RadioBanter

-   -   No Ground HF mobile antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/72398-no-ground-hf-mobile-antenna.html)

John June 7th 05 12:18 PM

No Ground HF mobile antenna

Hi,

Looking for any ideas or info on a 'No Ground' HF antenna to mount on a
motorhome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

John

Hal Rosser June 8th 05 05:30 AM

If the motor home isn't rolling down the road, try a quad :-)
If the motor home is rolling - better lower it at the underpasses.
OR one of those little magnetic loops.
-- and I think I recall someone on this group supporting something called a
Fractenna, which sounds "groundless" as well.

. com...

Richard Harrison June 8th 05 05:53 AM

John wrote:
"Looking for any ideas on a "No Ground" HF antenna to mount in a
motorhome."

John must want an antenna which needs no physical connection to the
earth. Any balanced antenna requires no physical connection to the
earth. Also, many unbalanced antennas have no physical connection to the
earth but use the motorhome as a ground return for the antenna.

How about a screwdriver HF mobile antenna?

A wire suspended above the motorhome can turn it into a loop antenna.
Phil Rand, W1DBM, now an SK, did this to his RV with good results which
were published in QST and one of the ARRL Antenna Compendiums. I don`t
remember which issues.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Fred W4JLE June 8th 05 05:12 PM

I knew there was some reason I liked you Hal...

. ..