Old July 29th 05, 03:15 AM
John Smith

Fred:

I disagree. Most of the problems we see in academia is that the mindset has
changed. Older personalities have quite some difficulty in coping with the new
generations, it has always been like that though, just more intense in this age
(but what isn't?)

The oldsters have a "control freak" attitude which the youngsters are not
properly trained to deal with, I think the parents used to take care of this,
and we in academia have failed the youngsters in not picking up as part of
their training and education, when the mothers left home for work.

And these new grads are a real and present danger to the oldsters, and we know
it. The corps know it to, they can have a handful of these new grads for what
one of us old farts demand for our "experience." (ancient historical knowledge)

I felt them a threat to, and the young guys with those new minds can come up
with new ideas with blazing speed. R&D ends up being a roomful of these guys
and one old guy keeping heard over their "enthusiasm."

The "generation gap" is wider than ever, and you need the "right guys" in
senior positions which can interact with the new minds. Truth is, if you are 55
these days, you'd better think about retiring--before you embarrass your self
or others about you...

The world is changing as much as when the cotton gin was invented--most of the
people back then died off without never being able to adapt to the "industrial
age." We are just seeing it happen all again, but many are unaware of this
history--and so end up repeating the same mistakes.

John

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Nonsense John, today's college graduate is more in line with the high school
graduates of the fifties. I hired enough of your "highly educated"
graduates to be more than a casual observer.

They knew every thing there was to know about political correctness, liberal
thinking, and how to bitch if they were not given everything on a platter
the day they hired in.

I assigned an engineer the task of designing a simple serial interface to a
piece of equipment. He told me "we didn't cover that in school". Today A's
are passed out to everyone, in some schools, so as not to make the others
feel bad.

Give me an old time ham or a Navy trained technician, at least they had the
basics. Many of today's graduates are over paid at minimum wage.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Fred:

Yes. But those were simple times when much of what we take for granted

today
loomed before us as dark mysteries...

Things are much more complex these days, BS, MS, PHD's are much more

common per
capita and the general knowledge of the common person on the street is
magnitudes greater than the times you are speaking of.

No longer are people with a bit of knowledge in such demand.

Our colleges turn out highly educated individuals in vast numbers which

stagger
the imagination. Indeed, seats in colleges are filled far too quickly,

leaving
no room for those not fortunate to gain entrance.

It is quite possible the person you see before you in a lowly public

service
position has a degree.

Across the board, +25% of all college grads are working at or near minimum

wage
in a field outside their course of study--five years after they graduate;

suspect this figure, which the colleges themselves claim, is rather low...

John

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
The same day I took the test for General, I also took and passed all
requirements for a first class Phone with RADAR endorsement. The

engineer
administering the test told me if I wanted to take a really tough test,

the
amateur extra was the most difficult given by the FCC.

Unfortunately at that time one had to wait a year to take advanced and

two
years to take the Extra. I would sure like to see them reinstate the

time
requirements so some of these young bucks could get a little seasoning
before advancing. Today you can get it all in one day. Then armed with

your
brand new Extra; proceed to E-Ham and ask questions in the Elmer

conference
that could be answered by an old time novice.

"Ham op" wrote in message

The required level of knowledge for a license today is significantly
poorer than 40 or 50 years ago.

Old July 29th 05, 03:53 AM
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:18:49 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

Okay, draw me a circuit of a Colpitts VCO. Why you apparently think
these are obsolete is beyond me. All sine wave oscillators, LC or
crystal, are basically the same circuit with the only variable being
the location of the rf common point.

A lot of modern high voltage supplies would be better off if they had
swinging chokes in them. My "modern" 8877 amp power supply uses a
resonant choke.
Old July 29th 05, 03:59 AM
John Smith

Wes:

Those osc are a thing of the past...

Bring a junk am broadcast radio near your computer, you will hear literal
dozens (well, a bunch anyway!) of osc's freqs going on there, probably not one
being generated by a colpitts, hartley or pierce osc circuit...
And, with the proper processing, all those waves could be a sine...

John

Old July 29th 05, 04:11 AM
Cecil Moore

Ham op wrote:
The crime in ham radio today is the 5 hour Saturday morning cram session ...

Would that be a felony or a misdemeanor?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 29th 05, 04:58 AM
John Smith

Cecil:

Would an anger management class, perhaps, be order for such an offense?

With the offender able to have all charges dismissed on successful completion
of the class?

Hate to see a fellow get a record for that...

John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ham op wrote:
The crime in ham radio today is the 5 hour Saturday morning cram session ...

Would that be a felony or a misdemeanor?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups

Old July 29th 05, 05:10 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-07-28, Fred W4JLE wrote:
Today you can get it all in one day. Then armed with your
brand new Extra; proceed to E-Ham and ask questions in the Elmer conference
that could be answered by an old time novice.

Don't be silly! The first thing any new ham learns on the internet
is that if you got your Extra after the 20wpm requirement was dropped,
your questions will meet with nothing but scorn and derision!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 29th 05, 05:21 AM
John Smith

Ben:

Be patient, we are in the process of upgrading all the elmers to no-coders now.
Give us time, this is a major upgrade and results cannot be expected
immediately.

John

Old July 29th 05, 10:24 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"results cannot be expected "

brilliant, absolutely brilliant

Old July 29th 05, 12:33 PM
Ham op

Class A felony, Life without parole.

Old July 29th 05, 12:36 PM
Ham op

John Smith wrote:

Ham op:

SNIPPED

I only work on the mikes, low pass/high pass/bandpass filters, linears and
feedlines, antennas, parts which are still big enough to handle...

SNIPPED

Well at my age, I only work on stuff I can see. That is limited by aging
shakes in my hands. But I can still find a screw driver somewhere, if I
can find my glasses.

This morning I couldn't get out of bed when I woke up. I couldn't find
the floor without my glasses. :-)

It's a shame yo get old!

Question pools and answers... John Smith Policy 3 July 26th 05 01:24 AM
FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM Avery Hightower Policy 196 July 30th 04 01:25 AM
New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra' N2EY Policy 310 April 19th 04 03:18 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 01:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM