

Peter

Wes Stewart May 21st 05 08:19 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:47:24 +0100, (Peter
Hayes) wrote:

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

Arecibo is steerable.

J. Mc Laughlin May 21st 05 09:36 PM

The last time I was there, the U. of Manchester's big antenna at Jodrell
Bank was "steerable." Perhaps you are thinking of another antenna.

Only the feed at Arecibo can be moved.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:47:24

snip

Wes Stewart May 21st 05 10:35 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:36:54 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

The last time I was there, the U. of Manchester's big antenna at Jodrell
Bank was "steerable." Perhaps you are thinking of another antenna.

No.

Only the feed at Arecibo can be moved.

Uh huh. But that moves the beam around. :)

A lot of satellite receivers use fixed reflectors with multiple feeds
to look at different satellites.

A lot of search and fire control radars also use "fixed" planar
antennas with electronic beam steering.

I submit that all of these are "steerable."

Regards,

Wes

J. Mc Laughlin May 21st 05 11:02 PM

Dear Mr. Wes Stewart:
I do not see anything in your last message that I disagree with.

I have seen the U. of Manchester's antenna move so as to move its beam.

73, Mac N8TT

Jack Linthicum May 22nd 05 05:36 PM

Dave Holford wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

According to an Alaskan local who is a friend of mine, HAARP has

almost
no funding anymore from DoD, the guards at the front gate spend

their
time watching cable TV. HAARP is turned on occasionally as a

teaching
facility for the Univ. of Alaska.

I recall reading a couple of magazine articles some years ago when

HAARP was
active; and in both of them the writers reported the gate was open

and there was
no one at the gate. I recall one of the writers wandered around until

he found
someone in a building who showed him around - there were some great

photos of the
'huge' antenna system.

Dave

It must be like that drive-in movie used in "Spies Like Us" or that dry
cleaners the 15,000 employees of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E". Tricky part
is covering up all the tire tracks the hundreds of employees make when
they drive through the snow. http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/cam.fcgi
This is a picture from the HAARP cam, all white, must be snowing. This
is a pro-Haarp site http://www.guerrillacampaign.com/Hugh.htm and the
power given is less than a megawatt, about what a small UHF TV station
might put out, the big ones do 2000 kW. and this is the best satellite
image from maps.google
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gakona...2400&t=k&hl=en

Jack Linthicum May 22nd 05 06:02 PM

Jack Linthicum wrote:
Dave Holford wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

This is a pretty chatty source from when it was still under
construction: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/haarpFactSheet.html

Me May 22nd 05 08:54 PM

Hayes) wrote:

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

Arecibo is steerable.

Actually it is slightly steerable...just over about 15 degrees of
vertical, and the antenna gain drops off, quickly as the the angle
leaves vertical. This is due to the movement of the Feed Horn
Assembly offcenter on its Trolly Wire Supports.

Me

Me May 22nd 05 08:57 PM

In article .com,
"Jack Linthicum" wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gakona...1238&spn=0.025
578,0.042400&t=k&hl=en

This is a pretty chatty source from when it was still under
construction: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/haarpFactSheet.html

News Flash....HAARP is still under construction...... as the final array
will not be finished and powered until 2006......

Me