RadioBanter

-   -   Open Stub fed J antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/78232-open-stub-fed-j-antenna.html)

David September 14th 05 07:21 AM

Open Stub fed J antenna

Does anyone know of where I could find an example of a homebrew open stub
fed j antenna. I want to construct a unit for 915 MHz using SMA plug and
coaxial cable.

Thanks in advance

Cecil Moore September 14th 05 03:07 PM

David wrote:
Does anyone know of where I could find an example of a homebrew open stub
fed j antenna. I want to construct a unit for 915 MHz using SMA plug and
coaxial cable.

An open stub J-pole is the same as a Zepp. 1/2WL element
end fed by 1/4WL balanced series section. The coax connects
to the end of the series section. Arrow Antenna makes one
for 2m. Plans are available that could possibly be scaled
to 915 MHz.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David September 14th 05 11:15 PM

Cecil,

Thanks for the info. The open stub J looks like it should be suitable
for my application being ground independent, omni directional and having
low radiation angle.

Jerry Martes September 15th 05 12:03 AM

Dave

Have you considered making a coaxial version of the J-pole?

http://www.ansoft.com/news/articles/04.05_MWJ.pdf

Jerry

Cecil Moore September 15th 05 12:13 AM

David wrote:
Thanks for the info. The open stub J looks like it should be suitable
for my application being ground independent, omni directional and having
low radiation angle.

Be sure to include a choking function at the feedpoint.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David September 15th 05 01:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The article Jerry pointed me to starts looking like the commercial
antenna I was initially studying. Their unit though only had a 1/4 wave
above the coaxial sleeve.

From the SMA plug, the coax coiled around the radome must have been the
choke to help reduce RF currents radiating from the earth braid.
Then the 1/4 wave length coax forms the match followed by the expose
radiating section.

It looks like an open stub fed J-pole where the stub is enclosing the
inner element rather than being constructed as a rod next to it.

Does this seem reasonable ? (PS. I'm a beginner with regards to antenna
theory and would like to understand what is happening so that I can
experiment with some kind degree of success).

Dave Platt September 15th 05 02:09 AM

In article ,
David wrote:

The article Jerry pointed me to starts looking like the commercial
antenna I was initially studying. Their unit though only had a 1/4 wave
above the coaxial sleeve.

From the SMA plug, the coax coiled around the radome must have been the
choke to help reduce RF currents radiating from the earth braid.
Then the 1/4 wave length coax forms the match followed by the expose
radiating section.

It looks like an open stub fed J-pole where the stub is enclosing the
inner element rather than being constructed as a rod next to it.

Does this seem reasonable ? (PS. I'm a beginner with regards to antenna
theory and would like to understand what is happening so that I can
experiment with some kind degree of success).

Yes, it does. Take a look at the following:

http://download.antennex.com/hws/ws1002/sperrtof.pdf

A Sperrtof, in effect, is a J-pole whose matching section is a coaxial
tube rather than a single rod or wire. It sounds rather like what
you're describing.

As with all such (I think), the radiating section is 1/2 wavelength
long, give or take a smidge, and behaves as an end-fed 1/2-wave
dipole. The matching section isn't supposed to radiate significantly.

The overall radiation pattern would, I expect, be essentially the same
as other J-poles and other end-fed 1/2-wave radiators - similar to a
center-fed 1/2-wave dipole, but tilted a bit "upwards" away from the
feedpoint.

You can distinguish a Sperrtof-type antenna from one of the coaxial
dipoles Jerry referred you to, by the length of the single-wire
radiator - it's 1/2-wave for a Sperrtof and 1/4-wave for a coaxial
dipole (which is really a center-fed dipole).

There's an interesting dual-band 2m/440 antenna which was written up
in QST in October 2000 - ARRL members can get the article at
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/tis...df/0010050.pdf

It's interesting because it's _called_ a J-pole, _looks_ like a
J-pole... but electrically it isn't. It's actually a center-fed
vertical, not a Zepp. The stub at the bottom acts as a
choke/decoupler, not as an impedance transformer.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

David September 15th 05 02:41 AM

Dave,

If I scale that up to 915MHz, the dimensions are almost perfect for
using RG58 coax instead of the copper tubing.The outer tube would be
5.5mm and inner conductor 1.6mm. Being 50 Ohm coax, I assume therefore I
do not need to slide the tap point up as their design did. I suppose I
should also add the choke coil at the antenna base for additional
isolation of ground currents.

The article mentions the top part as 1/2 wave and bottom at 1/4 wave. If
the bottom part of their design is 505mm then the antenna must be used
for 2m band. If this is the case, how come the radiating element is 1480
long ?

The Coaxial antenna mentioned in the article mentioned by Jerry looks
good. The version they mention with a GAP would be simple to construct.
It is a 1/4 wave radiating element at the top (earth braid stripped
back), then 1/4 wave of full coax, then a "small" gap, then the
transmission line. They do not mention the size of the gap but I assume
any small gap has the same effect of isolating the reverse current ?

Should the actual lengths of these sections be modified by "K" depending
on diameter of conductor or are they exact 1/4 wave length cuts ?

Thanks heaps.

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

The article Jerry pointed me to starts looking like the commercial
antenna I was initially studying. Their unit though only had a 1/4 wave
above the coaxial sleeve.

From the SMA plug, the coax coiled around the radome must have been the

Cecil Moore September 15th 05 03:10 AM

David wrote:
If I scale that up to 915MHz, the dimensions are almost perfect for
using RG58 coax ...

I wouldn't use RG58 for anything above HF. It has 20 dB
matched line loss per 100 ft at that frequency.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David September 15th 05 03:41 AM

So for the 1/4 wave (81mm) section of the antenna the loss would be
about 0.05dB ? at 915 MHz.

I typically have between 150mm (When antenna mounted on enclosure) and
2m length (when antenna external to enclosure) cable between transmitter
and Antenna. (Around 1.2dB max. loss in coax between transmitter and
antenna). Would this usually be acceptable or do you aim for much lower
loss in the transmission line ? Max. power is 1 Watt. Most of the
transceivers I play around with are around 10mW.

Thanks

Dale Parfitt September 15th 05 01:42 PM

"David" wrote in message
So for the 1/4 wave (81mm) section of the antenna the loss would be about
0.05dB ? at 915 MHz.

20dB/100' MATCHED line loss.
W4OP

Cecil Moore September 15th 05 02:07 PM

David wrote:
So for the 1/4 wave (81mm) section of the antenna the loss would be
about 0.05dB ? at 915 MHz.

Depends upon whether you leave the insulation on the radiating
part or not. But what I was concerned about is the transmission
line. You lose about half of your power every 15 feet. Until
your last posting, you didn't tell us the length of the
transmission line but personally I find 1.2 dB matched line
loss in six feet to be unacceptable. Any SWR above 1:1 and the
losses are even greater.

Dave Platt September 15th 05 07:37 PM

In article ,
David wrote:

Dave,

If I scale that up to 915MHz, the dimensions are almost perfect for
using RG58 coax instead of the copper tubing.The outer tube would be
5.5mm and inner conductor 1.6mm. Being 50 Ohm coax, I assume therefore I
do not need to slide the tap point up as their design did.

Bad assumption, I think. The portion of the matching section between
the tap point and the bottom is a shorted stub, which adds some
inductive reactance at the feedpoint. If you don't have it, you won't
get a good match.

Another approach I've seen to creating the necessary shorted stub is
to just use RG-58 and a simple BNC "T" connector. If you look at the
Sperrtopf antenna design, picture it made this way:

- one long piece of RG-58 1380 mm long, with the upper part of
the outer shield removed... that's your radiator, and the portion
of the matching section above the feedpoint.

- A second section of RG-58, about 100 mm long, with one end shorted.
That's the stub.

- The feedline RG-58.

Now, just connect all three together... radiator/matching section,
stub, and feedline. You can solder 'em, or add BNC plugs and use a
BNC "T". If you do the latter, remember to include the lengths of the
plugs and "T" into account.

I suppose I
should also add the choke coil at the antenna base for additional
isolation of ground currents.

Certainly would not hurt to do so. You could either coil the coax
below the bottom of the matching section, or add a quarter-wave choke
sleeve, or just run the coax through a few ferrite beads.

The article mentions the top part as 1/2 wave and bottom at 1/4 wave. If
the bottom part of their design is 505mm then the antenna must be used
for 2m band. If this is the case, how come the radiating element is 1480
long ?

