RadioBanter

-   -   Quad length ??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/746-quad-length.html)

Johnny V. Mullins November 12th 03 06:08 PM

Quad length ???

OK gang , I was sorta surprised at the different opinions and replies to my
question 'bout the correct balun for a
4 element 11 meter "quad" antenna.
I'm still gathering the materials needed, but I thought I'd toss this in,
for your opinions.
Now ..... how 'bout a few opinions on the correct length :-)

Now ...... be kind :-)

Johnny

Dave VanHorn November 12th 03 06:44 PM

Now ..... how 'bout a few opinions on the correct length :-)

Driven element, 1 wavelength.
Reflector, about 5% longer,
Directors, about 5% shorter.

Plenty of design stuff available on the web, just scale from the 20/40/10
meter frequency to 11 meters.

Johnny V. Mullins November 12th 03 07:19 PM

OOOOPS !! I should'a said "BOOM LENGTH ", I've got a calculator for the
elements, but seems there's
"give" and "take" in considering what boom length to use. i.e. .....
"gain", vs. "rejection"
A shorter boom would be more desirably for my installation.

It's also my understanding that a 4 element matches the 52 ohm coax better
than a shorter 3 element ??

Thanks

Johnny

W6DKN November 12th 03 09:09 PM

See http://www.softcom.net/users/kd6dks/quad.html

Dave VanHorn November 12th 03 10:01 PM

It's also my understanding that a 4 element matches the 52 ohm coax
better than a shorter 3 element ??

I wouln't expect that to be true, though for specific antennas it might be.
If both antennas are properly designed and built, no.