Old August 31st 05, 03:41 PM
Bill KB3GUN

Default Amateur Radio Assistance to Katrina Disaster!

"laborkei" wrote in message
I have been watching wwltv.com and wdsutv.com on the Internet.
I keep hearing about the lack of emergency services to communicate.
Does anyone know if any Amateur Operators are being engaged to assist?

Amateur Radio Volunteers Involved in Katrina Recovery
NEWINGTON, CT, Aug 30, 2005--Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES)
volunteers in Louisiana are engaged in the Hurricane Katrina recovery
effort, and more are waiting in the wings to help as soon as they can enter
storm-ravaged zones. Winds and flooding from the huge storm wreaked havoc in
Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama after Katrina came ashore early Monday,
August 29. Louisiana ARES Section Emergency Coordinator Gary Stratton,
K5GLS, told ARRL that some 250 ARES members have been working with the Red
Cross and the state's Office of Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness.
Much of the affected areas remain flooded and dangerous, however. As a
result, state officials have not allowed emergency or other units to enter
the flooded zones, and there is still no communication with many coastal
areas.

The West Gulf ARES Emergency Net remains active (7.285 MHz days/3.873 MHz
nights), and radio amateurs not involved in emergency communication have
been asked to keep these frequencies clear when the net is in session.

A high volume of health-and-welfare requests reportedly is slowing the
passage of critical tactical and emergency traffic. The Salvation Army Team
Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) on 14.265 MHz has been accepting and
handling health-and-welfare inquiries on the air and via its Web site.

Full text he http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/08/30/1/?nc=1

73

Old September 1st 05, 12:29 AM

I've been hearing calls for help from people stuck in attics
being routed through HF. Also , the usual H&W... So far,
the local people that have tried to go over there, and been
told, *Stay Away*!!!. They have plenty of local people from other
parts of the state, and New Orleans can't support any help
that does arrive. They have no way to keep them, feed them,
etc...So until they are ready, they are telling most to hang back.
I've been getting a good signal on WWL 870 in the daytime
using my big indoor loop.
Lotsa caller in, and things fairly normal on the air, cept, they
say they are running out of power, and no A/C, etc in the studios.
They are using all available power just for the transmitters.
Only station in town that is still going so far.
MK

Old September 1st 05, 12:34 AM

I've been getting a good signal on WWL 870 in the daytime
using my big indoor loop. .......

Dang, I just checked it now, and it *seems* to be off the air...
Hope it's just propagation.... Hope they didn't finally lose
power... It is 6.30 PM, so it's possible I just lost them due
to the propagation...I get them much better in the day, than
night. I hear a station on freq, but don't know if it's them or not.
MK

Old September 1st 05, 02:14 AM
gb

"laborkei" wrote in message
I have been watching wwltv.com and wdsutv.com on the Internet.
I keep hearing about the lack of emergency services to communicate.
Does anyone know if any Amateur Operators are being engaged to assist?

I was listening to West Gulf ARES Emergency traffic on 40 meters late this
afternoon.

gb

Old September 1st 05, 04:30 AM
Crazy George

They are still on here in San Antonio. I no longer recall exactly where their transmitter is located, and haven't
taken time to look it up on one of the look up sites. The one I used to use and have stored in my favorites is gone,
and I haven't replaced it. Do you have the transmitter location? I *think* it is somewhere in Jefferson Parish.

--
Crazy George
The attglobal.net address is a SPAM trap. Please change that part to: attdotbiz properly