Old July 27th 05, 06:39 PM
Ham op

Cecil Moore wrote:

SNIPPED

Back around 1954, I put 600 feet of copperweld in the air,
fed by a modified ART-13 running 500 watts. The lights
in my room would dim during key down.

The closest TV transmitter was 90 miles away in Houston.
Madisonville, TX had no TV cable system at the time. When
I fired up, I wiped out TV reception for a good 100 square
miles. My parents took the ART-13 away from me, made me take
down the 600 ft. random wire, and go back to my 40w Globe
Scout and 40m dipole. :-(

I also came through rather distorted on a local church's
sound system. Some of the congregation thought that God
was speaking to them in an unknown tongue. :-)

Today's newer breed of hams will never have such marvelous experiences.

Funny thing though, even though I earned the WATV interference award on
my first weekend it took almost two weeks to work my 'Elmer' across town!!

Old July 27th 05, 08:36 PM
Fred W4JLE

John, the digital age can come to an end in a heartbeat. An EMP pulse may
well wipe out the computers.

CW which requires nothing but the human mind to get data through will be
with us to the end of humanity.

As hams we need to be able to provide communications under the worst
imaginable scenario. I, and many of the hams on here could in short order
build a simple transmitter and receiver capable of CW operation and get a
message through. What if no one on the other end is capable of receiving the
message?

I guess you can ride like Paul Revere as your car will no longer run unless
you drive an old pre-computer model. The DMV may indeed be asking questions
as to what to do when your horse takes a dump in public.

I don't care if the FCC and the rest of the world makes stupid decisions, I
have no problems with anyone who enters amateur radio via slow/no code. My
objection is with sacrificing a skill that may be required to save lives and
property for the sake of increasing numbers.

Too bad a neat skill set was viewed as a determent...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Ohhh, ask historical questions...

Well, this is the digital age, fat chance of those questions ever getting

there again...

However, when the DMV starts asking questions on how to properly groom a

horse--and what to do if the horse ever farts in public--you will know that
world is ripe for such...

John

Old July 27th 05, 08:39 PM
Fred W4JLE

In a colpitts oscillator? It works the same if you use solid state or hollow
state.

"John Smith" wrote in message
label the frequency determining elements?

Why the xtal and any associated coil or cap used to "pull" the freq in the

cmos oscillator... or the pin you take the signal out of on of the
decade/hex/octal freq divider...

errr, oh wait, you are speaking of the ancient stuff from museums!
That is simple, the crystal (if present) and/or coil and cap...

hey, you didn't sneak a freq doubler in behind that osc, did ya?

geesh... any cber would know that, well, after he read it...

and you ain't sneaky and tryin' to run off a harmonic of that osc, are ya?

ROFLOL!!!!

John

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message

and label the frequency determining elements. At least that is how I
remember it...

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Draw a Colpitts Oscillator

Dave WD9BDZ

Old July 27th 05, 08:52 PM
Fred W4JLE

A buddy of mine and I had some buzzers that were used as signaling devices
on the city busses. We discovered that when we activated them they played
hell with an AM radio. We decided that if we hooked a bunch of wire to each
terminal of the buzzer contacts we might be able to send messages between
our houses. He lived four doors down. Armed with the buzzers and a couple of
Philco radios we were in business.

Seems we had rediscovered spark gap transmitters much to the consternation
of the neighbors. All went well until our neighbor six doors down, John
Cummings W8DSL, took umbrage to our mode of transmission. Seems he could
read code even better then we could and soon ferreted us out.

For a couple of ten year olds it was a lot of fun messing up Stella Dallas
et al that our moms listened to.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ham op wrote:
Question to the younger crowd ... Why did I have TVI?

Cecil, you should not answer. But, I suspect you had the same
experience. Note: Cecil and I both have formal technical training.

--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Old July 27th 05, 08:59 PM
John Smith

Fred:

I have nothing against those who wish to maintain ancient technology for when
the "madmax age" (I think I even look a bit like Mel Gibson--too bad the women
can't see the similarity!) arrives we will be prepared, I am just against
FORCING people to do this.

I am against requiring them in being proficient in sending smoke signals, shoot
arrows with messages attached, using carrier pidgeon or being able to pass
messages between villages by "african message drum" also, if we get there, we
will pick it up fast enough...

John

Old July 27th 05, 09:03 PM
John Smith

actually, it takes a bit of wave shaping to get that square, saw tooth or ramp
into a decent sinewave out of most of the digital signal sources osc's...

you don't need to start with a perfect sine being produced at the osc level...

John

Old July 27th 05, 10:50 PM
David G. Nagel

If you think back to the first Star Trek movie it took good old
fashioned Morse Code to communicate with "V'ger" (Voyager)

Dave N

Old July 27th 05, 10:58 PM
Fred W4JLE

John, no one has ever been "forced" to learn CW to become a ham. Everything
in life has a price of admission. You may choose to pay the price or not.

I have never heard of "press gangs" capturing people and forcing them to
learn CW.

Neither have I seen a movie titled "Two Years Before The Key"

Like I say, I don't have a dog in the code/nocode fight. I personally feel
that it is a necessary tool. YMMV

Old July 27th 05, 11:08 PM
John Smith

Fred:

There is no "price of admission" which needs be paid, the tests should reflect
a logical, necessary "instruction" for what a guy/gal will need to get a radio
and enter the hobby on level which is inline with his/her interests...

Morse has no place in this age, few will ever be interested in a key... if they
are, no one will stop them from picking one up.

Long live amateur radio, and long stay dead the key...

John

Old July 28th 05, 12:24 AM
Ham op

John Smith wrote:

SNIPPED

Long live amateur radio, and long stay dead the key...

John

John, I don't know if you do serious DX. But, I will witness that DX on
CW is a heck of a lot easier and faster than on SSB.

As long as there is 'exotic DX' CW will live.

Question pools and answers... John Smith Policy 3 July 26th 05 01:24 AM
FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM Avery Hightower Policy 196 July 30th 04 01:25 AM
New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra' N2EY Policy 310 April 19th 04 03:18 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM