Old July 29th 05, 04:50 PM
Caveat Lector

Bob Dylan song lyrics

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly changin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

The times is a changing -- Bob Dylan

--
CL -- A 20 wpm Extra since 1979

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Remember the golden rule!

"He who has the gold makes the rules" We old farts have it and the young
bucks want it, makes us right no matter what!

It is my intention to be a professional curmudgeon until I am looking at
the
grass from the bottom...

"John Smith" wrote in message
Fred:

I disagree. Most of the problems we see in academia is that the mindset

has
changed. Older personalities have quite some difficulty in coping with

the new
generations, it has always been like that though, just more intense in

this age
(but what isn't?)

Old July 29th 05, 04:59 PM
John Smith

Ham op:

I am in my 50's, age is becoming a bit of a problem here, I can extrapolate and
get some kind of a picture of it being a bit more of a problem for you then--if
you are older.

Your posts certainly don't reflect such limitations, although we may be "out of
sync" on some points, you pose good conversation.

Remember, when all is said and done, we must shake hands and have a drink
together...

John

"Ham op" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:

Ham op:
SNIPPED

I only work on the mikes, low pass/high pass/bandpass filters, linears and
feedlines, antennas, parts which are still big enough to handle...

SNIPPED

Well at my age, I only work on stuff I can see. That is limited by aging
shakes in my hands. But I can still find a screw driver somewhere, if I can
find my glasses.

This morning I couldn't get out of bed when I woke up. I couldn't find the
floor without my glasses. :-)

It's a shame yo get old!

Old July 29th 05, 05:08 PM
John Smith

Fred:

YOU HAVE SPIRIT MAN!!!

You have spirit!
chuckle

There is room for us, don't let 'em tell ya different--I am plotting to hang in
there too!!!

John

Old July 29th 05, 05:11 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Remember, when all is said and done, we must shake hands and have a drink
together...

Would that be in heaven or the other place? :-)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 29th 05, 05:14 PM
John Smith

Caveat:

Repeaters have always been as much fun for me as a phone line, and I end up
using a phone mainly for business. (the internet is great though--IRC chat, IM,
messengers, newsgroups, etc)

Standalone HF equip is just a whole 'nother world. Frankly, I am glad I have
found agreement in "newbie hams."

No one likes to be such a total freak there are none in agreement!

John

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Nope the FCC makes the rules
You can beat up on the new non-technical hams OR help them
The choice is yours.
In our area, we run a weekly 2M Ham Help net
Our repeater is open to any technical question, no matter how basic.
Periodic classes are conducted for Tech and General -- success rate is quite
high.

And many of our no-code Techs are very active in emergency communications, PR
communicators, field day, and many other useful avenues of ham radio. Quite a
number have advanced to General and Extra.

Old July 29th 05, 05:20 PM
John Smith

Cecil:

I'd just about bet, your first job/corp/supervisor felt just about the same
about you (me too for that matter), some of those old guys were great
though--they even managed to hide their disgust of our ignorance from us--but
they had better training back then!!!
innocent-look

John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Fred W4JLE wrote:
The mantra today is "I want it so give it to me!"

My dog is like that but I love her anyway. And it's typical
of most animal species. So shouldn't the blame lie instead
with the governmental bureaucrats who freely dole out the
welfare packages?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups

Old July 29th 05, 05:22 PM
John Smith

Caveat:

Only decent tubes (radio valves) which are still made are russian--aren't they?

John

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Thank you - curiosity satisfied.
Just curious as how often these are used today
I do know about colpitts, hartley, pierce, wien, clapp, TGTP, relaxation,
crystal, negative resistance, dynatron, etc
Anyone remember the dynatron oscillator? Tetrodes me lads tetrodes.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I ask

"Ham op" wrote in message
Caveat Lector wrote:

Just out of curousity -- what modern Ham gear uses a Colpitts oscillator or
a swinging choke ??

Then why ask these questions on a 2005 Ham test ??

Maybe ask about a VCO or a crowbar circuit ??

All of them!!! The reference oscillator in every phase locked loop is
generally a Colpitt's oscillator. I suspect that every oscillator in the
VCO circuit is also Colpitt's.

By simply asking the question you make the point!!!

The required level of knowledge for a license today is significantly poorer
than 40 or 50 years ago.

Old July 29th 05, 05:28 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
I'd just about bet, your first job/corp/supervisor felt just about the same
about you (me too for that matter), ...

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
So shouldn't the blame lie instead
with the governmental bureaucrats who freely dole out the
welfare packages?

Please note that I didn't utter a word about private
enterprise. I have never worked for a government.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 29th 05, 05:37 PM
Fred W4JLE

Nice reply that I have no problem with, however the conversation was about
current graduates of our institutions of higher learning. Nothing about
code/nocode or hams.

Old July 29th 05, 05:38 PM
John Smith

Wes:

By "master clock" (or bus clock), I take it the digital osc on my motherboard
running at 266Mhz and exists as chip with an in-house part number only, can't
really check.

I suspect it to be a UHF-high precision op amp with crystal controlled feedback
used as an osc, or a set of digital logic gates with osc established though
xtal feedback--either way, a square wave out.

John

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:59:49 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Wes:

Those osc are a thing of the past...

I beg to differ.

Bring a junk am broadcast radio near your computer, you will hear literal
dozens (well, a bunch anyway!) of osc's freqs going on there, probably not
one
being generated by a colpitts, hartley or pierce osc circuit...
And, with the proper processing, all those waves could be a sine...

In all likelyhood, the master clock oscillator for the microprocessor
is a Pierce xtal oscillator. All of the other garbage is derived from
that. There may also be plug-in cards with their own clock, most
likely another Pierce.

In case you've forgotten, these are -digital- circuits, sine waves
need not apply.

Why you guys think that the computer guys have invented some new
-magic- oscillator is beyond me. Wait a minute..... maybe I understand
after all.

Question pools and answers... John Smith Policy 3 July 26th 05 01:24 AM
FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM Avery Hightower Policy 196 July 30th 04 01:25 AM
New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra' N2EY Policy 310 April 19th 04 03:18 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM