Old November 21st 03, 01:18 PM
Nisse

Default From another newsgroup near You

FYI (cut from uk.tech.digital-tv)
:-))))

My least favorite customers are the radio hams. They ring up saying they
want
an aerial fixed up, which sounds promising, then it turns out its a
great big
HF beam weighing half a ton, with a rotator as well. All you can do is
tell
them how much the parts will cost and how much you will charge per hour,
and
thats when they get stroppy. They seem to think I am quite happy to
spend half
a day pratting about on there roof with a monster aerial and charge
peanuts.
Usually the price gets rid of them and next time you drive past theres
an
abortion of a job on there roof. Sometimes they want it doing though, no
matter
how much I tell them it will be, and thats where the trouble starts.
They just
want to use me as monkey to climb on the roof, they think all aerial
riggers
are thick as pig****. I don't mind that but I had one today wanted me to
put a
2 meter beam (10 foot long) on a mast that he'd bought. The mast was
nowhere
near strong enough but he wouldnt have it that it was dangerous. One
time I was
fixing a TV aerial on a mast with a rotator on it when the radio ham
decided to
have a play with his beam. The rotator nearly took my finger off. One
time this
bloke got me to fix a little dish thing on his roof, pointing as his
pals house
a few miles away. Whatever it was supposed to do it didnt, something to
do with
a computer I think, and of course it was all my fault because I cant
have lined
it up right. In the end they found out it was the receiver or
transmitter or
something, after they had been nasty to me. I think the trouble with
hams is
they are all big headed and think they know it all, and actually they
know
sweet FA about aerials. They think they know more about aerials than
people who
fix them up every day actually. Theyve all got there little pet theorys
about
aerials and coax and radio waves and woe betide anybody who tries to put
them
right. Another thing there all as tight as a ducks arse. They dont like
to pay
thats for sure. They always have a great store of old poles and clamps
and
stuff and they want me to spend ages struggling to make this rusty old
stuff
fix together. They are always really old, I don't think young people
bother
with it. Maybe it will die out (cheer). They most of them smoke smelly
pipes
and call me son or sonny or lad, which really ****es me off.
Wayne

Old November 21st 03, 03:42 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

Well, I am old and I am cheap, but I do my own antenna work, Sonny.

Harold

and you can spell too :-)