RadioBanter

-   -   80 meter loaded vertical versus 80 meter loaded dipole ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/76682-80-meter-loaded-vertical-versus-80-meter-loaded-dipole.html)

dansawyeror August 20th 05 01:21 AM

80 meter loaded vertical versus 80 meter loaded dipole ?

All,

I have been using an 80 meter loaded vertical for a couple of years with
moderate success. The ground system is a dozen 'untuned' radials 40 or so feet
laying on the ground. The feed line is about 100 feet of RG-8 coax. The SWR in
the shack is about 1.1 to 1.

I have done some research on the antenna and based on it parameters it should
have a radiation resistance of about 4 Ohms. This says that the coil and ground
are absorbing on the order of 45 Ohms. This is 10db performance loss.

I have limited space and the most common solutions are not available to me. From
a practical perspective it would seem to me that building a 40 foot center feed
loaded dipole and putting it in the attic or on the roof would probably perform
somewhat better.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

Would burying the radials and connecting them to several 4 square foot buried
screens substantially help the ground system?

Thanks,
Dan kb0qil

Frank August 20th 05 03:33 AM

[...]

How high is the antenna, where is the loading coil placed, what is its
value, and Q?

Frank

[email protected] August 20th 05 05:01 AM

I have limited space and the most common solutions are not available to
me. From
a practical perspective it would seem to me that building a 40 foot
center feed
loaded dipole and putting it in the attic or on the roof would probably
perform
somewhat better. ..............

Probably so for short/med haul. Will be a toss for long haul.
Even a semi lossy vertical can outdo a low dipole to dx if the
path is long enough. But for talking 200 miles away, the dipole
will blow the vertical away.
12 radials is not many for a ground mount. If you were to add
more radials or screen, I'd do it at the base of the antenna.
IE: add 50 10 ft radials for 500 ft of wire... Should be better
than a few full size radials. Some say screen can cause problems
after a while do to corrosion. I'd probably just stick with wire
radials myself... How far you want to talk on that band should
determine what antenna is best. For most general use within
1000 miles, I'd rather be on a dipole than a vertical.
But dx, I'd go vertical, and improve it. Loaded does not have
to mean crippled. But loading/short verticals do make the ground
system more critical. My mobile is better than my home dipole
late at night on 40m if I'm talking over 1000 miles away...
And if it ain't loaded, I dunno what is...What power it radiates
is at the perfect fairly low angle for that path/time of night.
BTW, I'd install the dipole outside if at all possible. Less noise
from the house, and will generally work better. Won't hurt it to
be close to the roof, unless metal is underneath to detune.
I've layed dipoles directly on composition shingles with no
problems at all. Or at least when dry anyway... But elevated a
bit would be better.
MK

chuck August 20th 05 03:07 PM

Hello Dan,

Some thoughts:

The 10 dB loss is, of course, referenced to a "perfect ground." Even
with a full length (quarter-wave) vertical and your ground system,
performance would improve by about 3 dB. Not a blockbuster.

Improving the radial system, as noted by others, is a more realistic
course. You ought to be able to get the ground resistance closer to 20
ohms with more radials close in. Then you will be only 6 dB worse than
if your ground were perfect.

Putting up an indoor dipole is cheap and quick. Put it up and compare it
with the vertical. But don't hold your breath. You will probably find
that with some paths, the dipole is better. you may want to keep both.

I assume you've ruled out a capacity hat, center loading, and a coil
with lower losses, as suggested by others. But with these changes and an
improved ground system, you might get a full (6 dB) S-unit improvement.

Good luck.

73,

Chuck

dansawyeror August 20th 05 06:34 PM

MK,

Thank you for your reply. I will defiantly try adding radials. It may be easier
to lay down screen mesh then 50 10 foot radials.

Have you measured the impedance of your mobile vertical? Is it a simple loaded
vertical or is there a matching network?

Thanks,
Dan kb0qil

Cecil Moore August 20th 05 07:34 PM

dansawyeror wrote:
I will defiantly try adding radials.

Who are you defying?

Allodoxaphobia August 20th 05 07:39 PM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:34:36 -0500, Cecil Moore wrote:
dansawyeror wrote:
I will defiantly try adding radials.

Who are you defying?

Lawn gnomes, probably.

dansawyeror August 20th 05 09:25 PM

Frank,

The coil measures about 60 uH. The antenna is elevated about 3 feet on a short
tripod. The radials angle down the tripod legs and then out.

The coil is about 4 inchs in diameter, number 12, wound on a fiberglass form. It
is centerloaded. I am looking at it accross the yard, it is about 6 inches long.
It is would with about a point .5 pitch. Calculations for a 1:1 pitch predict a
Q of about 450.

Thanks,
Dan

dansawyeror August 20th 05 09:47 PM

The local gardener who takes great pride and ownership in the lawn. The garage
can go mostly to seed, however the lawn must be pristine. Each antenna change
meets with great resistance. Although defiantly was definitely a spell checker
choice, it is also the correct one for getting radials.

Dan

Cecil Moore wrote:
dansawyeror wrote:

I will defiantly try adding radials.

Who are you defying?

News==----
Newsgroups

Tam/WB2TT August 22nd 05 02:23 AM

"dansawyeror" wrote in message
Frank,

The coil measures about 60 uH. The antenna is elevated about 3 feet on a
short tripod. The radials angle down the tripod legs and then out.

The coil is about 4 inchs in diameter, number 12, wound on a fiberglass
form. It is centerloaded. I am looking at it accross the yard, it is about
6 inches long. It is would with about a point .5 pitch. Calculations for a
1:1 pitch predict a Q of about 450.

Thanks,
Dan

Maybe I missed something, but how high is the TOP of the antenna. I.E. How
long is the whip? Is the loading coil at the base, or partway up the
antenna?

Tam/WB2TT

dansawyeror August 22nd 05 02:28 AM

Tam,

The description was for the coil.

The total antenna is about 15 feet base to tip. The coil is about 1/3 of the way
up. The base is about 3 feet off the ground so the tip would be about 18 feet up.

Dan

Tam/WB2TT August 22nd 05 04:25 AM

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
"dansawyeror" wrote in message

Frank,

The coil measures about 60 uH. The antenna is elevated about 3 feet on a
short tripod. The radials angle down the tripod legs and then out.

The coil is about 4 inchs in diameter, number 12, wound on a fiberglass
form. It is centerloaded. I am looking at it accross the yard, it is
about 6 inches long. It is would with about a point .5 pitch.
Calculations for a 1:1 pitch predict a Q of about 450.

Thanks,
Dan

Maybe I missed something, but how high is the TOP of the antenna. I.E.
How long is the whip? Is the loading coil at the base, or partway up the
antenna?

Tam/WB2TT

Dan,

Over perfect ground, I get an impedance of about 2.4 Ohms, with resonance
very close to 3.8 MHz. What is the tallest tree in your yard?

Tam

dansawyeror August 22nd 05 04:38 AM

Tam

That would relate very close to what the models predict. Where or how do you
have such good ground?

Dan

Roy Lewallen August 22nd 05 05:17 AM

dansawyeror wrote:
All,

I have been using an 80 meter loaded vertical for a couple of years with
moderate success. The ground system is a dozen 'untuned' radials 40 or
so feet laying on the ground. The feed line is about 100 feet of RG-8
coax. The SWR in the shack is about 1.1 to 1.

I have done some research on the antenna and based on it parameters it
should have a radiation resistance of about 4 Ohms. This says that the
coil and ground are absorbing on the order of 45 Ohms. This is 10db
performance loss.

I have limited space and the most common solutions are not available to
me. From a practical perspective it would seem to me that building a 40
foot center feed loaded dipole and putting it in the attic or on the
roof would probably perform somewhat better.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

I'm not sure you can count on that. You'd still lose some in a
matching/loading network, there'd be a lot of ground loss because of the
low height, and absorption of some of the power from conductors in the
house might occur. It wouldn't hurt to try, but leave your vertical up.

Would burying the radials and connecting them to several 4 square foot
buried screens substantially help the ground system?

Just about anything you can do to increase the conductivity of the
ground system, particularly close to the antenna, will help. Using
screen is one thing. Burying the radials won't help. Adding more radials
and making them longer will help. Unfortunately, making a few radials
longer doesn't do much, and adding a bunch of short radials doesn't do
much either -- you really have to do both to have a big effect. If
possible, connect to any other nearby buried conductors such as metallic
water pipes.

The other thing you can do to improve the efficiency is to increase the
radiation resistance of the antenna. You can do this of course by
increasing the height of the antenna. Moving the loading coil upward
will help, too, although you'll need more inductance. (The coil still
won't be a major part of the overall loss, though.) A top hat is better
yet. You can also increase the radiation resistance by making your
antenna fatter. Use multiple wires in parallel, spaced about as far as
you can, either along side each other, or fanned out, converging at the
bottom.

Finally, if you've got room, you can improve your overall efficiency by
about 3 dB by putting in another identical antenna/ground system
somewhere nearby and connecting the two in parallel.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Tam/WB2TT August 22nd 05 03:01 PM

"dansawyeror" wrote in message
Tam

That would relate very close to what the models predict. Where or how do
you have such good ground?

Dan

You don't. That is just the best case. If you can add another 20 feet of
wire to the top, and redo the inductor, the Z comes up to 16 Ohms. That's
why I asked about the trees.

Tam

Frank August 22nd 05 06:44 PM

Frank,

The coil measures about 60 uH. The antenna is elevated about 3 feet on a
short tripod. The radials angle down the tripod legs and then out.

The coil is about 4 inchs in diameter, number 12, wound on a fiberglass
form. It is centerloaded. I am looking at it accross the yard, it is about
6 inches long. It is would with about a point .5 pitch. Calculations for a
1:1 pitch predict a Q of about 450.

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. From your comments the radials appear to be
parallel with the tripod legs to ground level, and then continue at ground
level for the rest of their length. What is the angle of the tripod legs?
I agree with comments about adding a horizontal wire to the top of the
vertical; it will probably be easier than a capacity hat. I am overloaded
with work at the moment, but would like to attempt a model in a week or so
when I have less work.

73,

Frank

Roy Lewallen August 22nd 05 07:39 PM

Frank wrote:
. . .
I agree with comments about adding a horizontal wire to the top of the
vertical; it will probably be easier than a capacity hat. I am overloaded
with work at the moment, but would like to attempt a model in a week or so
when I have less work.

Take a look also at a tee type arrangement. That is, a horizontal wire
with the tip of the vertical connected at or near its center. It might
have some advantages over connecting the wire's end to the vertical. But
of course it might be more involved to construct.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Richard Harrison August 22nd 05 09:57 PM

Dan, KB0QIL wrote:
"From a practical perspective it would seem to me that building a 40
foot crnter loaded dipole and putting it in the sttic or on the roof
would probably perform somewhat better."

The roof or attic may be noisy receiving locations.

The ionospheric spot which effectively reflects a high frequency signal
to a point beyond the horizon is variable so that the received signal
direction varies from the true bearing of the transmitter, The received
signal elevation angle also varies from that predicted by the assumed
layer height for any given path length, and may change from instant to
instant.

The differences between predicted and actual azimuth and elevation
angles may at any momement be several degrees. These differences make
high frequency direction finding complicated, but results may be good
enough for some pracical purposes. Optimum vertical and horizontal
angles are sought in directional antenna design but enough beamwidth is
needed to accommodate
the angular variations which occur.

Over sea water, ground wave propagation is good and loss is low as
compared with propagation over earth. Frequencies up to about 5 MHz are
used for communications beyond the line of sight between ships and
between ships and shore. These frequencies are also used for tropical
broadcasting among islands.

For ionospheric reflection to near spots beyond the line of sight, near
vertical incidence reflections are used. The frequency must be below the
maximum usable frequency for vertical incidence at the transmitting
site.

For ground wave propagation a vertical transmitting antenna is used.

