Old May 24th 05, 08:05 PM
John Smith

Default Create .pdf files for free...

Many here seem to be hung up on .pdf files, adobes pdf creator is expensive.

Here is a utility which installs itself like a printer, all you do is choose
to print from any windows application, choose this printer driver and it
will "print" a .pdf file of any word, notepad, etc. And you end up with a
..pdf of the work in question...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right
before my eyes--in real time!

Old May 24th 05, 08:07 PM
John Smith

.... and it would help if I gave you the URL:
http://www.pdfpdf.com/pdf4free.html

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 24th 05, 08:28 PM
Tim Wescott

"John Smith" wrote in message

Many here seem to be hung up on .pdf files, adobes pdf creator is
expensive.

Here is a utility which installs itself like a printer, all you do is
choose to print from any windows application, choose this printer driver
and it will "print" a .pdf file of any word, notepad, etc. And you end up
with a .pdf of the work in question...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right
before my eyes--in real time!
Thirty year old technology--wasn't it amazing?

I use PDF Creator, and I like it. Same deal, just a different program...

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old May 24th 05, 08:28 PM
Tim Wescott

"John Smith" wrote in message

Many here seem to be hung up on .pdf files, adobes pdf creator is
expensive.

Here is a utility which installs itself like a printer, all you do is
choose to print from any windows application, choose this printer driver
and it will "print" a .pdf file of any word, notepad, etc. And you end up
with a .pdf of the work in question...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right
before my eyes--in real time!
Thirty year old technology--wasn't it amazing?

Same frigging oversight: http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old May 25th 05, 03:20 AM
Hal Rosser

I tried several myself, and settled on PDF Creator also - because the
resulting PDF files were generally smaller.
I use it to convert powerpoint presentations to PDF - and it works great.
The resulting PDF files are usually significantly smaller than the original
ppt files.

Old May 24th 05, 09:44 PM
Bob Bob

They tend to be based on Ghostscript, the almost GPL utility that
converts from postscript to raster, postscript to PDF etc. Very handy
and source code is available. From memory the "first" Windows
implementation also used "redmon", a printer port redirector. The idea
being that you used standard postscript driver and the output stream
normally destined for the printer was fed into the stdin on ghostscript.
The output can be set to all types of file or device types. If you go
this way it is worthwhile downloading Adobe's distiller PPD and using
that instead of a standard Windoze printer driver.

Ghostscript is used extensively in Linux to convert PS printer streams
to specific printer device types.

Pls be careful of the license provisions as it isnt quite open GPL. They
tend to leave older versions for almost unrestricted use but more recent
ones have rules of use. If of course you are a home/provate user it isnt
a problem.

Also keep in mind that the Adobe creator does a lot more than just
"distill" like the free versions do. Depends on your needs of course!

Cheers Bob

Old May 24th 05, 10:46 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Bob Bob wrote:

Pls be careful of the license provisions as it isnt quite open GPL. They
tend to leave older versions for almost unrestricted use but more recent
ones have rules of use. If of course you are a home/provate user it isnt
a problem.

Right... it'd the difference between the AFPL (formerly Alladin)
version, which is more up to date and has a more restrictive license,
and the GPL (formerly GNU) version. The AFPL license, for example,
forbids commercial (for-money) distribution.

AFPL GhostScript is currently at 8.51, GPL Ghostscript is at 8.15
(dates to last September).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 24th 05, 11:02 PM
John Smith

I am pretty sure you will want PDF4FREE once you become proficient and
experienced with .pdf files, it is NOT based on ghostscript--however, you
must have adobe acrobat installed... all you need is the single 600K+
pdf4free file... small, efficient, accurate...
1) download it
2) click on it to install it
3) reboot
4) print with it

Ghostscript is a most notable offering, and does quite well, however, with
very complex documents you will find slight to moderate errors are
encountered (this has to do with patents and rights held by adobe and is to
be expected.)

Also, transforming PDF to DOC or other format, or viewing in 3rd party .pdf
readers, will get "weird", sometimes, if the .pdf was created with the
Ghostscript .dll--I have never found this with pdf4free...

Only drawback is you MUST have windows 2000 or better... but then you should
anyway...

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 25th 05, 12:43 AM
Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:02:02 -0700, John Smith wrote:

Only drawback is you MUST have windows 2000 or better... but then you should
anyway...

I sure do. I've both Mandrake Linux and OS/2. Both are _better_ .

Jonesy
Old May 25th 05, 12:53 AM
John Smith

Well ya, in the way that a $50,000 casket is "better" than a $500 dollar
one, the occupant of either can't really enjoy that fact... makes ya wonder
who they build 'em for? ... those with guilty feelings, I suppose...

Slackware--the King of UNIX on a pc... Mandrake is for women, children and a
learning/training tool... grin ... but then, so is RedHat...

Warmest regards,
John