Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 7th 05, 04:31 PM
Rick K2XT

Default Hazards of raised radials

Regarding the potential hazards involved in using raised radials on a
vertical - I'd be interested in comments from readers of this
newsgroup.

The antenna installation proposed is a vertical installed through the
roof of a building. For many reasons it would be preferable to keep
the radials inside the attic. My concern is possible danger due to
the high voltages incurred at the ends of the radials. The antenna
will be a SteppIR vertical for 40-10 meters with the base just under
the roof, protruding through the roof. At the base will be a number
of resonant radials fanning out throughout the attic. My concern is
if this poses a fire hazard due to arcing (corona, whatever) at the
ends of the radials. It may not be convenient to suspend the radials
over their entire length or provide high quality suspended insulators
at the wire ends. So what danger is there in letting radials lay on
the floor of the attic, attached to the roof rafters, or even poked
down inside the studs of the walls? I think we can assume the attic
will be dry, except for normal Seattle humidity !!

Rick K2XT

Ground radials -- the practicalities? news Antenna 76 January 12th 05 11:48 PM
Resonant and Non-resonant Radials Reg Edwards Antenna 1 January 8th 05 10:27 PM
hustler antenna Roger Adam Antenna 19 January 8th 05 07:55 PM
Having trouble laying your radials? Mike Coslo Policy 4 October 15th 04 10:02 PM
ground radials? Antenna 2 September 10th 03 10:55 AM