Horizontally polarized antennas are often used for sky wave signals
because reflection from the ionosphere makes equal strength components,
horizontally polarized and vertically polarized, from the incident wave,
regardless of its initial polarization.

Most disturbing noise is that generated within ground wave range of the
receiving antenna. It is vertically polarized.There is no ground wave
propagation of horizontally polarized waves. Thus, a horizontally
polarized receiving antenna ignores much of the available noise.
However, it receives as much signal from the sky wave as a vertically
polarized antenna would.

If a single antenna is to be used for both transmitting and receiving a
shy wave, a forizontally polarized antenna may be the better choice due
to its noise rejection. See "Radio Antenna Engineering" by Edmund A.
Laport for details.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Reg Edwards August 22nd 05 10:46 PM

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Dan, KB0QIL wrote:
[...]

================================

Richard,

I am impressed by your logical descriptions and explanations of
skywave and groundwave propagation. You are more than convincing. No
doubt reinforced from practical experience. It all makes sense.
Something much needed on these newsgroups.

I notice you do not treat the works of so-called 'experts' as bibles
but as a means of further study.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

dansawyeror August 23rd 05 03:07 AM

Roy,

Thanks. This might be feasible. The site would support 50 foot wire from the
tip. At 500 watts what would the current in the horizontal leg be? In other
words what is the minimum effective gage?

What is the purpose of this leg? Is it capacitive or does it begin to look like
something else. What are it directional characteristics? Dipoles nodes are
perpendicular while long wire nodes are parallel.

Dan

Roy Lewallen wrote:

. . .

Roy Lewallen August 23rd 05 05:27 AM

To determine the horizontal wire current, download the free EZNEC demo
from http://eznec.com. That's exactly the kind of thing it's good for.

If you put a single horizontal wire out to make an L shape, the wire
radiates a considerable amount. Being as low as it is, a lot of the
power will be dissipated in the ground, and only a small fraction will
be radiated at a low elevation angle. But if you connect to the center
of a horizontal wire to make a T shape, the fields from the two halves
of the horizontal wire will nearly cancel, so it'll radiate very little.
Its main effect, like a capacitive top hat, will be to even out the
current in your vertical wire, which will raise the radiation resistance
and therefore the efficiency.

EZNEC or a similar program will quickly show you the differences in
field strength in various directions for the antenna as it is, and with
either of the top loading configurations.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

dansawyeror wrote:
Roy,

Thanks. This might be feasible. The site would support 50 foot wire from
the tip. At 500 watts what would the current in the horizontal leg be?
In other words what is the minimum effective gage?

What is the purpose of this leg? Is it capacitive or does it begin to
look like something else. What are it directional characteristics?
Dipoles nodes are perpendicular while long wire nodes are parallel.

Dan

Roy Lewallen wrote:

. . .

[email protected] August 23rd 05 05:40 AM

There is no ground wave
propagation of horizontally polarized waves. Thus, a horizontally
polarized receiving antenna ignores much of the available noise.

There can be exceptions to this though. There is a horizontal "space
wave" and it can cause all kinds of noise problems. In fact, I have
had just as much noise problems with horizontal dipoles, as I have
with verticals. Much of the local noise here is power line noise.
The lines are horizontal in general, and do emit a horizontaly
polarized
space wave which can travel a fair piece. I've found at this qth,
polarization and noise don't always follow the expected norms.
I've had horizontal antennas that picked up horrible amounts of noise.
But....On the bright side...it does verify that they are working... :/

Here in the cement jungle, I think noise can be about any polarization
depending on the source. Some is vertical, but just as much is also
horizontal. Of course, being vertical can follow a true ground wave
type of propogation, I would expect vertical noise to travel farther
than horizontal if you exceeded the direct line of sight. MK

Fred W4JLE August 23rd 05 04:49 PM

I think Roy is referring to a T configuration rather than an upside-down L.
The currents will balance in the T so wire size is limited by physical
considerations rather than electrical. This is just another form of a
capacity hat. The net result is to raise the radiation resistance.

