Old November 9th 03, 03:09 AM
Old Ed

Default Force 12 and Hex-Beam

Hello -

Is there anyone out there who has owned or used BOTH
a Hex-Beam HX5Bi and a Force 12 C-3SS? If so, I'd
appreciate hearing any comments you might have.

The spec's on these two are very close on 10/15/20...
but I'm guessing that the C-3SS would be better on 20.
The HX5Bi would slaughter the C-3SS on 17 and 12,
of course--since the C-3SS isn't really designed to
cover those bands.

73, Ed

Old November 10th 03, 04:19 PM
Desmoface

"OK, I guess there are no dual users out there who care
to comment.

How about single users? Is there anyone who owns or has used
EITHER of these antennas who can provide some feedback?"

There, now I can comment hehe...I had the full size c3 and it was a very nice
antenna..tuned up nicely on 10-20, the tuner in me rig even tuned it on 40
meters, not sure how but it did..of course it didn't work very well on 40..

It's probably comparable to a 2 element yagi on 20 and 3 elelments on 10 and
15..if you look at the specific elements you'll probably see that it has 2 20
meter elements and three for the other bands..

That said, I had no complaints, it was kind of large but it had no traps so its
a trade off..I didn't want traps and the other antenna's that were trapless (at
the time) were pretty complex..I figured there would be more stuff to go
wrong..

If I was doing it again I'd probably consider the c3s or ideally I'd look at a
quad. The only problem I had with the triband quad designs was that they
didn't have a great way of feeding them with one feedline...ideally a quad
wants to have three seperate feedlines..but maybe someone in the group has
successfully done it with a single feedline?? I know cubex and lightning bolt
have a single feedline network that feeds all the elements...not sure how good
that works ??

Good luck..

Steve
kb8viv
Old November 13th 03, 02:06 AM
Old Ed

Thanks to all who responded to my question(s)!

73, Ed