I think there's some confusion in the antenna schematic diagram,
compared with the text and parts list. The diagram appears to show
the upper (radiating) portion of the center element being 1480 mm, but
the parts list indicates that the *total* length of the inner element
is 1480 mm.

The latter seems more correct to me... it'd give you a radiating
element of (1480 - 505) = 975 mm, which is a bit less than 1/2
physical wavelength at 2 meters. This seems reasonable to me given
that the radiating element is fairly thick (10mm) rather than a thin
wire.

The Coaxial antenna mentioned in the article mentioned by Jerry looks
good. The version they mention with a GAP would be simple to construct.
It is a 1/4 wave radiating element at the top (earth braid stripped
back), then 1/4 wave of full coax, then a "small" gap, then the
transmission line. They do not mention the size of the gap but I assume
any small gap has the same effect of isolating the reverse current ?

I'm not clear about the gap configuration either. The article sort of
implies that its size has to be set experimentally, so that the
leakage current through the gap is the right amount to cancel out the
signal propagating back down the outside of the upper section. The
article doesn't say whether the gap is supposed to go around the full
circumference of the coax (completely isolating the upper and lower
portions of the shield) or only partially around... I infer that it's
the latter, because I don't see how the antenna could work with the
shield sections fully separated.

Should the actual lengths of these sections be modified by "K" depending
on diameter of conductor or are they exact 1/4 wave length cuts ?

Well, I think it's a bit of a compromise.

The upper section (the coax center conductor and its surrounding
dielectric) is going to have a velocity factor of not much less than
1.0. Cutting to 1/4 physical wavelength, and then trimming a bit,
seems likely to work.

I think the lower section is likely to be a bit trickier, since
there are actually two velocity factors involved. The radiating is
done by the RF travelling back down the outside of the coax braid from
the feedpoint, and this (like the upper section) will have a velocity
factor close to 1.0, which suggests that the gap-to-feedpoint distance
should be close to 1/4 physical wavelength.

HOWEVER: the signal travelling up the *inside* of the braid, like that
travelling up the inner conductor towards the feedpoint, will be
travelling more slowly - the velocity factor will be somewhere around
..66 - .8 depending on cable type. This means that there will be more
than 180 degrees of phase delay between the signal passing the gap
going upwards (inside the cable) and the signal reaching the gap from
above (travelling back down the outside of the cable). Hence, the gap
leakage won't result in full cancellation of the signal travelling
down the outside of the coax past the gap.

To get the two signals into accurate 180-degree phase opposition,
you'd need to make the distance from the feedpoint to the gap a bit
less than 1/4 physical wavelength, but a bit more than 1/4 of the
coax's usual electrical wavelength. Splitting the difference might
work fairly well.

I'm not sure what this will do to the antenna's feedpoint impedance /
return loss, though, and it'll probably tilt the antenna's radiation
pattern somewhat. You will probably need to experiment to get the
best compromise between antenna pattern and feedpoint impedance /
return loss / SWR. The same is true of the gap size and configuration.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

[email protected] September 15th 05 08:13 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:37:48 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

Dave,

If I scale that up to 915MHz, the dimensions are almost perfect for
using RG58 coax instead of the copper tubing.The outer tube would be
5.5mm and inner conductor 1.6mm. Being 50 Ohm coax, I assume therefore I
do not need to slide the tap point up as their design did.

Using RG58 at 900mhz is a lossy situation to be avoided.

Bad assumption, I think. The portion of the matching section between
the tap point and the bottom is a shorted stub, which adds some
inductive reactance at the feedpoint. If you don't have it, you won't
get a good match.

True. You can alter the lengths and use the stub section to cancel
the inductive or capacitive reactance set up by the radiating element
if present. If your radiating element is capacitive (tad shorter)
then the stub can be open which will reflect as inductive. It's only
a matter of juggling the numbers.

[...]

If the antenna feed point is a matched condition what is the RF on the
coax shield from? It should be very small.

The article mentions the top part as 1/2 wave and bottom at 1/4 wave. If
the bottom part of their design is 505mm then the antenna must be used
for 2m band. If this is the case, how come the radiating element is 1480
long ?