"dansawyeror" wrote in message
Roy,

Thanks. This might be feasible. The site would support 50 foot wire from

the
tip. At 500 watts what would the current in the horizontal leg be? In

other
words what is the minimum effective gage?

What is the purpose of this leg? Is it capacitive or does it begin to look

like
something else. What are it directional characteristics? Dipoles nodes are
perpendicular while long wire nodes are parallel.

Dan

Roy Lewallen wrote:

. . .

Roy Lewallen August 23rd 05 08:39 PM

Fred W4JLE wrote:
I think Roy is referring to a T configuration rather than an upside-down L.
The currents will balance in the T so wire size is limited by physical
considerations rather than electrical. This is just another form of a
capacity hat. The net result is to raise the radiation resistance.

In a tee type antenna, there will be considerable current at the
junction of the horizontal and vertical wires. While it's unlikely that
any wire strong enough to be used won't be able to handle the current
from a heating standpoint, it is possible that using a wire on the small
end of the range might result in noticeable loss. A quick run with a
modeling program would show whether or not that might happen with a
given set of dimensions.

One thing I should mention. If the horizontal portion is higher than
about 0.2 wavelength, MININEC-type ground can be used for modeling
either a T or L. The vertical wire is connected directly to ground, and
ground loss can be inserted at the base as a resistive load. If the
horizontal wire is much less than 0.2 wavelength high, the MININEC-type
ground can still be used with reasonable accuracy only for the T type
antenna. For an L type antenna where the horizontal wire is less than
0.2 wavelength high, a model has to use the High Accuracy ground model,
with the ground system modeled as radial wires just above the ground.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Richard Harrison August 23rd 05 10:55 PM

Mark Keith, NM5K wrote:
"I`ve had horizontal antennas that picked up horrible amounts of noise."

Yes, the protectection comes from noise beyond the line of sight range
but not so far away as to require aky wave propagation.

Propagation is a function of frequency. Below 100 KHz, gtound waves are
little affected by the earth`s attenuation and the sky wave is reflected
with little loss by the ionosphere. Waves travel up to 600 miles with
little perturbation from the time of day, season, or year, but at
greater distances, low frequency reception is better at night and in the
winter due to ionospheric changes affecting the reflected signal.. On a
yearly basis, signal strength over long distances correspond with the
11-year sunspot cycle. Low frequency signal strength changes only slowly
without rapid fades which characterize high frequency operation.

At frequencies above 100 KHz but below 535 KHz, ground wave attenuation
is greater than at frequencies below 100 KHz. Daytime ionospheric losses
are very high. Daytime ground wave propagation is better at the lower
end of this frequency range and over soil of higher conductivity.
Signals may extend to several hundred miles, where noise levels in the
receiving location are low. Nighttime transmission to distant points is
possible due to ionospheric reflection. Dependable daytime reception in
the 100 to 535 KHz range is bad due to lack of ionospheric propagation
and high attenuation of the ground wave especially at the higher
frequency end of this band over poorly conductive earth and during the
summer months when there may be thunder storms producing static eithin
ground wave range..

At frequencies between 535 KHz and 1600 KHz, only the ground wave is
useful in the daytime beyond the line of sight, as the sky wave is
completely absorbed. The higher the frequency in this range, and the
poorer the earrth`s conductivity,, the greater the attenuation of the
ground wave. High powered transmitters at the lower frequencies in this
range reach 50 to 100 miles over high conductivity soil. This may be
pessimistic. I listen 24 hours to 50 KW KKYX in San Antonio which is 200
miles to my west satisfactorily. It broadcasts on 680 KHz. My receivers
are quite ordinary and use internal loop antennas. The earth is highly
conductive but there is no sea water in the path. At night, other
stations
produce low frequency carrier beats with KKYX causing undesirable
automatic volume control action. but KKYX`s sky wave is stronger than
its groundwave and its reception is still acceptable.. Radio Havana is
one of its competitors. I hear all about "El Comandante" at times.

