Old August 31st 05, 12:36 AM
Reg Edwards

That should have been more radials DECREASE the bandwidth.
Sorry,

====================================

It may be considered by some that a decrease in bandwidth is a
disadvantage. What really matters is that more radials result in an
improvement in power radiating EFFICIENCY.

Albeit with a diminishing rate of return.

In ordinary garden soil, first lay about 3 or 4 shallow buried radials
and test the results using the receiver S-meter.

Then increase the number of radials by 50 percent and look for an
improvent. If there is no measurable improvement then, to be certain,
increase the number of radials by another 50 percent.

Keep increasing number of radials until there is no improvement and
then do a final increase of 20 or 30 percent. Even with very poor
garden soil, in all probability you will not exceed 20 or 30 radials.

Just ignore the ridiculous instructions in the handbooks and
magazines, and from old-wives, to lay the magic number of 120 radials
at the outset.

Due to reciprocity, any improvement on receive, as indicated by your
S-meter, will be exactly followed by the same improvement on transmit.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old August 30th 05, 10:19 PM
Hal Rosser

Like someone else said - instead of a trencher, why not try a edger.
You can buy an electric edger and a long extension cord cheap enough -
probably cheaper than renting a trencher.
I heard one person say he just purchared a new chain for his chainsaw - and
used the old chain to make the trenches for radials.
Another thought - don't do radials at all - hire a front-end-loader to bury
a few chain-link fence sections and tie ground to them.

Be sure to grunt like the tool-man when installing the radial system - its a
tradition.

Old September 1st 05, 08:24 AM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:19:51 -0400, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

Like someone else said - instead of a trencher, why not try a edger.
You can buy an electric edger and a long extension cord cheap enough -
probably cheaper than renting a trencher.
I heard one person say he just purchared a new chain for his chainsaw - and
used the old chain to make the trenches for radials.

Great way to destroy the bar slot before installing the new
chain.

Old September 2nd 05, 05:05 AM
Hal Rosser

wrote:

Like someone else said - instead of a trencher, why not try a edger.
You can buy an electric edger and a long extension cord cheap enough -
probably cheaper than renting a trencher.
I heard one person say he just purchared a new chain for his chainsaw -

and
used the old chain to make the trenches for radials.

Great way to destroy the bar slot before installing the new
chain.

I never tried it myself, but you're right - might need to buy a bar too.

Old September 2nd 05, 03:50 PM
Harold Burton

wrote:

Like someone else said - instead of a trencher, why not try a edger.
You can buy an electric edger and a long extension cord cheap enough -
probably cheaper than renting a trencher.
I heard one person say he just purchared a new chain for his chainsaw -

and
used the old chain to make the trenches for radials.

Great way to destroy the bar slot before installing the new
chain.

I never tried it myself, but you're right - might need to buy a bar too.

I had occasion to replace a 150 foot run of wire to a well a year or so
back. After discovering how shallow the original wiring had been planted, I
was able to duplicate the
run burial by using a sharpshooter spade, it took less than two hours. I
just pushed the spade into the ground and levered open a shallow slot. That
worktime included protecting the new wiring with PVC pipe where it ran
across a pair of gravel trailer parking pads. I realize a really effective
radial system would probably involve more wire than that, but you'd probably
want to do it in short work sessions anyway.

Harold
KD5SAK

Old September 1st 05, 06:05 PM
Ro

Paul Hinman wrote:
I came across an interesting antenna the other day on the web. It
called for four radials for each band that one would want to use it on.
In order to protect the lawn mower I would like to bury the radials. If
I use insulated wires for the radials can I bury multiple radials for
different frequencies in the same trench. I would rent a small trencher
like they use for underground power and utility feeds, make four
trenches and drop in the radials, then cover them.

Thanx for any responses.

Paul VE6LDS

That trencher will do the job for you. Here is another tip that worked
like a charm for me. I just can't believe that nobody came up with it
ages ago. Here it comes: "fertilizer!" Use that and the the sky is no
limit. I still recieve Pioneer 10! Need i say more?

Hope this helps.

Old September 4th 05, 03:54 AM
Wayne P. Muckleroy

Jeeze...I thought this guy wanted to barrow my French lyrics by Arthur Graves.
"Paul Hinman" wrote in message news:NFFQe.330061$5V4.212744@pd7tw3no...
I came across an interesting antenna the other day on the web. It called for four radials for each band that one would want to use it on. In order to protect the lawn mower I would like to bury the radials. If I use insulated wires for the radials can I bury multiple radials for different frequencies in the same trench. I would rent a small trencher like they use for underground power and utility feeds, make four trenches and drop in the radials, then cover them.

Thanx for any responses.

Paul VE6LDS

Sharing one antenna among two transceivers? Chuck W. Antenna 12 April 22nd 05 10:17 AM
P2P FILE SHARING Paul General 0 April 5th 04 01:12 PM
SSTV is men sharing dirty pics! Preesi Shortwave 3 February 3rd 04 08:15 AM