I think there's some confusion in the antenna schematic diagram,
compared with the text and parts list. The diagram appears to show
the upper (radiating) portion of the center element being 1480 mm, but
the parts list indicates that the *total* length of the inner element
is 1480 mm.

For 2m the correct length for the total center element is 1480 (58").
At 2m the halfwave length is in free space is 1M or for real elements
about 38" (.95M) or a K around .96-97.

The latter seems more correct to me... it'd give you a radiating
element of (1480 - 505) = 975 mm, which is a bit less than 1/2
physical wavelength at 2 meters. This seems reasonable to me given
that the radiating element is fairly thick (10mm) rather than a thin
wire.

Correct. Thick elements do make a noticeable difference especially
when the ratio of wavelength to element diameter gets below 500:1.
The effect is elements are shorter, bandwidth wider.

The Coaxial antenna mentioned in the article mentioned by Jerry looks
good. The version they mention with a GAP would be simple to construct.
It is a 1/4 wave radiating element at the top (earth braid stripped
back), then 1/4 wave of full coax, then a "small" gap, then the
transmission line. They do not mention the size of the gap but I assume
any small gap has the same effect of isolating the reverse current ?

There is no requirement for the bottom to be coaxial. it can be
parallel lines (convential Jpole) in either case the antenna is a
1/2 lamda using a open section of transmission line for matching.

I'm not clear about the gap configuration either. The article sort of
implies that its size has to be set experimentally, so that the
leakage current through the gap is the right amount to cancel out the
signal propagating back down the outside of the upper section. The
article doesn't say whether the gap is supposed to go around the full
circumference of the coax (completely isolating the upper and lower
portions of the shield) or only partially around... I infer that it's
the latter, because I don't see how the antenna could work with the
shield sections fully separated.

The gap is fully open. Also that gap sets up a transmisstion line
between the outer braid and the inner transmission line braid.
There is an interaction between the gap and braid section length.

Should the actual lengths of these sections be modified by "K" depending
on diameter of conductor or are they exact 1/4 wave length cuts ?

Yes. however the difference between K and free space will be maybe
a 2-4% difference. At 2m that comes out to around .5" (12mm) give or
take.

Well, I think it's a bit of a compromise.

The upper section (the coax center conductor and its surrounding
dielectric) is going to have a velocity factor of not much less than
1.0. Cutting to 1/4 physical wavelength, and then trimming a bit,
seems likely to work.

Even without insulation it's lower than 1.0 (likely .98 or so)
but insulation will increase that.

[...]

If properly matched the feedpoint will be 50ohms and the return loss
will be reflective of a good match.

Allison
Kb1GMX

Richard Clark September 15th 05 08:21 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:13:28 GMT, wrote:

If the antenna feed point is a matched condition what is the RF on the
coax shield from? It should be very small.

Hi OM,

You have just hit the trip-wire of a common misunderstanding.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Fred W4JLE September 15th 05 10:57 PM

Suggest you do a google search for baluns coupled with each of the following
Maxwell, Cebik, and Lewellen.

You will become enlightened grasshopper...

=

Roy Lewallen September 16th 05 12:07 AM

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Suggest you do a google search for baluns coupled with each of the following
Maxwell, Cebik, and Lewellen.
. . .

Searching for Lewallen will probably be more fruitful than Lewellen.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Fred W4JLE September 16th 05 01:52 AM

Mea Culpa, my fingers slipped when typing, and I in a senior moment failed
to proof.

In any event your piece on baluns is part of my reference library.

David September 16th 05 02:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback to my posting.

I have now been given a lot of information but am starting to go around
in circles.
It seems many people are used to operating at lower frequencies with
huge lengths of wire and hundred of watts of power.

In my application, I am looking for an omni-directional antenna with
reasonable "gain" and fairly low radiation angle. The application
operates with Data at 920 MHz where power levels are below 1 watt. The
antenna must either fix directly to the enclosure (which can be plastic
or metal and is usually only around 100mm x 60mm x 40mm) or within 2-3m
of the enclosure. Therefore, a unit that does not require ground plane
style antenna would be good.
The end-fed antenna style is good because I can build it into the end of
a SMA connector and use 1/4" nylon tubing as the Radome.