Sky wave goes far in the 535 to 1600 KHz band. During Hurricane Carla in
the 1960`s I listened to Dan Rather describe the storm blow by blow on
KTRH, Houston`s 50 KW outlet, from Tierra del Fuego where I was working,
and listening on a Hitachi pocket transistor portable radio with its
built in loop antenna. The path is about 6000 miles long but mostly over
the ocean. KTRH transmits on 740 KHz from the banks of Cedar Bayou. They
have a 4-tower directionnal array with a North-South bias. Reception was
good in Tierra fel Fuego as it is nearly at the Antarctic Circle and
there are no thunder storms there. It is too cold. Groundwave extends
hundreds of miles from KTRH, but not 6000 miles. My reception was shy
wave using several hops.. Broadcast transmitters concentrate energy
along the horizon so low elevation angles are favored.. This works well
for sky wave DX, especially over the ocean.

Sky wave attenuation in the 535 to 1600 KHz band is about the same
throughout the band, so nighttime coverage of broadcast stations in this
range is almost independent of frequency, while daytime ground waves
favor the lower frequencies. When I was a kid, I had a crystal set fixed
tuned to KTRH which directly drove a loudspeaker, if I could find a
sensitive spot on the galena. I lived almost in sight of the station.

At frequencies between 1600 KHz and 30 MHz, the ground wave attenuates
so rapidly as to be usseless except over very short distances.
Propagation is either line of sight or via ionospheric reflection or via
tropospheric scattering. Frequencies above 30 MHz are often used for
scattering ao that extremely high gain antennas are practical.
Scatterihg often uses brute force to extend the range of signals beyond
the line of sight.

Most long-distance short-wave communications result from ionnospheric
reflection. In the frequency range of 1600 KHz to 30 MH, a band of
frequencies can almost always be found that provides communications by
sky wave over a path between two points on earth.

The maximum usable frequency depends on the distance between the points
and ionospheric conditions. The minimum usable frequency depends on
ionospheric conditions, effective radiated power, and the noise level at
the receiver. Losses in the ionosphere increase with wavelength, so the
frequency which gives the best signal is usually the maximum usable
frequency. For communocations reliability, the maximum usable frequency
is often discounted by 15% to provide an "Optimum Working Frequency".

Daytime DX requires a high frequency. Shorter paths require lower
frequencies.

Typically 10 to 29 MHz during the day and 5 to 10 MHz, at night, are
best for transmission over transoceanic distances (thousands of miles).
Rember the Zenith portable? The best frequencies are usually higher
during the day for long paths than they are at night

Optimum frequency increases with the length of the path up to the
maximum distance for one-hop transmission, about 1200 to 2400 miles. Low
elevation-angle radiation such as 5 to 15 degrees is usually most
desirable. Radiation below an angle of about 3.5 degrees may be
absorbed by the earth near the transmitting antenna and wasted.

Frequencies above 30 MHz are usually not reflected by the ionosphere and
provide only sporadic sky wave communications.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

hasan schiers August 24th 05 01:32 AM

Now that is interesting, Roy. I was going to put up a 160 m inverted L this
summer. I am limited to only being able to go up about 45 feet, so I would
need about another 90 feet horizontal.

Are you suggesting that it might be a better arrangement to go up the 45'
and then put up the top "T"? If so, roughly how long should the top part of
the T be (each side of center) to get me to 160? I'm guessing it may not be
accomplished without some base loading...and that is what took me to the
Inverted L in the first place...direct coax feed, albeit not a particularly
good low angle radiator.

I am prepared to put down a radial field...but I want to stick with a simple
vertical wire, either extended horizontally as an Inverted L or as you
suggest, a T, if it can be done. I have about 100' either side of center
available to construct the top part of the T. In either case, the top
don't have 45' high supports for each end.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. I need to get something done before
winter!

73,

....hasan, N0AN

dansawyeror wrote:
Roy,

Thanks. This might be feasible. The site would support 50 foot wire from
the tip. At 500 watts what would the current in the horizontal leg be? In
other words what is the minimum effective gage?

What is the purpose of this leg? Is it capacitive or does it begin to
look like something else. What are it directional characteristics?
Dipoles nodes are perpendicular while long wire nodes are parallel.

Dan

Roy Lewallen wrote:

. . .

Jerry August 24th 05 04:49 PM

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
. . .
I agree with comments about adding a horizontal wire to the top of the
vertical; it will probably be easier than a capacity hat. I am
overloaded with work at the moment, but would like to attempt a model in
a week or so when I have less work.

Take a look also at a tee type arrangement. That is, a horizontal wire
with the tip of the vertical connected at or near its center. It might
have some advantages over connecting the wire's end to the vertical. But
of course it might be more involved to construct.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy,
I built basically a loaded mobile antenna that went onto an airport
building in Raleigh, NC (about 60 feet) I was reluctant to build it because
I was afraid the people that I made it for (CAP) might not know how to do
the elevated radials. I was afraid they might come back on me. I reckon I am
one of those "trial and error" hams that has tried about everything in the
last 40 years and I am still learning. Anyhoo, BOY was I WRONG! They put
the thing on the air and it really puts out a good signal! None of us have
done any measurements or NEC modeling, etc. Frankly, I was surprised as I
had done very few vertical installations (well, I've got an AV8 vertical
all-bander). All I know is, at the 60-70 foot level with tuned radials, it
really sings!

73

Jerry
K4KWH

Roy Lewallen August 25th 05 05:18 AM

hasan schiers wrote:
Now that is interesting, Roy. I was going to put up a 160 m inverted L this
summer. I am limited to only being able to go up about 45 feet, so I would
need about another 90 feet horizontal.

Are you suggesting that it might be a better arrangement to go up the 45'
and then put up the top "T"?

It might be. You might benefit from the radiation from the horizontal
portion of an L, and you might not. But if it's quite low, the radiation
will be mostly straight up, and a fair amount will be expended warming
up the ground. Neither will occur with a T.

If so, roughly how long should the top part of
the T be (each side of center) to get me to 160?

That's just what antenna modeling programs are for! Dust off your EZNEC
and you'll have the answer in minutes.

. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy Lewallen August 25th 05 05:44 AM

Jerry wrote:

[...]

I spend a lot of time learning about how antennas work, and try to pass
the information along as best I can. But I find over and over again that
most people don't have the ability to evaluate things in anything but a
binary fashion -- everything has to be "good" or "bad" (or "good" and
"evil"), "theory" or "experiment", "perfect" or "no good"; antennas
either "work" or "don't work". So what I say is often interpreted as a
statement that an antenna has to be perfect in order to work well, or to
"work" at all -- whatever that means. But that's not at all what I'm
saying. Let me try once again to clarify what I mean.

Just about anything will radiate, from a dummy load on up. But some
antennas radiate a greater fraction of the applied power than others,
and some radiate more in desired directions than others. What I try to
do is to understand how they work so I can, if I want, optimize an
antenna for a particular purpose. (And I don't necessarily always want
to -- sometimes it's not worth the trouble.) But an antenna doesn't have
to be optimum in order to talk to people. It doesn't even have to be
optimum to get sixty-over-nine reports and break pileups. And it doesn't
even have to be anywhere near optimum in order to provide you with many
pleasant QSOs. You don't have to understand anything at all about how
antennas work to put one up that will give you many hours of fine QSOs
-- I must have put up hundreds without having a clue about how they
really worked, and I worked plenty of stations. And I, like anyone else
who's been around a few years, have a handful of great stories about
some really crappy antenna that worked the rare DX. (I've even done it
with a crappy antenna and QRP.) What you have to understand is that you
can work *more* stations, more reliably, if you do take the time and
trouble (and if your yard and pocketbook will allow) to make your
antenna more efficient and make it concentrate its radiation in the
directions you want. But to a lot of people, it's not worth the time and
trouble -- and that's fine.

Some people simply aren't interested in the technical aspects of the
hobby, and would rather spend their time doing something other than
learning about or even modeling antennas. There's nothing at all wrong
with that. Those folks won't find many of my postings to be interesting,
and won't read them, which is fine. And, like I did for a long time,
they'll put up plenty of antennas that work well enough -- and even from
time to time one that works exceptionally well. But I hope my postings
will be useful to those people who are interested in learning more about
antennas and/or who enjoy squeezing more performance out of them. And I
learn from this, too!

