Old July 22nd 05, 03:22 PM

Default loading coils for UHF

Hi All,

At 433 MHz UHF, I need to reduce the lenght of the dipole using loading
coils or a better method.

I need to know if there is a antenna program or a method to determine
values and location.

tnx de KJ4UO.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:23 PM
Fred W4JLE

And how much do you wish to shorten it? I know not many amateurs have room
for a full size 13.6" dipole.

oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 04:27 PM
John Smith

with maximum shortening by loading coils, it is possible mattel can
fit such an antenna on a doll house!

John

Old July 22nd 05, 04:48 PM

I would like to make it half-size.

Can I just take the full-size dipole and roll the extra copper into a
coil in the center?

de KJ4UO

Old July 22nd 05, 04:59 PM
John Smith

If you wind the helical coils with large spacing between turns--pretty
close...

The capacitance across the windings of the coils will be the most
notable effect, and will induce a need to shorten the electrical
length of the element conductors, keeping that capacitance to a
minimum may allow this need to be insignificant. If not, just trim
wire length a bit.

Best might be to set up with a "wand" which can be lengthened or
shortened a bit on each element which is so shortened by a coil.

John

oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 05:19 PM
Ham op

antenna that is already physically too short.

What do you really want to accomplish?

Old July 22nd 05, 05:29 PM
John Smith

I think he is "OBVIOUSLY" speaking of a physical shortening.

In that light, not only will your comments be confusing, but also of
no, or even a negative use...

John

an antenna that is already physically too short.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:45 PM
Reg Edwards

I would like to make it half-size.

Can I just take the full-size dipole and roll the extra copper into

coil in the center?

de KJ4UO

No you can't.

Program ADDALOAD calculates the value of a loading coil to resonate an
antenna wire of given length at any frequency. The location of the
coil as a fraction of length along the antenna wire can be chosen in
advance.

That's if it's possible of course. In some cases a loading capacitor
is needed.

You will need a coil in each half of the dipole.

Download in a few seconds program ADDALOAD from website below and run
immediately.
----
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to