Old May 30th 05, 05:23 AM
wb5cys

Default Which wire to Use for Antenna

I am going to build an inverted V for 80 and 40 meters. I will be running
about 700 watts into it. What gauge wire should I use and should it be
stranded or solid core for best performance and power handling?

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

Old May 30th 05, 08:37 AM

It doesn't really matter much...Use whatever is thick enough
to stay up. 14 gauge is plenty. Solid is best overall, but
stranded is easier to work with, and survives kinks much
better. The only reason I call solid best, is I think in some
cases, stranded can cause BC-RFI problems when it gets
real old and starts to corrode.. May be a fluke, but my level
of bc-rfi keeps going up and up every year. This mainly
shows up on 160m receiving in my case...The only
explanation I can come up with is the deterioration of my
stranded antenna wire over time...I've heard of other cases
of this also...But.....Thats a long term deal....Overall, I use
whatever is handy, and 98% of the time, it happens to be
stranded. ..As far as power, it really doesn't matter, except
as far as resistance...You can run a KW into a magnet wire
dipole with no problems. #14 is plenty big enough...I've used
#12 on some antennas, and found it basically overkill...
Even #14 is hard to break and it's a good bit lighter than #12. MK

Old May 30th 05, 11:22 AM
KC1DI

On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:23:16 -0400, wb5cys wrote:

I am going to build an inverted V for 80 and 40 meters. I will be
running
about 700 watts into it. What gauge wire should I use and should it be
stranded or solid core for best performance and power handling?

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

Hi Cal,
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and you can buy a 500 foot spool of # 14 for
about 24 bucks. Thats what I use and it works quite well. get the
stranded type it's stronger.
73 Dave kc1di

Old May 30th 05, 02:27 PM
Cecil Moore

#14 (antenna and transmission line) handles my 500 watts
just fine with SWRs ranging up to about 12:1. At 50 ohms
and 700 watts, your feedpoint current is less than 4 amps.
Nothing has broken since I switched to stranded copperweld.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 30th 05, 03:00 PM
Reg Edwards

I am going to build an inverted V for 80 and 40 meters. I will be
running
about 700 watts into it. What gauge wire should I use and should it

be
stranded or solid core for best performance and power handling?

=================================

Use whatever wire gauge will support its own weight. For 1 Kwatt,
anywhere from 18 awg to 12 awg will do fine.

The RF loss in the wire is very slightly greater with the thinner
gauges, but not enough to be noticeable. In terms of signal strength
it is in terms of hundredths of a decibel.

I prefer solid core, ordinary magnet wire. The enamel covering is a
protection against attack from atmospheric polution. Wires last for
years and years in the British average sort of climate.

The so-called "stretch" in annealed, enamelled, copper wires is not
worth the trouble of mentioning. Just give the wire a good tug during
erection, you will feel it give an inch or so, and unless there's a
double hurricane it will remain the same length for ever afterwards.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old May 30th 05, 03:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
The so-called "stretch" in annealed, enamelled, copper wires is not
worth the trouble of mentioning.

Especially true for ladder-line users. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 30th 05, 06:19 PM
John Smith

Years and years ago, they used to make a heavy copper plated steel ant
wire, anyone remember it? It was great, took years of abuse, snow, ice
and high winds at a cabin of mine in the high sierras (11,500 ft
elevation) and, like a timex watch, kept on ticking...

Warmest regards,
John
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
The so-called "stretch" in annealed, enamelled, copper wires is not
worth the trouble of mentioning.

Especially true for ladder-line users. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Old May 30th 05, 07:13 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:19:30 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Copperweld(r), which is copper-clad steel wire (CCS), is still made
and sold by companies that sell "antenna" wire, the Wireman, Davis RF,
Radio Works and others...

The copper wire I get at Lowe's on 500 foot rolls is probably
different, but works fine.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 30th 05, 10:28 PM
Hal Rosser

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
Years and years ago, they used to make a heavy copper plated steel ant
wire, anyone remember it? It was great, took years of abuse, snow, ice
and high winds at a cabin of mine in the high sierras (11,500 ft
elevation) and, like a timex watch, kept on ticking...

Years ago (like about 2 yrs) and even today (like now)
Copperweld makes it.
I have some 300-ohm transmission line made from copperweld conductors.
Look into the belden catalog and anywhere you
see the "Copperweld" trademark uses copper-coated steel.

Old May 30th 05, 11:33 PM
John Smith

Hal:

Good to know they still produce a good product...
I have given up the finer wire here, strung very long ants using steel
fencing wire (like used in regards to chain link fence--or even large
dia stainless steel wire from welders outlets in rolls--but EXPENSIVE!)
run through 1/4"+ copper tubing these days--get all of at Lowe's or Home
Depot... something about pumping big watts into a thin wire which just
"itchs" my eccentricities... frown

Copper tubing can be had for scrap prices at a large recycling/metal
scrapping yard near you... sometimes a guy is even lucky enough to find
the steel wire to run through it for a few cents a pound!

In fact, many good aluminum/copper/stainless flats, rods, tubing, etc
can be found for antenna projects... yellow pages should provide anyone
with a source...

Warmest regards,
John

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message