Now I just need what goes in the Radome to complete the unit. It is
difficult to install Tee BNC connectors and mid tap points on coils or
transmission lines etc. Stripping coax cable and coiling the coax on the
outside of the Radome is fine as I can cover the unit later with heatshrink.

In my search it seemed the J-pole was a good contender due to its
performance and low radiation angle and ground independence. The shorted
stub version was troublesome but the open stub looked promising.

It appeared as though I could simply use coaxial cable to create the
antenna and fold back part of the coax over 1/4 wave section.

Some have suggested coiling cable to act as a choke at the feed point
and others have mentioned not to do this.

Would anyone by chance have details of a whip antenna that is proven to
work and is similar to what I am trying to construct that I could use as
a starting point ?

Thanks in advance.

Cecil Moore September 16th 05 02:43 AM

David wrote:
Would anyone by chance have details of a whip antenna that is proven to
work and is similar to what I am trying to construct that I could use as
a starting point ?

In "Antennas For All Applications", by Kraus and Marhefka, third edition,
page 824, a 1/2WL over 1/4WL collinear array vertical is described that
allegedly has a gain of 6.4 dBi. There is a 180 deg. phase reversing coil
between the bottom 1/4WL and the top 1/2WL. The entire vertical should be
less than one foot long. The 180 deg. phase reversing coil is the tricky
part.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David September 16th 05 03:26 AM

Cecil,

Thanks for the book reference.

I searched amazon for it but they are charging $187 for it.

Do you know where I might find a second hand copy ?

Regards

David

Richard Harrison September 16th 05 05:05 AM

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"The 180 deg. phase reversing coil is the tricky part."

For UHF, you might prefer to use a 1/4-wave short-circuited stub in
place of a coil to reverse the phase. My 19th edition of the ARRL
Antenna Book shows such an antenna, "the super J-pole on page 16-25. At
other frequencies, this might be called a "Franklin Antenna". It`s a
1/2-wave in-phase with another 1/2-wave, one mounted directly over the
other.

The super J-pole is designed for 144 MHz, but can be scaled for any
frequency with proper mechanical allowances. Gain is about 6 dB over a
1/4-wave whip.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZZI

David September 16th 05 05:44 AM

Richard,

I have the 20th edition. Looking at the picture, I would have difficulty
building this into the end of a SMA plug to sit on top of the radio modem.

Regards

David

Richard Clark September 16th 05 07:22 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:26:25 GMT, David wrote:

Do you know where I might find a second hand copy ?

Hi David,

Amazon is possibly the worst source for used titles. Instead, try:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...71 2546_2:2:2
where there are roughly 40 copies available ranging from $28 to
Amazon's gold plated offer.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 16th 05 02:37 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:
Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"The 180 deg. phase reversing coil is the tricky part."

For UHF, you might prefer to use a 1/4-wave short-circuited stub in
place of a coil to reverse the phase. My 19th edition of the ARRL
Antenna Book shows such an antenna, "the super J-pole on page 16-25. At
other frequencies, this might be called a "Franklin Antenna". It`s a
1/2-wave in-phase with another 1/2-wave, one mounted directly over the
other.

The stub is a good idea and can be mechanically self-supporting at
920 MHz. However, making the bottom section 1/4WL (as Kraus suggests)
instead of 1/2WL would make for a low feedpoint impedance

Walter Maxwell September 16th 05 03:22 PM

Searching Maxwell on baluns on Google will turn up mostly baluns for
sale by various dealers, not how they work. Searching Lewallen will
turn up good data in answering your question on how does the current
get onto the outside of the shield braid.

If you want Maxwell's data on how the current gets there go to his web
page at www.w2du.com, Click on 'Read Chapters from Reflections 2',
and then click on Chapter 21, "Some Aspects of the Balun Problem."

Walt, W2DU

Cecil Moore September 16th 05 03:26 PM

David wrote:
Do you know where I might find a second hand copy ?

Google "used books". I've had good luck with
www.abebooks.com

I have also run across foreign published books that
are about half priced and new. Don't recall the URL.

