Old July 1st 05, 05:30 AM
Scott in Baltimore

But I specifically stated above the Z0 environment was different
from 50 ohms. The same type of error happens when one uses a
50 ohm SWR meter in a 75 ohm coaxial line.

If that were true then the mere existence of standing waves could
render any measurements worthless. Regardless, I did the experiment a
long time ago -- take a 50 ohm SWR meter and plug it into a 75 ohm
line -- it gives you almost the same measurement (in fact, I didn't
see -any- difference at all). Any small error you might see is, as I
said before, insignificant, especially considering the reason you are
measuring SWR in the first place. The objective is simply to get the
reading as low as practially possible. If you feel the need to quibble
about a couple tenths of a point on a ratio then maybe you're spending
a little too much time playing with the calculator instead of the
antenna.

I'm running RG-6 out to my 2 meter antenna. I put my cheap RS HF meter inline
to see what I'd read. I got my expected 1.5:1. Wattage read 1/2 of what the
radio is rated for. It gets out and I'm not worried about it.