Learning about antennas doesn't diminish your ability to experiment and
successfully create working antennas. What it does is to give you more
tools, so you can -- if you choose, but only if you choose -- make an
antenna do what you want, rather than putting it up and settling for
whatever it does.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

dansawyeror August 26th 05 03:15 AM

Roy,

Is there an EZNEC howto. I have tried to use the demo a few times and can't seem
to get started. I tried to model a simple dipole and a center loaded vertical
and got very lost.

Thanks,
Dan

Richard Clark August 26th 05 03:49 AM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:15:13 -0700, dansawyeror
wrote:

Is there an EZNEC howto. I have tried to use the demo a few times and can't seem
to get started. I tried to model a simple dipole and a center loaded vertical
and got very lost.

Hi Dan,

It would be far simpler to hit the "Open" button and select an already
existing example of an antenna and see where that goes.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Dan Richardson August 26th 05 03:57 AM

wrote:

Is there an EZNEC howto. I have tried to use the demo a few times and can't seem
to get started. I tried to model a simple dipole and a center loaded vertical
and got very lost.

Perchance have you happen to read the help file?

Hint; that information is there.

Danny, K6MHE

Roy Lewallen August 26th 05 05:15 AM

dansawyeror wrote:
Roy,

Is there an EZNEC howto. I have tried to use the demo a few times and
can't seem to get started. I tried to model a simple dipole and a center
loaded vertical and got very lost.

In the main window, click Help, then Contents. This is the EZNEC manual.
Read the Getting Started section, and go through the "Test Drive"
tutorial it directs you to. That should get you started.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] August 26th 05 05:15 AM

All I know is, at the 60-70 foot level with tuned radials, it
really sings!

They do. I've always preferred an elevated vs ground mount
vertical. At that height on 80m, you appx equal to a ground
mount system with 60+ radials, if they are using 3 or 4.
Also, more clear of surroundings, etc.. Your local ground/space
wave will usually be better. I bet it's good to dx at 2-3 AM...
I've also used the usual L's and T's on 160m. Like Roy mentioned,
which is better will depend on the angle needed. The T is better
for strict DX, but often the L can be better to regional stuff.
I'd have to double check, but I don't think adding the other
half of the "T" top really changes the resonant freq a whole lot
vs the L. IE: when using a "T", you will still need nearly a full 1/4
wave from the base to either end of the top horizontal section
if not loaded.
What can be handy for low banders, is nearly any dipole can be
loaded up as a T vertical, if you short the conductors. Doesn't
matter what type of feedline. Loading a 80m dipole as a T on
160m, is usually far better than trying to load the dipole as a
dipole...
If you don't short the feed together, but only feed one conductor,
you then have a quicky L...Thats one quick way to compare them on
different signals to see which is best at a given time. 160 is kinda
weird...Often an L will outdo a T early in the evening, but usually
later,
the T will be better, even on the same short paths. Would seem to
indicate the higher angles are less used later at night..
Sometimes I run a 80 meter turnstyle, and feed that as a vertical with
an "X" capacity hat... That made a pretty good vertical which usually
beat
the L late at night. BTW, the vertical part of both antennas are appx
40-45 ft or so.. So fairly equal in that regard.
MK

John Ferrell August 26th 05 02:27 PM

I bought EZNEC +,v4 and enrolled in the ARRL antenna course. With my
many years of experience (bad & good!) I knew it was unlikely I would
really get much out of either....

It has turned into one of the best educational bargains I have ever
encountered. I am less than halfway through the course and find my
biggest problem is that I keep running off in all directions to check
out my past antenna failures.

My wounded ego is healing nicely and I am satisfied that I am no
antenna expert. I am a perpetual antenna student!

Roy Lewallen August 26th 05 07:18 PM

John Ferrell wrote:
. . .
I am a perpetual antenna student!