Old October 17th 05, 01:16 AM
Bill Cherepy

Default "Fan" Full Wave Loops?

During a discussion of loops someone asked me if you can have a full
wave 40 meter loop inside a full wave 80 meter loop and I don't know
the answer. Anyone?

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA
Old October 17th 05, 02:16 AM
Bob Bob

Hi Bill

Well I quite happily ran a 6M loop inside a 15M one. Seperate feedpoints
etc. In my case I was trying to use the same mounting points (trees).

I didnt check how effective they were but the TX was happy and I spoke
to people on them!. Used 75r Q sections on each.

The 40 vs 80 might have some detuning effect on 40M and major pattern
change due to the harmonic relationship. You can always try modelling it..

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old October 17th 05, 03:27 AM
Richard Harrison

Bill Cherepy wrote:
"---can have a full wave 49 meter loop inside a full wave 80 meter
loop---?"

Bill Orr, W6SAI wrote a book, "All About Cubical Quad Antennas". One
topic is "Concentric Quad Antennas" starting on page 49. Bill Orr says:
"Interaction between the antennas of a two-band Quad is quite low."
Orr suggests separate feedlines for each antenna and making feedline
lengths odd multiples of a 1/4-wave so that the open-circuit of the
unused feedline will appear as a short-circuit at its antennas resonant
frequency at its feedpoint. Thus the unused assembly won`t likely
respond much at other frequencies.
Of course, antennas have a second resonance at about double their first
resonant frequency. Having the open end of the unused feedline
available, one could deliberately detune the second antenna to reduce
interaction.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old October 17th 05, 05:09 AM
Hal Rosser

"Bill Cherepy" wrote in message
During a discussion of loops someone asked me if you can have a full
wave 40 meter loop inside a full wave 80 meter loop and I don't know
the answer. Anyone?

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA

Many folks use that loop and a tuner for multiple band operation, and
therefore the smaller loop would not be needed.

Calculus not needed (was: Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit) David or Jo Anne Ryeburn Antenna 17 December 13th 03 10:48 AM
What Exactly is a Radio Wave? jj Antenna 25 November 3rd 03 12:14 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
Nonlinear wave propagation Tom Bruhns Antenna 9 September 12th 03 03:35 PM