Old November 19th 03, 06:55 PM
Alan

Default Earth as a "dipole"

Perhaps this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else saw NOVA last
night. (11/18/03) The program was about the reversing of polarity of Earth
every few hundred thousand years. In the show, some of the scientists
referred to Earth as a dipole with a magnetic field that alternates.

Alan
WN4HOG

--
Windsurfing Club: http://www.ibscc.org

Old November 19th 03, 07:13 PM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:55:37 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

Perhaps this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else saw NOVA last
night. (11/18/03) The program was about the reversing of polarity of Earth
every few hundred thousand years. In the show, some of the scientists
referred to Earth as a dipole with a magnetic field that alternates.

Alan
WN4HOG

Hi Alan,

And so?

Actually the program revealed through closer analysis that the earth
is a multipole (the anomalies) and that through the addition of all
poles (the anomalies) this creates an overall dipole behavior (when
interacted upon from space).

Much could be said of the standard halfwave antenna within/without the
near/far field regions.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 19th 03, 07:22 PM
Ken

wrote:

Perhaps this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else saw NOVA last
night. (11/18/03) The program was about the reversing of polarity of Earth
every few hundred thousand years. In the show, some of the scientists
referred to Earth as a dipole with a magnetic field that alternates.

Alan
WN4HOG

Hi Alan,

And so?

Actually the program revealed through closer analysis that the earth
is a multipole (the anomalies) and that through the addition of all
poles (the anomalies) this creates an overall dipole behavior (when
interacted upon from space).

Much could be said of the standard halfwave antenna within/without the
near/far field regions.

73's

Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thats what the the Movie "The Core" was based on. If you believe the
movie, reversing of polarity could cause earth quakes, storms and the
shuttle to crash.

Ken

Old November 19th 03, 07:26 PM
w4jle

If the poles flip, will that make me a Yankee? Is my Southern heritage at
risk? Will I need to turn my tin foil hat inside out? :)

A bit of mental masturbation to think of all the consequences of day to day
life if the magnetic poles once again flip... I did in fact do a bit of
eyeball rolling during the espousing of some of the theories.

Old November 19th 03, 08:13 PM
Cecil Moore

Alan wrote:
Perhaps this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else saw NOVA last
night. (11/18/03) The program was about the reversing of polarity of Earth
every few hundred thousand years. In the show, some of the scientists
referred to Earth as a dipole with a magnetic field that alternates.

They just mean a magnetic field with a 1-North and 2-South pole. Every magnet
has at least two poles. So far, to the best of my knowledge, nobody (on earth)
has detected a magnetic monopole (although such is predicted by some theories).
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 19th 03, 08:34 PM
'Doc

w4jle,
Funny you should mentiuon the 'tin' hat, just got
in a shipment of 'bipolar' tin hats. On sale soon!
'Doc
Old November 19th 03, 08:39 PM
Cecil Moore

w4jle wrote:
A bit of mental masturbation to think of all the consequences of day to day
life if the magnetic poles once again flip... I did in fact do a bit of
eyeball rolling during the espousing of some of the theories.

If I am not mistaken, the sun's magnetic poles reverse every 11 or 22 years.
The fact that the earth's magnetic poles have not reversed during human
history is only because of the meager time that humans have existed. But
it will be interesting to see all the compasses pointing South.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 19th 03, 10:05 PM
Steve Nosko

Finally. Someone answers the OP's question. "Di-Pole" two "poles".
Perhaps the OP was thinking of the fact that we all call a half wave, center
fed antenna a "dipole" and this is an electrical thing - whereas the NOVA
was talking only magnetic field (when referring to the "dipole" concept).
The term applies to either.
Steve, k,9,d,c,i,.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Perhaps this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else saw NOVA

last
night. (11/18/03) .... Earth as a dipole with a magnetic field that

alternates.

Old November 20th 03, 12:13 AM
Dave Shrader

Cecil Moore wrote:
w4jle wrote:

A bit of mental masturbation to think of all the consequences of day
to day
life if the magnetic poles once again flip... I did in fact do a bit of
eyeball rolling during the espousing of some of the theories.

If I am not mistaken, the sun's magnetic poles reverse every 11 or 22
years.
The fact that the earth's magnetic poles have not reversed during human
history is only because of the meager time that humans have existed. But
it will be interesting to see all the compasses pointing South.

That's it!! It has been proven!

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

Old November 20th 03, 04:39 AM
Tdonaly

Dave Shrader wrote,

If I am not mistaken, the sun's magnetic poles reverse every 11 or 22
years.
The fact that the earth's magnetic poles have not reversed during human
history is only because of the meager time that humans have existed. But
it will be interesting to see all the compasses pointing South.

That's it!! It has been proven!

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

Which direction in outer space is up?
73,
Tom Donaly

Pls comment on this dipole Steve Antenna 6 October 15th 03 12:08 AM
shortened dipole loaded Jerry Antenna 11 October 2nd 03 12:57 AM
Comet VA30 (base loaded tri-band dipole 40/15/10) PA3HHO Antenna 2 September 1st 03 07:33 PM
Dipole connected to grounded receiver? Tom Antenna 4 July 22nd 03 11:19 PM