Old July 25th 05, 06:02 AM
Hal Rosser

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hal Rosser wrote:
Ropes:== I tried using normal white nylon line (But Painting it black).
the paint makes it stronger and uv-resistant. And lasts longer.

I have around 500 feet of rope in use at the site and I am *not* gonna
paint 500 feet of rope!

Heh.

w3rv

I know what you mean - it would be tough to hang on the rope and keep from
falling and manage the paint bucket and the paint brush all at the same
time. :-)
- but I meant to paint the rope before you put it up. ;-)

Old July 25th 05, 06:09 AM
Roy Lewallen

Owen wrote:
. . .
Polypropylene is also resistant to mild acids (and alkalis), but it is
a slippery (greasy) rope that doesn't hold knots or splices as readily
as natural fibre ropes.

Polypropylene deteriorates rapidly from the UV in sunlight. Here in
western Oregon it'll last a couple of years before seriously weakening,
but in Denver (mile high and lots of sun) it turns to little more than
powder in about six months.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old July 26th 05, 11:47 PM
garigue

I have used rayon for years .....in fact I put rayon between the posts that
held my grape vines ....went by the old QTH yesterday and the grapes were
still up after almost 20 years .....

73 all de Tom Popovic KI3R