But I've given you all the information in Kraus' book
about that particular antenna. Laid on its side:

|----------/////--------------------
| 1/4WL coil 1/2WL

The coil is a 180 deg. phase reversing coil. If I
remember correctly, that means it is self-resonant.
If that's right, it probably means that a trap
would work instead of a coil. The impedance at the
bottom and top of the coil is very high so it seems
to me that instead of blocking the signal, like an
ordinary trap, a trap would merely reverse the phase.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore September 16th 05 03:43 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
I have also run across foreign published books that
are about half priced and new. Don't recall the URL.

Doing a search on the following webpage for "John Kraus"
and "Antennas for all Applications" yields an "as new"
international soft cover version for $28.50.

http://www.abebooks.com/

It would be nice if everyone on this newsgroup had one
of these as a reference.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison September 16th 05 07:31 PM

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"It would be nice if everyone on this newsgtoup had one of these as a
refgerence."

I second that motion. At $28.50, it is about 1/2 the cost of mine which
was a bargain at that. Kraus` "Antennas" is without peer. As Kraus is
now dead, there won`t likely be a new improved edition as in the past.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Steve Nosko September 16th 05 08:11 PM

"David" wrote in message
Dave,
... The article [Sperrtopf ] mentions the top part as 1/2 wave ...
If this is the case, how come the radiating element is 1480
long ?

Dave,

If you read his shopping list you see that his drawing is wrong. The
_TOTAL_ length of the small pipe is 1480. Still a vertical half wave
radiator.

I see no one took this part so I will address the question of what these
antennas are, but second. I also read your later post describing your
application very well and make this comment first.

If you want to simply 'build' the antenna from physical dimensions
derived from another frequency or antenna or just from "scratch", I see two
significant problems.

One is that if you have no measuring equipment for 915 MHz, you run a real
risk of not getting the size close enough regardless which type of antenna
you choose. This could wipe out all your desire to get "reasonable gain".
While RF is commonly called "Black magic" there are strays that can be
understood only to some extent and therefore they can easily get you off
your target. The other is that the plastic "Radome" *will* have an effect
on the resonant frequency (lowering the frequency), so comparing it to an
"open air" version moves you off your target as well. A common issue
relating to both of these is that as you make an antenna with more and more
gain, the dimensions become more and more critical to get the best
performance.

As a conclusion to this I would recommend setting up the system with a
simple, good old quarter wave ground plane and see if you really need
"reasonable gain".

Now, on to the "what-is-this-antenna" question you asked earlier. A
"J-Pole" (or as I consider, more correctly) a "J" antenna is a vertical half
wave antenna (radiating element). It is fed at the bottom (end fed) with
an approximately quarter wave long, shorted line, or matching section, or
matching stub - call it what you wish. This matching section is constructed
of open, parallel wire transmission line. The match to 50 ohms is obtained
by connecting the feed line to a point on the matching section closest to 50
ohms. As a simplification you can look at the classical quarter wave
shorted stub. Where the impedance goes from zero at the shorted end to a
very high value at the open end. Connecting the high impedance (end of the)
half wave radiator to the high impedance end of the stub leads us to
conclude that we ought to be able to find any impedance we want (between
"high" and zero) somewhere along the length of the stub - and we basically
do.

.. The length of the matching section and the point where the t-line
connects both can be adjusted to get to the best match - though this may not
be easy given the construction method used. It is called "J" because when
you put the matching section in line with the radiator (and there is nothing
requiring this) it has the physical shape of a "J". The matching section
could be at right angles to the radiator destroying the "J" shape and the
concepts described here are the same (there are antennas done this way). I
described it as I did so I can replace the open wire matching section with a
coax matching section of the same properties and get the Sperrtopf antenna
exactly. So the Sperrtopf can be called a "Sleeve J-Pole" if you like. Or,
for those enamored with the "pole", perhaps a "Sleeve-Pole".

The "sleeve" antenna, or "sleeve dipole" I also a vertical half wave
antenna, but it is center fed . Start with an ordinary half wave, center
fed dipole. Turn it vertically. Feed it with coax (yes, I know there is a
balanced to un-balanced issue, but stay with me). Now, convert one half of
the dipole (one quarter wave length side) from a wire to a pipe. Make this
the half which has the coax shield connected to it. Then, take the coax and
rather than running it away at 90 degrees, stuff it down the center of the
pipe, out the end and to the transmitter. This is the sleeve dipole. Some
may consider the sleeve simply to be a "choke" keeping current off the
t-line and there are usually several models which can be used to explain one
configuration.

The referenced Microwaves article shows one type of these, the ordinary
sleeve dipole. Looking at Fig 3 and the Appendix B picture, Antenna 3 is
clearly the classical vertical sleeve dipole.

If I read this correctly, the sleeve dipole closely mimics the ordinary
dipole as one would expect. The "spaced gap" antenna (#2) appears close
with possibly a little less gain due to the flattened pattern (more
radiation at 30 & 150 degrees). Either the #2 or #3 look like they are easy
to construct, with the cautions I mentioned above.

Finally, the antenna you described taking apart, looks to me like the #1
antenna (Extended Inner" with a choke 1/4 wave back from the shield end.
Too bad the Microwave paper didn't try this.

73, Steve, K;9.D,C'I

Steve Nosko September 16th 05 08:25 PM

|----------/////--------------------
| 1/4WL coil 1/2WL

The coil is a 180 deg. phase reversing coil. [snip]
73, Cecil,

Yep and this makes it a "phasing" coil and the antenna a colinear. The
phasing coil causes the current in the two sections of the antenna to be in
phase. Note my addition of polarity indicators to the above diagram. The
right end of both elements are the same = in phase currents. Now you have a
half wave and a quarter wave in phase, yielding gain by a flatter pattern
(whicn is vertical in this drawing).
You can stack half waves up like this and this is done in common cellular
gain antennas - probably WiMax as well. There are several ways to do the
phasing... Coils like this, quarter-wave shorted stubs (parallel-line),
reverse connecting alternate sections of coaxial t-line as elements, phasing
harnesses on the feed line... Probably more.

73, Steve, K;9'D.C,I

David September 17th 05 12:15 AM

I would like to express my appreciation for all those who have taken the
time to respond to my post. Being new to antenna design and construction
I understand some of my questions and comments may seem a bit "silly"
and it would be easy for people to suggest that I go learn more first or
simply use trial and error.

I have a practical requirement for a flexible whip antenna that results
in "good" gain that works but at the same time I want to learn what I
can because it is my intention to later experiment with other style of
antenna (Yagi at 434MHz is next on my list).

Now, back to the 1/4 wave, phasing coil, 1/2 wave design.

Does this means for a practical antenna I could have...

SMA plug centre pin - 1/4 length of wire - several turns of wire
around the Radome - 1/2 length of wire ? (ie. coax earth braid stops at
SMA and rest of antenna is made up of inner conductor and dielectric only).

Is it that "simple" ? If so, that would be easy to construct in a
flexible whip (which is my aim) compared to many of the other suggestions.

Is the gain the same as a dipole ?

Also, I have EZNEC 4. but have not had a chance to learn it yet. Can you
model the coil in the program or can you only enter segments ?

Thanks.

|----------/////--------------------

Cecil Moore September 17th 05 05:07 AM

David wrote:
Is it that "simple" ? If so, that would be easy to construct in a
flexible whip (which is my aim) compared to many of the other suggestions.

The non-simple part is designing the 180 deg. phase
shifting coil. I think I have one of those on my
Diamond mobile antenna.

Is the gain the same as a dipole ?

Higher than a dipole - close to 6 dBi compared to the
1/4WL ground plane at *about* 0 dBi.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jerry Martes September 17th 05 06:40 AM

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"The 180 deg. phase reversing coil is the tricky part."

For UHF, you might prefer to use a 1/4-wave short-circuited stub in
place of a coil to reverse the phase. My 19th edition of the ARRL
Antenna Book shows such an antenna, "the super J-pole on page 16-25. At
other frequencies, this might be called a "Franklin Antenna". It`s a
1/2-wave in-phase with another 1/2-wave, one mounted directly over the
other.

The super J-pole is designed for 144 MHz, but can be scaled for any
frequency with proper mechanical allowances. Gain is about 6 dB over a
1/4-wave whip.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZZI

Richard

I'd have expected the "gain" to be closer to 4 1/2 db over the 1/4 wave
stub over a ground. is it easy to show where i've missed something?

Jerry

David September 17th 05 08:55 AM

I have constructed a 915 MHz 1/2 wave, end fed antenna that fits onto
the end of a SMA plug based on help from you guys. I have some pics of
the construction if anyone is interested in taking a look.
Where is the appropriate place to post these jpg files ?

