Old June 26th 05, 08:58 PM

Default 2 greatest Antennas I have ever had

I have 2 antennas that I an very happy with. These are by far the best
preforming antennas I have ever owned.

The first is a 17 METER antenna unlike anything you have ever seen or
heard of before.

It is a 17 METER half wave dipole that is constructed in the shape of
the letter "C". I first saw this design in the former East German
sector about a year after the Berlin wall came down. I happened upon a
deserted East German military base that had this huge antenna farm. I
thought about it for a number of years and then began experimenting
with it...and came up with a real winned.

As I said, it is a half wave dipole that is constructed in the shape of
the letter "C". The vertical part of the letter "C" is 1/4 wave length
attached to a tree with couple screw-in ceramic standoff insulators I
got at Home Depot. The upper and lower horizontal parts of the letter
"C" and 1/8 wave length. You feed it in the middle of the vertical
part of the letter "C" with 50 ohm coax. It is a perfect 1 to 1 match.

Now, this is the IMPORTANT PART and the secret of it's success. YOU
MOUNT THE LOWER HORIZONTAL SECTION OF THE LETTER "C" SO THAT IT IS 24
INCHES OFF THE GROUND. This is extremely important because it give is
a very low angle or radiation.

ALSO IMPORTANT. Construct this antenna with the largest gauge of
stranded wire you can find. Go to the local hardware store and buy the
thickest stranded wire you can get. Or, you can also use 1/8 or 3/8
copper tubing. You want to have as much surface area as possible

OK, the SECOND GREAT ANTENNA that I have is a Windom. Now, don't
laugh, but this is the 10 thru 40 meter Windom THAT A GUY ON EBAY SELLS
FOR $20. I have the thing 35 feet in the air. Feed it directly with
50 ohm coax.

The guy down the street has a G5RV (about $75 or $85) at 50 feet and a
Force 12 vertical dipole (about $300) and it blows both of them away.
I work stuff that he can't even hear. We both have similar equipment.
And being in the same neighborhood, our locations are similar.

That Windom is the best $20 investment I ever made.

Bill Hansen

Old June 27th 05, 03:24 AM
Topaz305RK

Antennas are like military assignments - there are only two good ones: The
last one and the next one.

Just the way things are.

Old June 27th 05, 03:10 PM
Henry Kolesnik

How is the feedline dressed, paralleling the lower vertical half of the "C",
or extending horizontally and if so how long is the run. Also you didn't
state how close the 1/2 wave section was to the tree but I assume only
inches. Is the tree dead or live and do you notice any loss of radiation on
the shaded side vs. the open side?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
ups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 02:10 PM

Now, this is the IMPORTANT PART and the secret of it's success. YOU
MOUNT THE LOWER HORIZONTAL SECTION OF THE LETTER "C" SO THAT IT IS 24
INCHES OFF THE GROUND. This is extremely important because it give is
a very low angle or radiation.

I hope you don't believe this.... The *vertical* section provides the
low angle of radiation...All you are doing is running a perverted
center fed1/2 vertical...

ALSO IMPORTANT. Construct this antenna with the largest gauge of
stranded wire you can find. Go to the local hardware store and buy the
thickest stranded wire you can get. Or, you can also use 1/8 or 3/8
copper tubing. You want to have as much surface area as possible

I hope you don't believe this either....You could make that out of 18
gauge wire, and likely see little or no difference from copper tube..

I won't comment much on the last two "great" antennas..... Seems to
rile people up, when I provide negative feedback on their weapons
of choice...
MK