Old November 12th 03, 10:00 PM
Dave VanHorn

"Sparks" wrote in message
It IS STORECASTING in ALL instances in Florida. It is 45 degrees.
You-All are missing the true fact in the USA, "Most" stations use dual
polorized antenni and a very large number use circular. Broadcast
Consultant

Ok, that makes some sense then, but what's the advantage of sitting the
antenna at 45 then?
It should work as well at any angle, as long as it's pointed the right way.

Old November 13th 03, 12:03 AM
Jack Twilley

Old November 13th 03, 07:40 AM
Dave VanHorn

Sitting the antenna at 45 degrees drops the level of vertically- and
horizontally-polarized noise 3db, I believe.

Sounds like a conservation of energy violation.
Assuming noise is randomly polarized. ..

I think something's still not clear here.

Old November 13th 03, 09:02 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Sounds like a conservation of energy violation.
Assuming noise is randomly polarized. ..

I think something's still not clear here.

You have to be more specific, what kind of noise, source, how far.
Then what it is attached to or radiated by. The "antennas" can add polarization
as well as propagation.
Noise can be point source, omnidirectional, omnipolarized, but also "massaged"
by the surroundings and "antennas" attached to it or in vicinity. Ever chased
power line noise along the power lines?

Yuri, K3BU
Old November 13th 03, 09:46 AM
Jack Twilley

Old November 13th 03, 02:19 PM
Sparks

Well..... The origional question was "What is the 45 degree antenni
seen on mostly commercial eating places ect. That has been answered.
I'm slowley recovering from a heart attack last week and will let the
antenna experts stomp through the grass with the why's, where fores, and
other "stuff" that can make interesting reading for a few weeks.
Regards, Sparks
Old November 13th 03, 02:57 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Jack Twilley" wrote in message

Sitting the antenna at 45 degrees drops the level of vertically- and
horizontally-polarized noise 3db, I believe.

Jack.
- --
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

Jack,

My original point was that if you drop the vertical and horizontal gains
each by 3 db, the sum gain is still 0 db.

BTW, people talk about Muzack in fast food restaurants. Never saw a fast
food restaurant with Muzack. It is something else.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 13th 03, 03:20 PM
Dave VanHorn

BTW, people talk about Muzack in fast food restaurants. Never saw a fast
food restaurant with Muzack. It is something else.

As a former Muzak installer, I can assure you, they do.

I'm still skeptical on the idea that most noise is either vertical or
horizontal, and that rotating an antenna 45 deg will cut both by 3dB

Also, this would be an FM service, where such noise would normally be
insignificant.