Old November 19th 03, 12:33 AM
Joey

Default Preamp + adjacent antenna

Hi,

I have a scanner (or whatever else I plug in to the coax at the time)
fed by a discone that's about 8 feet from my 2m/440 large vertical
antenna. I run at most 50W into the vertical, usually just 5W, and
have yet to run into any major overload problems into the scanner. At
most, it just stops recieving but I haven't blown anything yet,
probably because it's a 120ft RG-8 run. lossy Anyway I'd like to
put a pre-amp at the antenna on the recieve only feed and am worried
that I could overload the pre-amp while transmitting on the other
antenna. What to do here? Relocating it further away would be a last
resort. Shutting the recieve side off during TX is fine. Is there
some remote rf sensing auto coax disconnect device out there?

73

Old November 19th 03, 04:14 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Joey,

You will have to feed power to the preamp anyhow. So turn it off when the
transmitter is on. You should be able to arrange it so that the preamp power
goes off automatically when the transmitter is on. For good measure, you
could put a relay at the preamp input to disconnect the antenna input when
there is no power to the preamp.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 19th 03, 08:50 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Steve Nosko" wrote in message
And short it to ground.
9

He means short the preamp input, not the antenna.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 20th 03, 11:10 PM
Mike

You could also put the relay on the transmit antenna and short it to
ground during transmit, that would keep the preamp happy.

He he he.

Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM