Old July 27th 05, 02:37 AM
John Smith

Q2VjaWw6DQoNCjxzdG9vcGlkLXB1enpsZWQtbG9vay1vbi1mYW NlPg0KDQpTb21lIGZvb2xzIHRy
eSB0byB1c2UgdGhlIGRhbW4gdGhpbmdzIGluIHBvd2VyIHN1cH BsaWVzISAgDQoNCk1hY2hvIG1l
biB3aGljaCB3YW50IGEgcmVhbCAidGFyemFuIiAodGhlIG9yaW dpbmFsIHN3aW5nZXIpIGluIHRo
ZWlyIHJhZGlvISAoYXJub2xkIHByb2JhYmx5IGhhcyBvbmUgaW 4gaGlzIGNvcmRsZXNzIHBob25l
cyBwb3dlciBzdXBwbHkpDQoNCkpvaG4NCg0KIkNlY2lsIE1vb3 JlIiA8dzVkeHBAaG90bWFpbC5j
b20+IHdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2UgbmV3czo0MmU2ZTBlYyQxXz FAc3Bvb2w5LXdlc3Quc3VwZXJm
ZWVkLm5ldC4uLg0KPiBIYW0gb3Agd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBXaGF0IG lzIHRoZSBwdXJwb3NlIG9mIGEg
J3N3aW5naW5nIGNob2tlJz8NCj4gDQo+IFRvIGdldCBpdCBjbG 9zZXIgdG8gdGhlIGFudGVubmEg
ZmVlZHBvaW50Pw0KPiAtLSANCj4gNzMsIENlY2lsICBodHRwOi 8vd3d3LnFzbC5uZXQvdzVkeHAN
Cj4gDQo+IC0tLS09PSBQb3N0ZWQgdmlhIE5ld3NmZWVkcy5Db2 0gLSBVbmxpbWl0ZWQtVW5jZW5z
b3JlZC1TZWN1cmUgVXNlbmV0IE5ld3M9PS0tLS0NCj4gaHR0cD ovL3d3dy5uZXdzZmVlZHMuY29t
IFRoZSAjMSBOZXdzZ3JvdXAgU2VydmljZSBpbiB0aGUgV29ybG QhIDEyMCwwMDArIE5ld3Nncm91
cHMNCj4gLS0tLT0gRWFzdCBhbmQgV2VzdC1Db2FzdCBTZXJ2ZX IgRmFybXMgLSBUb3RhbCBQcml2
YWN5IHZpYSBFbmNyeXB0aW9uID0tLS0t

Old July 27th 05, 04:09 AM
David G. Nagel

John;

Just what in the hell does your asinine comment on the President of the
United States have to do with questions on an Amateur Radio Test?

For what it's worth I would make the above statement if you were to
reference Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter.

Dave Nagel WD9BD

John Smith wrote:
David:

Even now, I would have to look at a diagram... however, once reviewed I could draw you one for a month or so, before again I would have to look...

That is difficult? Your question is as easy as any on that test!

Now if you asked me to draw you a picture of George Bush and make it realistic--I would fail forever--gawd, get a clue man if all you want to do is make the test difficult and allow artists licenses!

John

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message ...

Draw a Colpitts Oscillator

Dave WD9BDZ

John Smith wrote:

Ben:

Give us a couple of examples of what you think are difficult, relevant and appropriate questions, let us see how difficult you think this "rocket science" is, exactly?

Indeed, if there is something you are having a problem with, there are those here which can help you...

John

On 2005-07-25, wrote:

John, Why did you go to all that trouble? The test is so easy now a
"Cave Man" could pass them.

Actually I think they were dumbed down so a cave man could GRADE them.
That dictated multiple choice, and it's hard to make a tough multiple
choice test.

Of course what do I know? I'm just a cave man who passed the tests!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old July 27th 05, 04:11 AM
David G. Nagel

John;

The Colpitts and Hartley Oscillators are still current technology.

Dave WD9BDZ

John Smith wrote:

Ohhh, ask historical questions...

Well, this is the digital age, fat chance of those questions ever getting there again...

However, when the DMV starts asking questions on how to properly groom a horse--and what to do if the horse ever farts in public--you will know that world is ripe for such...

John

"Ham op" wrote in message ...

Copy 60 seconds of Morse Code by hand with no errors, corrections or
omissions.

What's the difference between a Colpitts oscillator and a Hartley
Oscillator? Draw schematics of both showing the differences.

What is the purpose of a 'swinging choke'?

Ah!! Those were the days ....n :-)

David G. Nagel wrote:

Draw a Colpitts Oscillator

Dave WD9BDZ

John Smith wrote:

Ben:

Give us a couple of examples of what you think are difficult, relevant
and appropriate questions, let us see how difficult you think this
"rocket science" is, exactly?

Indeed, if there is something you are having a problem with, there are
those here which can help you...

John

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
.. .

Old July 27th 05, 04:12 AM
David G. Nagel

John;

I'm starting to see a trend in your replies.

Dave WD9BDZ

John Smith wrote:

Cecil:

stoopid-puzzled-look-on-face

Some fools try to use the damn things in power supplies!

Macho men which want a real "tarzan" (the original swinger) in their radio! (arnold probably has one in his cordless phones power supply)

John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message ...

Ham op wrote:

What is the purpose of a 'swinging choke'?

To get it closer to the antenna feedpoint?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 27th 05, 04:12 AM
David G. Nagel

Fred;

Worked for me....

Dave WD9BDZ

Fred W4JLE wrote:

and label the frequency determining elements. At least that is how I
remember it...

Old July 27th 05, 04:14 AM
David G. Nagel

John;

No more comments from me.

Dave WD9BDZ

John Smith wrote:

label the frequency determining elements?

Why the xtal and any associated coil or cap used to "pull" the freq in the cmos oscillator... or the pin you take the signal out of on of the decade/hex/octal freq divider...

errr, oh wait, you are speaking of the ancient stuff from museums!
That is simple, the crystal (if present) and/or coil and cap...

hey, you didn't sneak a freq doubler in behind that osc, did ya?

geesh... any cber would know that, well, after he read it...

and you ain't sneaky and tryin' to run off a harmonic of that osc, are ya?

ROFLOL!!!!

John

Old July 27th 05, 12:42 PM
Ham op

Cecil Moore wrote:

Ham op wrote:

What is the purpose of a 'swinging choke'?

To get it closer to the antenna feedpoint?

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed long enough, at least as long as I
have, to know that a 'swinging choke' changes the center of percussion
on a baseball bat. It allows for a quicker swing. :-)

Now, if your antenna has a large capacitive component as part of it's
input ... then quite possibly a swinging choke might help.

But, if your HV power supply needs to limit inrush currents then ...

Old July 27th 05, 01:15 PM
Ham op

Ham op wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Ham op wrote:

What is the purpose of a 'swinging choke'?

To get it closer to the antenna feedpoint?

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed long enough, at least as long as I
have, to know that a 'swinging choke' changes the center of percussion
on a baseball bat. It allows for a quicker swing. :-)

Now, if your antenna has a large capacitive component as part of it's
input ... then quite possibly a swinging choke might help.

But, if your HV power supply needs to limit inrush currents then ...

Back to my comment. I was interrupted as my XYL was leaving for work.

Seriously, for the younger ham reader. The older AM transmitters, vacuum
tube type, required continuous plate current at rated power. It was
necessary to keep full plate current even in the absence of audio. A
swinging choke, one with an critical inductance value that changed as a
function of 'DC' current [variable reluctance] , as the first component
of a HV supply, simplified the requirements on the other components of
the HV filter circuit. Namely, the first input capacitor. High power HV
supplies were typically designed using a double 'L' filter, choke input.
The first choke provided better performance if it had a variable
reactance as a function of rectified current. The minimum value of
reactance [critical inductance] was a feature of the 'swinging choke'.

Ah!! The good old days. Radios were radios that worked all tv sets,
stereos systems, and am broadcast receivers. I ran a 6AG7/6L6 at 10
watts on 15 meters CW and worked ALL tv sets [ALL] within 1/2 mile. I
used a good quality DRAKE LP filter, a Pi network tuner, and had very
low harmonic output and still worked all TV sets.

Question to the younger crowd ... Why did I have TVI?

Cecil, you should not answer. But, I suspect you had the same
experience. Note: Cecil and I both have formal technical training.

Old July 27th 05, 02:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Ham op wrote:
Question to the younger crowd ... Why did I have TVI?

Cecil, you should not answer. But, I suspect you had the same
experience. Note: Cecil and I both have formal technical training.

Back around 1954, I put 600 feet of copperweld in the air,
fed by a modified ART-13 running 500 watts. The lights
in my room would dim during key down.

The closest TV transmitter was 90 miles away in Houston.
Madisonville, TX had no TV cable system at the time. When
I fired up, I wiped out TV reception for a good 100 square
miles. My parents took the ART-13 away from me, made me take
down the 600 ft. random wire, and go back to my 40w Globe
Scout and 40m dipole. :-(

I also came through rather distorted on a local church's
sound system. Some of the congregation thought that God
was speaking to them in an unknown tongue. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 27th 05, 05:53 PM
John Smith

Cecil:

Ahhh, the "control freak" parents, I remember that generation of parents
well--I had a fully functional set of them myself (frown.)

With me it was tesla coils. But same result, constant complaining from
citizens I share this ether with--about interference with tv, radios, guitar
amps, etc... Made me wonder how Nicola Tesla got his start?

It was when I started winding them of heavy gauge wire on carpet tubes (massive
varnished cardboard tubes used to roll up large rugs) and using banks of 15KV
neon sign transformers with humongous caps wound from yards of aluminum foil
and visqueen plastic sheet with spark gaps constructed from tungsten alloy to
withstand the punishment--that the real trouble began, fuses began blowing and
corona discharges yards long... that kind of "light show" and
"booming/snapping" of the sparkgap was difficult to cloak from sight.

I became addicted to the smell of ozone, more addictive than heroin to a "rf
nut!"

You and I are kindred spirits in our natural gift to be annoying without
trying...

Ham op wrote:
[...]

Newsgroups

Question pools and answers... John Smith Policy 3 July 26th 05 01:24 AM
FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM Avery Hightower Policy 196 July 30th 04 01:25 AM
New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra' N2EY Policy 310 April 19th 04 03:18 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM