RadioBanter

-   -   AEA Isoloop: Stepper Motor Repair (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/725-aea-isoloop-stepper-motor-repair.html)

Charles Wittnam November 8th 03 06:05 PM

AEA Isoloop: Stepper Motor Repair

I have an old AEA Isoloop that I bought 14 years ago. The stepper
motor that moves the large central tuning capacitor has gone to the great
antenna farm in the sky.
I am trying to find a replacement for it. ( After I hung a large wire
antenna system my XYL suddenly became nostalgic about the Isoloop). I do
not have any technical info about what motor is needed. I can probably
figure it out when I pull everything apart, but I wondered if anyone had
access to this information?

Charlie KD7HU

Dave VanHorn November 8th 03 09:32 PM

I am trying to find a replacement for it. ( After I hung a large wire
antenna system my XYL suddenly became nostalgic about the Isoloop). I do
not have any technical info about what motor is needed. I can probably
figure it out when I pull everything apart, but I wondered if anyone had
access to this information?

Check the winding resistance, and wether it's a bipolar (four wire) or
unipolar (more than four wires) If the replacement is mechanically fit, and
the same general resistance and scheme, you'll be fine.

Art Unwin KB9MZ November 9th 03 02:44 AM

Ouch ! I would have thought what you said was true...except
if he has the delux control unit then I would think that angle
displacement
would be extremely important. If you just have a std stepper motor
drive then aim for 200 steps per rev
Art

Dave VanHorn November 9th 03 03:59 AM

"Art Unwin KB9MZ" wrote in message
m...
Ouch ! I would have thought what you said was true...except
if he has the delux control unit then I would think that angle
displacement
would be extremely important. If you just have a std stepper motor
drive then aim for 200 steps per rev
Art

Ok, I wasn't aware they had two flavours.

You can tell the steps per rev by feeling the cogging with your fingers as
you turn the shaft.
Make a witness mark, and count the cogs over a revolution.

You won't find a 199 step/rev motor, so don't worry if you don't get exactly
200, it's still 200 if you're anywhere near.

Mikey November 9th 03 06:43 PM

Contact M2 (m-squared) Antennas; they actually manufactured the Isoloop for
AEA.

73,
Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.f., CA