I am accessing this newsgroup from my email client presently.

I am not sure how I can optimize this yet. My antenna Analyzer is the
MJF unit that only goes to 440MHz.

I have a 1GHz spec analyzer, 1GHz Sig Gen and a Telonic VSWR kit that
goes to 2.5GHz but I think the drive required to the VSWR "Rho-Tector"
needs to be higher than the 10dBm from the sig gen.

Could I optimize the design with this equipment, or maybe would I be
better to use RSSI levels from a receiver placed say 3m away from
Antenna under test ?

If the antenna works I will be very excited as it is very simple to
construct in around 10 minutes and at a cost of around $3 (no counting
labour).

Thanks for any help.

Cecil Moore September 17th 05 03:00 PM

David wrote:

I have constructed a 915 MHz 1/2 wave, end fed antenna that fits onto
the end of a SMA plug based on help from you guys.

How are you matching the very high feedpoint impedance?

I have some pics of
the construction if anyone is interested in taking a look.
Where is the appropriate place to post these jpg files ?

Some of us have web pages from qsl.net for that purpose.
There is also a netnews group for that purpose. I think
it is alt.binaries.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jerry Martes September 17th 05 07:20 PM

David wrote:

I have constructed a 915 MHz 1/2 wave, end fed antenna that fits onto the
end of a SMA plug based on help from you guys.

How are you matching the very high feedpoint impedance?

I have some pics of the construction if anyone is interested in taking a
look.
Where is the appropriate place to post these jpg files ?

Some of us have web pages from qsl.net for that purpose.
There is also a netnews group for that purpose. I think
it is alt.binaries.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups

Cecil

He is feeding the 1/2 wave antenna in the center, where the impedance will
be somewhere around 70 ohms. His coax feed line is located within one half
of the antenna and exits the 1/2 wave, center excited, dipole at the "high
impedance" end of the dipole.

David sent me some pictures. The antenna looks quite good.

The effectiveness of the "choke" that attempts to disconnect the dipole
from the feed line may be less than ideal, but it is yet unknown how good
this antenna needs to be.

Jerry

Roy Lewallen September 17th 05 08:46 PM

Jerry Martes wrote:

I'd have expected the "gain" to be closer to 4 1/2 db over the 1/4 wave
stub over a ground. is it easy to show where i've missed something?

I think it should be more like 3 dB, but hadn't said anything until I
had a chance to model it. The quarter wave stub doesn't radiate
significantly, so it can be ignored. A half wavelength element should
have about 1.5 dB gain over a quarter wave. Two of them would give
another 3 dB if it weren't for mutual coupling, but the mutual coupling
of collinear elements reduces the gain to about 1.5 dB over a single
element. (See for example Fig. 39 on p. 8-35 of the ARRL Antenna Book,
20th Edition; look up Collinear, Gain and directivity in the index of
other editions; or model it with your favorite program.)

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jerry Martes September 17th 05 09:03 PM

Jerry Martes wrote:

I'd have expected the "gain" to be closer to 4 1/2 db over the 1/4 wave
stub over a ground. is it easy to show where i've missed something?

I think it should be more like 3 dB, but hadn't said anything until I had
a chance to model it. The quarter wave stub doesn't radiate significantly,
so it can be ignored. A half wavelength element should have about 1.5 dB
gain over a quarter wave. Two of them would give another 3 dB if it
weren't for mutual coupling, but the mutual coupling of collinear elements
reduces the gain to about 1.5 dB over a single element. (See for example
Fig. 39 on p. 8-35 of the ARRL Antenna Book, 20th Edition; look up
Collinear, Gain and directivity in the index of other editions; or model
it with your favorite program.)

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Thanks Roy

Your posts always add alot to my understanding. I appreciate your taking
time to evaluate this antenna and then pass the information on to the group.

Jerry

Roy Lewallen September 17th 05 10:28 PM

Jerry Martes wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, I see I wasn't clear in saying that I haven't yet had a
chance to model it. There might be a flaw in my reasoning, and the
antenna might have more gain than I think. I'll try to get to it as soon
as I can -- unless someone else wants to take it on. But I'm extremely
busy just now.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL