RadioBanter

-   -   UWB pulse signal has no DC? Why? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/78932-uwb-pulse-signal-has-no-dc-why.html)

Cecil Moore September 29th 05 04:23 PM

Asimov wrote:
How is it done except if not by photons, virtual or otherwise, whether
the context is AC or DC?

DC applied to an antenna no doubt creates virtual photons.
My statements should be considered to exclude such virtual
photons. They are meant to include only detectable photons
coherent with the frequency of the driving signal capable
of propagation through free space which are emitted by the
acceleration/deceleration of free electrons in a copper
wire antenna. (Contexts nowadays are sure complicated.)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark September 29th 05 04:50 PM

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:56:26 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:
Assuming your flashlight does generate photons with a frequency
of zero Hz, how do you detect them?

You must be assuming delectable photons.

Asimov September 29th 05 10:11 PM

"Cecil Moore" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Sep 05 06:56:26)
--- on the heady topic of " UWB pulse signal has no DC? Why?"

CM From: Cecil Moore
CM Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:217576

CM Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 03:26:28 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:
Your flashlight is NOT generating DC coherent photons.

Mine does. Like I said, yours probably needs batteries, or perhaps it
is suffering a dimbulb behind the on/off switch.

CM Assuming your flashlight does generate photons with a frequency
CM of zero Hz, how do you detect them?

With a field mill or a moving coil of wire?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I installed a sky-light; now the folks above me are mad!

Jim Kelley October 3rd 05 07:24 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Steady-state DC is incapable of generating coherent photons from an
antenna.

At last a truism, arguably. ;-)

ac6xg

Cecil Moore October 3rd 05 07:49 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Steady-state DC is incapable of generating coherent photons from an
antenna.

At last a truism, arguably. ;-)

Say Jim, what is the frequency of virtual photons?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley October 3rd 05 09:23 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Say Jim, what is the frequency of virtual photons?

Are you asking me what's "nu"? :-)

I always say it's c over lambda. For photons it's E/h.

You can be the local expert on virtual photons if you want, Cecil. I'm
only on a need to know basis with them.

73, ac6xg

Cecil Moore October 3rd 05 09:37 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
You can be the local expert on virtual photons if you want, Cecil. I'm
only on a need to know basis with them.

I understand coherent photons emitted by free electrons being
accelerated and decelerated by RF currents on a wire antenna.
I don't know much about virtual photons. I was hoping that a
physics guru would know.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley October 3rd 05 10:27 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

You can be the local expert on virtual photons if you want, Cecil.
I'm only on a need to know basis with them.

I understand coherent photons emitted by free electrons being
accelerated and decelerated by RF currents on a wire antenna.
I don't know much about virtual photons. I was hoping that a
physics guru would know.

A physics guru might say that if it's a photon, its frequency is E/h
unless one of the virtues of being 'virtual' is that its frequency may
or may not be equal to E/h. Perhaps it's greatest virtue might even be
that you can attribute any physical characteristic you want to it - not
unlike some of the other virtual entities. ;-)

73 de ac6xg

Richard Clark October 3rd 05 10:37 PM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:27:07 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:
Perhaps it's greatest virtue might even be that you can attribute any physical characteristic you want to it

Now there's a familiar terrain.

Hi Jim,

Are we verging on the shadow of a photon?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jim Kelley October 3rd 05 11:07 PM

Richard Clark wrote:

Are we verging on the shadow of a photon?

Only the shadow knows. It's a quantum effect.

ac6xg