Old November 12th 03, 06:08 PM
Johnny V. Mullins

Default Quad length ???

OK gang , I was sorta surprised at the different opinions and replies to my
question 'bout the correct balun for a
4 element 11 meter "quad" antenna.
I'm still gathering the materials needed, but I thought I'd toss this in,
for your opinions.
Now ..... how 'bout a few opinions on the correct length :-)

Now ...... be kind :-)

Johnny

Old November 12th 03, 06:44 PM
Dave VanHorn

Now ..... how 'bout a few opinions on the correct length :-)

Driven element, 1 wavelength.
Reflector, about 5% longer,
Directors, about 5% shorter.

Plenty of design stuff available on the web, just scale from the 20/40/10
meter frequency to 11 meters.

Old November 12th 03, 07:19 PM
Johnny V. Mullins

OOOOPS !! I should'a said "BOOM LENGTH ", I've got a calculator for the
elements, but seems there's
"give" and "take" in considering what boom length to use. i.e. .....
"gain", vs. "rejection"
A shorter boom would be more desirably for my installation.

It's also my understanding that a 4 element matches the 52 ohm coax better
than a shorter 3 element ??

Thanks

Johnny

Old November 12th 03, 09:09 PM
W6DKN

See http://www.softcom.net/users/kd6dks/quad.html

Old November 12th 03, 10:01 PM
Dave VanHorn

It's also my understanding that a 4 element matches the 52 ohm coax
better than a shorter 3 element ??

I wouln't expect that to be true, though for specific antennas it might be.
If both antennas are properly designed and built, no.

FREE Quad HF antenna Portland OR area KS7J Antenna 0 October 26th 03 02:12 AM
Quad Loop Richard Antenna 3 October 3rd 03 09:50 PM
Length of Coax Affecting Incident Power to Meter? Dr. Slick Antenna 140 August 18th 03 08:17 PM
double sized quad antenna Brian Howie Antenna 1 August 14th 03 08:57 PM
Unequal length dipole arms Ron Antenna 9 July 12th 03 09:13 AM